First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

googilycub

Saw this in the pictures from the 80's thread. Check out the cups....

38096_420352449236_501609236_4435685_4874920_n.jpg
Hmm, I wonder if those people had a lesser experience because their cups did not say Disney on them?

captainkidd

Hmm, I wonder if those people had a lesser experience because their cups did not say Disney on them?

Good point. So let me ask you this:

If Disney was disgustingly dirty when it opened in the 70's, but then became the pristine playground it became in the 80's and 90's, but then went back to being a dump again, would it be OK because at 1 time it was a dump?

Point being - You don't give something, take it away, and expect people not to notice. And as has been said I dare say at least 50 times already, if it doesn't bother you, no problem. Move along.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The uniqueness of Disney was the introduction of dark rides. That is what made them different then the other parks

Disney didn't invent the dark ride.. they had been around along before Disneyland. It's just something that has been associated with Disney Parks through their memorable ones. For a view of dark rides that doesn't include Disney.. just look at references like this: http://entertainmentdesigner.com/hi...laughter-in-the-dark-a-history-of-dark-rides/

Disneyland has always been about atmosphere and the sum of the parts, rather than the individual parts being new or innovative themselves.

Skippy's Pal

24 pages about paper cups...amazing.

Not really though -- more about an intangible, hard-to-define specialness, an aura apart from daily life that's made up of numerous little things, of which cups and napkins and other little things combine together to make up an environment we cherish.

rob0519

Could this thread please go back to being a discussion, rather than an argument? Thank you.

Not to be a smarta**, but ...............
dis·cus·sion

   [dih-skuhsh-uhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., especially to explore solutions; informal debate.

The Mom

Premium Member
Not to be a smarta**, but ...............
dis·cus·sion

   [dih-skuhsh-uhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., especially to explore solutions; informal debate.

Then perhaps people should learn to argue without tossing insults, disparaging remarks, and being generally rude? ;) I think I would prefer to have a discussion with my husband, rather than an argument.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney didn't invent the dark ride.. they had been around along before Disneyland. It's just something that has been associated with Disney Parks through their memorable ones. For a view of dark rides that doesn't include Disney.. just look at references like this: http://entertainmentdesigner.com/hi...laughter-in-the-dark-a-history-of-dark-rides/

Disneyland has always been about atmosphere and the sum of the parts, rather than the individual parts being new or innovative themselves.

I know this is kinda off topic, but for anyone that is interested in historic parks here is a link to a "dark ride" built in 1905 at a "trolley park" outside of Philadelphia. At the turn of the last century it was one of the top parks in the country and was famous for rides and music. It closed in the 1970s and is now a big shopping mall.

http://www.wgpark.com/walk.asp?wage=6

rob0519

Then perhaps people should learn to argue without tossing insults, disparaging remarks, and being generally rude? ;) I think I would prefer to have a discussion with my husband, rather than an argument.

I agree. People should learn to argue or discuss without throwing insults and generally being rude. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of these forums and society in general as of late.

GenerationX

When the cups with logos were introduced sometime in the 80s or 90s, the Disney fan community's reaction was probably "Cool, another souvenir". The average guest's reaction was significantly more muted, I suspect.

There are meaningful details (like the facade of the Hollywood Tower Hotel) that add to most park goers' experience, because they are integral to the immersive experience. Then, there are marketing details (like the logos on cups and napkins) that add to some park goers' experience, but are likely unnoticed, unappreciated, or unliked ("Do they have to put their logo on everything?") by the average guest.

captainkidd

I agree. People should learn to argue or discuss without throwing insults and generally being rude. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of these forums and society in general as of late.

These forums are no different than any other message board. Many times, words read online are taken out of context, and no matter how much anyone says "Just ignore it", these are topics that we're all passionate about, or else we wouldn't be here. We're human beings, not machines.

AEfx

When the cups with logos were introduced sometime in the 80s or 90s, the Disney fan community's reaction was probably "Cool, another souvenir". The average guest's reaction was significantly more muted, I suspect.

There are meaningful details (like the facade of the Hollywood Tower Hotel) that add to most park goers' experience, because they are integral to the immersive experience. Then, there are marketing details (like the logos on cups and napkins) that add to some park goers' experience, but are likely unnoticed, unappreciated, or unliked ("Do they have to put their logo on everything?") by the average guest.

Well, if people feel "Do they have to put a logo on everything?" they will still "unlike" these as they just have yet another generic logo.

I actually think you are making the opposite argument here - details are, well, DETAILS. The facade of ToT is a feature, not a "detail". Details are the little things that overall add up to an immersive experience.

Look, is this the biggest thing in the World? No. But being in the Magic Kingdom and having a Magic Kingdom cup or napkin was kind of neat. And while yes, it may not have been a huge deal that everyone had a deep thought about, it subconsciously added to the overall "transport you to another place" feel of the parks.

It astounds me that people believe that generic could ever be better than park-specific. I see people thinking it's not a big deal - it's not - but it certainly is easy to recognize the impact all the paper/plastic things guests interact with during their stay - receipts, shopping bags, drink cups, napkins, etc. - that while disposable still offer a little touch of uniqueness to visiting a park.

Charging us more, giving us less, cutting every corner they can. Sure, that's the American way - but it wasn't always the Disney way, and that's sad. We pay a lot of money for a premium experience at WDW, the prices keep going up and up, but they keep cutting back. It's just not the way it always was - yes, a corporation needs to make as big a profit as possible, but with Universal trouncing Disney these days with Rides and Attractions, the least they could do is keep up appearances that Disney is still a premium experience.

GenerationX

Well, if people feel "Do they have to put a logo on everything?" they will still "unlike" these as they just have yet another generic logo.

I actually think you are making the opposite argument here - details are, well, DETAILS. The facade of ToT is a feature, not a "detail". Details are the little things that overall add up to an immersive experience.

Look, is this the biggest thing in the World? No. But being in the Magic Kingdom and having a Magic Kingdom cup or napkin was kind of neat. And while yes, it may not have been a huge deal that everyone had a deep thought about, it subconsciously added to the overall "transport you to another place" feel of the parks.

It astounds me that people believe that generic could ever be better than park-specific. I see people thinking it's not a big deal - it's not - but it certainly is easy to recognize the impact all the paper/plastic things guests interact with during their stay - receipts, shopping bags, drink cups, napkins, etc. - that while disposable still offer a little touch of uniqueness to visiting a park.

Charging us more, giving us less, cutting every corner they can. Sure, that's the American way - but it wasn't always the Disney way, and that's sad. We pay a lot of money for a premium experience at WDW, the prices keep going up and up, but they keep cutting back. It's just not the way it always was - yes, a corporation needs to make as big a profit as possible, but with Universal trouncing Disney these days with Rides and Attractions, the least they could do is keep up appearances that Disney is still a premium experience.
If the facade of ToT is a feature, rather than a detail, let's just say the individual elements that make up the facade are details. An element as small as having the W in Hollywood slightly off line from the other letters is a detail. This, to me, creates an immersive, themed experience. Mickey ears on napkins and cups create an immersive, Disney-marketing experience. I recognize the latter has some value, particularly to Disney fanatics, but I'm far more interested in the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom