Frigid Weather Hits O-Town

sweetpee_1993

Upper 20s where I live and in Orlando this morning. The highest today should be 51 degrees....

:dazzle:

Good thing I like this type of weather for a Saturday. Less people outside exploring the parks. ;)

Due to our super-late arrival this Friday night me & my gang won't be out in the parks until about lunch time but I intend to do it whether rain, shine, hot, cold, whatever. We're planning on Epcot for Saturday. If you see a family o' redheads running here & there shivering like mad it's prob'ly us! :wave:

It did occur to me to go buy a whooooole bunch of those Therma Care patches then stick 'em all over myself under my clothes. Whatcha think??? :lol:

Chroniq

We're here now, and it's AWFUL!

Horticulture has been in a tizzy since we got here. Each morning they're out covering more plants and flowers with the white frost-fabric. Epcot looks ridiculous right now but you can't blame them. It appeared as if they lost an entire stretch of bushes/flowers from the overnight freeze in Epcot, since they were digging them all up yesterday morning.

Any chance you could take some pictures of the steps horticulture is taking during this cold period? I'm giving a lecture on this topic next week and that would make for some excellent slides. Thanks very much if you can help.

Amused to Death

Do you have scientific proof? I'm guessing not because there is none.

PiratesVsTemp.png

Tom

Beta Return
Any chance you could take some pictures of the steps horticulture is taking during this cold period? I'm giving a lecture on this topic next week and that would make for some excellent slides. Thanks very much if you can help.

We took one in front of Imagination, but if we see more, we'll take more. We forgot the USB cable and our card reader doesn't read the SDHC card, so if you can wait until we get home this weekend, I'll send what we have.

PM me with your e-mail address if you want.

-Tom

NX2I85

Upper 20s where I live and in Orlando this morning. The highest today should be 51 degrees....

:dazzle:

Good thing I like this type of weather for a Saturday. Less people outside exploring the parks. ;)

I'm heading down at the end of next week. Even if cold weather remains I get a 25 degree WIN over what I'm dealing with in my little mid-Atlantic burg this week. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: And yup, I'm aware of the "humidity makes Orlando extra cold" phenomenon. :snore:

Call me selfish, but if it does remain on the cool side that just might help us tourists out because it could keep droves of freezing locals at home. A guy can dream, can't he? :veryconfu

marypoppins68

Due to our super-late arrival this Friday night me & my gang won't be out in the parks until about lunch time but I intend to do it whether rain, shine, hot, cold, whatever. We're planning on Epcot for Saturday. If you see a family o' redheads running here & there shivering like mad it's prob'ly us! :wave:

It did occur to me to go buy a whooooole bunch of those Therma Care patches then stick 'em all over myself under my clothes. Whatcha think??? :lol:

The Disney Half Marathon will be at Epcot Saturday. If you don't go until noon you'll probably miss it then.

Just heard the local weatherman from Tampa say that snow and sleet werent' out of the question for this weekend. Highs are only supposed to be in the lower 40's. Lows in the upper 20's.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm heading down at the end of next week. Even if cold weather remains I get a 25 degree WIN over what I'm dealing with in my little mid-Atlantic burg this week. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: And yup, I'm aware of the "humidity makes Orlando extra cold" phenomenon. :snore:

Call me selfish, but if it does remain on the cool side that just might help us tourists out because it could keep droves of freezing locals at home. A guy can dream, can't he? :veryconfu

Cold always drives people away. Certainly did the night of the last MVMCP...So many people overheard to say "Let's go...It's cold".:rolleyes: Wusses! :lol:

Tom

Beta Return

Weather.com says the humidity is 45%, but I'm not sure where it is. It feels extremely dry, and my skin represents that. I thought my hands got dry at home, but this is crazy.

Cold always drives people away. Certainly did the night of the last MVMCP...So many people overheard to say "Let's go...It's cold".:rolleyes: Wusses! :lol:

Put me on the "wuss" list then! :lol:

I see that they are finally calling for a high of 61 tomorrow, which means it will feel like 56 - but that's WAY better than the past few days. Studios felt extra cold today, but we stuck it out and were able to do ToT 3 times in a row with no wait tonight.

MissM

Humidity comments make me chuckle. Only because 45% humidity for me is crazy low. Since it's usually about 90+% for nine or ten solid months of the year here, for it to be that low is really low for us full-time residents! We're all complaining about dry skin and hair because it's so low from normal! :lol:

Don't get used to Thursday's bump in temps. It's a one-day slight increase then it's going right back down Friday.

By the way, this many days in a row of cold weather is so unnatural I'm not prepared for it. I don't have enough long-sleeve shirts/sweaters for this many days in a row of cold weather! Normally it's cold one day - two tops. :lol:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I do get a kick out of the non-Floridians making fun of the cold.

I always laugh at the tourists freezing their arses off at WDW (or elsewhere) wearing shorts and tees when it's 52 with a windchill in the 30s.

Talked to a lot of ticked off Iowa fans in SoFla this week for the Orange Bowl. Sure, they said it was a lot better than blowing snow and temps hovering in single digits ... BUT ... they were still cold. They still had to bundle up. And their dream vacations of sitting at the beach working on tans (and in some cases pre-bowl trips to theme parks and water parks) didn't turn out as planned.

Bottom line is cold is cold. And FLA is in a prolonged spell right now that really is very serious for our citrus and veggie crops as well as the poor and homeless folks. It's just not fun.

I may be taking a last minute trip to the west coast this weekend, and I'd love to get out of this terrible weather.

Right now: 72 in my home ... 40 outside (but thankfully no wind now so it does feel like 40).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why would the hot tubs be closed?

They wouldn't be and aren't.

Hell, ever been to a ski resort? They have 'em outside.

'course I do wonder if Disney is heating the pools to 82 like they used to for years and then lied about doing so for even more years ...

I'm a Floridian and I can tell the difference between 74 degree water and 82 degree.

captainkidd

Bottom line is cold is cold. And FLA is in a prolonged spell right now that really is very serious for our citrus and veggie crops as well as the poor and homeless folks. It's just not fun.

Although I do agree, living in New England, it's hard to be that worried. I'm sure there are plenty of homeless shelters in Florida. 20 degree nights in many parts is the norm for some of the homeless in other parts of the country. In some cases, those nights are a welcome change. We had some temps with a windchill of -10 last week.

captainkidd

I'd obviously rather have the temps in the 70's when we're there in a couple weeks, but if they're in the 50's, I'll deal. Wear a sweatshirt and a jacket, and you should be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom