Four Parks: One Stale World?

DisneyMusician2

People say they want progress and new attractions.

Yet many don't want to use Pixar. And don't want to close down older attractions. And don't want things to be down for extended periods of time.

Are there things that need fixing? Yes, there are. But I do not know if "stale" is the right word for it.

I have said for years that they were expanding beyond their means. No 5th gate, no new resorts, and for the love of the mouse, NO NEW DVC. It may make you some more money, but these sales aren't going to help the problem. The proliferation of DVC is hurting the area, IMO.

I'll hold my verdict until I see what happens over the next few years. I like the general direction new projects are taking, and some of the refurbs have been nice to see. That being said, the MK needs some serious work, but I don't think the lack of a new e-ticket is so bothersome there. I would rather see them keep what they have in better shape.

DisneyDad71

The point of getting on a Disney discussion board and saying what an awful place it is does what??? If you don't like it that much, don't go.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have been visiting this site for a few months now and I think it is remarkable how many members of this site seem to have nothing positve to say about the parks. Yet they seem to be there almost everyday. Seems foolish to keep giving a company that you believe is not staying up to par your hard earned money.

disneydiva72

Exactly what I was thinking. I have been visiting this site for a few months now and I think it is remarkable how many members of this site seem to have nothing positve to say about the parks. Yet they seem to be there almost everyday. Seems foolish to keep giving a company that you believe is not staying up to par your hard earned money.

and whos fault is that? Hmmmmmmmmmm....Disney maybe?

haveyoumetmark

This is disheartening. Management has been pretty bad recently. I mostly go to Epcot for the ambiance now. Somethings are absolutely dismal, DHS and PI to name a couple. Not good....

DisneyDad71

and whos fault is that? Hmmmmmmmmmm....Disney maybe?

I am sorry but I just do not see how you choosing to spend your money at a place that you feel is not providing a product worthy of that money is the company's fault. I guess I am missing something here.

If you think that the parks aren't doing a good job then why keep going? If you do keep going that must mean the good points far outweigh what is lacking. And if that is the case, why complain? It's supposed to be a place for vacations and relaxing. There are other places in the world you could go to and perhaps be happier with.

wdwCC

I have never in my life said WDW was an awful place.

Read what is written. Not what is in your head.

I love WDW. That's why I visit. That's why I was one of the first 3,000 people to buy an AP ... ever.

That's why I've spent so much money I don't even want to comtemplate how much.

What I do want is WDW to live up to its reputation and the legacy of its founders.

It isn't doing so now. Not even close. It's offering recycled magic to largely bumpkin tourists and newbies who never visited in the 1970s and 80s (many even 90s) who have no idea how much better the place used to be run.

Any questions?

OK let's say they do need to improve things at a more rapid rate. What are your recommendations? I would like to hear the changes that you would make if you were put in charge of the property.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I am sorry but I just do not see how you choosing to spend your money at a place that you feel is not providing a product worthy of that money is the company's fault. I guess I am missing something here.

If you think that the parks aren't doing a good job then why keep going? If you do keep going that must mean the good points far outweigh what is lacking. And if that is the case, why complain? It's supposed to be a place for vacations and relaxing. There are other places in the world you could go to and perhaps be happier with.

Are you genuinely saying that no one should raise issues of concern? Or are you some sort of ubber fan who believes Disney is beyond criticism. I hope you havent complained about gas prices, you could after all walk.

disneydiva72

Are you genuinely saying that no one should raise issues of concern? Or are you some sort of ubber fan who believes Disney is beyond criticism. I hope you havent complained about gas prices, you could after all walk.

EXACTLY!! I think some Disney fans (including myself, which is why I think I cant give up the Disney hotels but I hardly ever go to the parks) have this HOPE that it will get better, that this will be the year that you feel that special magic again....kinda like a bad marriage you just cant stop having hope for....

SirGoofy

While I'll agree MK has gotten a bit stale, and I think we all know why that is. *Cough*Management*Cough*

But to be fair, Potterland is the first major attraction to open since IOA opened.

Figment1986

Universal Orlando Resort isn't own by NBC Universal, it is just a partnership. And the only thing that is really been done (with already a delay is Harry Potter). The Roller Coaster is a clone from Universal Shanghai.

SeaWorld and Bush Gardens is been sold to another company after the merger of Bush with that other beer company from Germany.

NBC-Universal own and operate the parks, Blackstone Group does have an investment of like 50% into the orlando parks but when I talk to the PR people their signatures say NBC-Universal.

sure, Busch Entertainment may/will be sold after the buyout / merger goes through.... whenever it does.. but they will still being with them a lot of programs they were offering before including marine animal rescue and partnering with the Busch Family's conservation group. The purchase of the parks (if/when it happens) may ehance the offerings of the company as well, such if blackstone group was the one doing the purchase and adding it to its merlin entertainment group.

oh, and the roller coaster is not a clone of anything... Mauer Shone (who is the manufacturer) has not worked with universal before, and they have not done anything like this before...

EPCOT Explorer

That it will. What is coming over the next 4 years isn`t exactly too little too late, but it should never have taken so long. There is still a lot wrong with the management, their attitude and structure of running the parks but it looks like we`ll be saved a Pressler/Harris scenario. Things are a lot better than they were a decade ago.

Yes, the ecomomy is affecting plans. Not as much as you would have thought, but things are being watched very carefully with budgets and timeframes still movable feasts.

It is a fact that Spectromagic will be 20 years old by 2011. Even Fantillusion will be 15 years old by then. Tokyo moved forward with a totally new parade with Dreamlights, but Spectro is certainly showing its age. It is still great - but imagine what it could be like. The program to plus the staple MK E Rides is still progressing, with some plussing of already done deals. Space Mountain may not become Anahiem or Paris, but it should still be a vast improvement. There are many other ideas being bounced around but without taking the plunge the fact still remains it is 16 years since anything new was built in the MK. Epcot seems to be slowly moving out of the dark ages, though it is still an uphill struggle. Imagination should follow SSE in bringing in the 4th chapter of Futureworld. Showcase is slowly being updated using existing facilities - America, Mexico, China and Canada is evidence of this. More will follow. Of course, the big hit would be a new country with a family E Ticket. Don`t count on it. The Studios is in big need of help. A fragmented identity, no synergy between areas and attractions, a sadly neglected park icon and an overall shadow of its former self. Plans are in place to bring the park back to its glory days, but it shouldn`t have been allowed to get so bad. Didn`t they learn with Epcot in the late 90`s? TSMM had to happen - even if it was a cheap way of boosting attendence and news - but the end result speaks for itself. DAK is still flawed partly by guest perceptions and a park lush with theming and landscaping but little true attractions to eat into great chunks of time. Again, this should be fixed in the medium term but get things right first time and you don`t need a fix. Right, DCA and WDSP??

DVC is a money maker. Like it or not. Oversaturated coverage won`t be stopped since it is on a roll. Generic merchendise is a money saver. The retro tops have sparked an interest in specific items for specific areas, but much more is needed to avoid the corporate blandsville that the Main St Mall (Emporium) and half-a-facility-is-a-store (MouseGear) have become. There are so many easily-fixed faults in the parks (Odyssey, Life) and still too many dangerous desicions being gambled upon (Idol) but the future is brighter than it has been for a long time. It just needs a management team with the nerve to pull it off. There won`t be a Disney Decade again, nor a 1984-1994 era, but the stagnation of the mid to late 90's and early zeros is coming to end. Not fast enough, but it is happening.

fireworks-074.gif
fireworks-074.gif

fireworks-074.gif
fireworks-074.gif

Best news I have heard in a while on this website. Conformation is a very good thing.;):D:sohappy:

Thanks, Martin!

MousDad

Spoken like a true moderate. Above all and wiser than the masses. Yep we are all just a bunch of losers here.

Hey, I just want to know who's cuisine will reign supreme.

You can't argue that we are getting 2 completely different sets of inside info, right?

By the way, I love all the attention I get from you. Keep it coming! :wave:

DABIGCHEEZ

Nice Pumbas!!...

I completely agree with the OP. Just cause it is Disney .... doesn't make it the best. :eek: I am hoping management sees the competitors projects and come up with somethings that blow them all away, but the way things are going I have my doubts. :zipit: I hope I am pleasantly surprised over the next few years!!

DisneyDad71

If you want to compare gas prices, that is something that almost everyone in America has to deal with to lead their lives in today's society, to going to a theme park, which is a choice for recreation, obviously you have different priorities than I do.

I visit this site to get information for my family's yearly trip. I normally do not post on these forums but since I am laid up sick today I decided to put my two cents in.

I guess I am an ubber fan. If by ubber fan you mean some one who takes his family there once a year, enjoys hiomself and once he feels that he is not getting his money's worth will no longer go there. Than I am guilty as charged.

When I read alot of these posts I tend to find it ammusing how people go there all the time, dissect every little thing, complain about it, it doesn't change, and then the cycle continues. I can't understand why an adult who does not have any vested interest in a company would critique it all the time and yet keep handing the company their money.

I wish that what Disney did on a daily basis was a priority to me. That would mean my life got a whole lot simpler. In a way I am jealous of you. Salud!

jt04

If you want to compare gas prices, that is something that almost everyone in America has to deal with to lead their lives in today's society, to going to a theme park, which is a choice for recreation, obviously you have different priorities than I do.

I visit this site to get information for my family's yearly trip. I normally do not post on these forums but since I am laid up sick today I decided to put my two cents in.

I guess I am an ubber fan. If by ubber fan you mean some one who takes his family there once a year, enjoys hiomself and once he feels that he is not getting his money's worth will no longer go there. Than I am guilty as charged.

When I read alot of these posts I tend to find it ammusing how people go there all the time, dissect every little thing, complain about it, it doesn't change, and then the cycle continues. I can't understand why an adult who does not have any vested interest in a company would critique it all the time and yet keep handing the company their money.

I wish that what Disney did on a daily basis was a priority to me. That would mean my life got a whole lot simpler. In a way I am jealous of you. Salud!

Just speaking for myself, I won't be going back to the parks until they address some of the issues people bring up here. AP's are expiring and they won't be renewed. I am sure I am not alone in my sentiment. The criticisms offered on this forum are of the "constructive" type. Savvy?

I think the problem is, some people spoil themselves with Disney. There is a huge amount of people, who have never been to Disney, who would love everything and think everything is amazing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ladies and Gentlemen, in this corner, we have Spirit/WDW1974 and his prediction of nothing new, except maybe Mermaid and MI coaster between now and the 40th, no major anniversary celebration, and nothing but cuts, cuts, cuts, cuts.

In the other corner, we have Lee, Martin, and Jedi of wdwmagic who have each been telling us for weeks about projects that are imminent at the world, including Mermaid, MI, JII, DAK project, SM (more than cleaning), and others.

Could this just be the incessant pessimism of LP challenging the cautiously optimistic DOMs of wdwmagic? Or are there competing forces in TWDC who are leaking separate sets of info, waging a hidden battle for the direction of the parks? Will the economy be the ultimate victor in this fight?

It's going to be interesting to see who turns out to be right, although in actuality it will probably end up being all parties being a little right and a little wrong.

You never know ... everyone has their agendas.

Mine is simply to see WDW live up to its reputation and the legacy of its founders and developers.

I can't say I read this site regularly. I don't have a huge amount of time for online Disney fan sites and when I do I'll admit that I spend most of my time on LP.com.

I can only say that if the folks you mention are saying things are imminent at WDW that either they have better sources in Orlando than I do (possible) or Burbank and Glendale (very, very doubtful). I admit I know far more about what Disney is doing (and going to do) in Anaheim and China and Japan then I do with my 'home' resort these days.

But all of this talk about projects getting built just runs smack in the face with everything I have heard. And considering how uncrowded the parks are now and the unheard of levels of discounting ($49 rooms and they'll give you a 35% across the board merchandise discount!) coming up, plus what I am hearing about booking form 2009 ... well, I just don't buy Disney investing anything in WDW beyond DVC and what has already passed through financing.

Sorry, I really want to be wrong here.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
I have never in my life said WDW was an awful place.

Read what is written. Not what is in your head.

I love WDW. That's why I visit. That's why I was one of the first 3,000 people to buy an AP ... ever.

That's why I've spent so much money I don't even want to comtemplate how much.

What I do want is WDW to live up to its reputation and the legacy of its founders.

It isn't doing so now. Not even close. It's offering recycled magic to largely bumpkin tourists and newbies who never visited in the 1970s and 80s (many even 90s) who have no idea how much better the place used to be run.

Any questions?

Wow what an elitist statement.

So what your saying is... it is possible to visit WDW too many times.

I'd really like to know what's so elitist about that statement?

Other than the fact it's true.

And, no, I never said it was possible to visit WDW too many times ... but I do think people who only visit WDW should expand both their Disney travel experiences as well as try and visit some non-Disney and non-theme park destinations.

Any other questions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom