First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyPeace

Someone mentioned business 101.

Business 101 involves consistency in branding. Consistency in branding means having the same logo with the same colors on cups, napkins, merchandise, etc.

It does not mean having it for a while, switching to Coke cups and plain napkins then maybe or maybe not back to Disney branded cups and napkins. So from a business point of view it is bad practice.

From a guest point of view, inconsistency shakes up loyalty. Things like this do matter.

Beside that it looks cheap. And WDW is the most visited park in the world. Inexcusable.

melmood2000

I'm not sure about a big company like Disney, but The small town restaurant I work for gets free cups (the same as these) if they buy so much soda. We all know that Disney sells coke but think about all the advertisement for coke every cup is doing.

I like the themed cups but like others have said I just throw it away. :confused:

CTXRover

Aren't the same cups and napkins produced for both WDW and DL as part of the "one Disney" philosophy? The last incarnation and holiday ones have said " Disney Parks". Is DL still using them? I would think larger supplies would be cheaper than supplies just for DL, which was probably the reason for the change from WDW and DL specific napkins several years ago.

I also thought the napkins (and maybe cups) are sponsored by GP anyway, or at least their name and logo is on the back of the napkins, so weren't they helping to pick up the bill? If so, how would cutting printed cups and napkins save money for TDO?

I only have my opinion too, but I'd suspect this is a supply issue as they phase out the let the memories begin campaign while awaiting the holiday branded cups and napkins that will take us until January. We know the let the memories campaign is ending as the big star of that is coming to an end shortly to become celebrate the magic castle projection show.

I guess time will only tell. We are about to go into the Halloween season which had its own special napkins and cups in the past few years.

dreamfinder

Is it the fact that these aren't really eco friendly bothering everyone or the fact that they are coke cups? Does it matter? LOL Just asking! If it is the eco thing I totally get it...other than that...really? :rolleyes:

Each is an un eco friendly as the other. Both use dies, waxy coating that makes it harder to recycle, and PAPER. Heck, only a small step above plastic. If WDW truly wanted to push eco friendly, they would simply switch to the refillable cups/mugs/gallon jugs that are refillable property wide. Better yet, switch to a system that lets you refill any container you brought with you, but you need to scan a barcode/swipe card/RFID whatnot.

The bothering is the un branded aspect of the cups. I have no problems with Coke logos if they were hand in hand with Disney theming. See the recent Starbucks cups at DCA for an example of how this can be done, and done well. And I believe that some of the cups/mugs in the past did have the Coke logo worked into the design. I guarantee you that Disney didn't pay full price for those.

The fact that people are reporting it is still only at one location seems odd. Is the cost accounting/procurement structure that convoluted that one CS location cannot cross charge/cross ship more branded cups? Based on sheer volume if it was a 2 week changeover period, I would expect other locations to be switching over any second.

And for everyone who says that the cups/napkins just get thrown out when you are done, think about all the other little things that add up to a memorable Disney trip that seem inconsequential.
Mickey Bars! Lets just change em to a generic Dove bar on a stick, and save 30 cents in the production cost, but still charge the same price for them at the ice cream carts. You just eat them in 2 minutes, so who cares what it looks like.
Mickey Confetti! Lets just switch back to plan old confetti to use during any confetti blast. They just get swept up in 10 minutes, so who will notice.
Mickey Stickers from CMs! Lets change to a generic smiley face sticker. Who will notice that it has the Wal-Mart logo on them. They just get thrown out at the end of the day or when you change your clothes.
Mickey Branded Soap! You just use it to wash, it goes down the drain almost immediately after you use it. Lets switch to a plain bar that says "Soap" on it like at the no-tell motel on I-4.
All of the above are things that you may or may not think of being as a big deal, but the Disney experience is the sum of the whole. Losing one or two may not seem like a big deal. But if you lose 1 every 3-4 months, or even each year, 5-10 years you go back to WDW and think "I miss X. Wasn't it cool how they had Y?" or "Gee, why are we paying $115 per day to come here again? Junior just hops on the WiFi all day, it's nothing like when we were kids." And in this case it would be an instance of the old time really being better than how it is now.

dcibrando

Opinion. Thanks for playing.

are you also upset something with "Disney" isn't also stamped on forks, spoons, knives, ketchup packets, chairs, tables, toilets, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. etc.? Or would you be if they were originally on them but then they removed them?

tomman710

ladies and gentlemen... they are just cups and napkins - they don't have to have disney stamped on them somewhere - enjoy your disney vacation

Yes just napkins and cups ... and in all other scenarios no one would be talking about it.

However, the problem people have with the cups and napkins is not SPECIFICALLY about the cups and napkins. It's the philosophical driving force behind those decisions. Essentially that TDO continues to take away, continues to cut back, and continues to marginalize and homogenize a special product. They do this not with the intent to divert funds elsewhere, enhance, or invest back into the product.

So yes, napkins and cups are insignificant and, frankly, stupid, but added with the rest of the trends it just speaks volumes about current management's philosophy and, realistically, what they think of us as consumers.

dcibrando

Yes just napkins and cups ... and in all other scenarios no one would be talking about it.

However, the problem people have with the cups and napkins is not SPECIFICALLY about the cups and napkins. It's the philosophical driving force behind those decisions. Essentially that TDO continues to take away, continues to cut back, and continues to marginalize and homogenize a special product. They do this not with the intent to divert funds elsewhere, enhance, or invest back into the product.

So yes, napkins and cups are insignificant and, frankly, stupid, but added with the rest of the trends it just speaks volumes about current management's philosophy and, realistically, what they think of us as consumers.

I do agree with what you are saying abou the tends... I don't like what I've been seeing over the years (direction wise) eithr... but if cutting the disney print on napkins and cups keep my park tickets or burger from going up another couple of dollars then I'm all for it. You're right though, it's more about Disney making/saving money.. not saving guest money

captainkidd

are you also upset something with "Disney" isn't also stamped on forks, spoons, knives, ketchup packets, chairs, tables, toilets, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. etc.? Or would you be if they were originally on them but then they removed them?

I'd be upset with anything that they put their stamp on and then took away.

tomman710

I do agree with what you are saying abou the tends... I don't like what I've been seeing over the years (direction wise) eithr... but if cutting the disney print on napkins and cups keep my park tickets or burger from going up another couple of dollars then I'm all for it. You're right though, it's more about Disney making/saving money.. not saving guest money

Well to your point ... do park tickets ever stop going up? Do food prices ever go down?

Or perhaps a better question, do you think that no matter how much they may save in other areas that they will ever decrease ticket or food prices?

I'd like to hope so but I'd bet that happens after they rebuild Horizons, build Thunder Mesa, and bring back the Adventurer's Club.

dcibrando

Well to your point ... do park tickets ever stop going up? Do food prices ever go down?

Or perhaps a better question, do you think that no matter how much they may save in other areas that they will ever decrease ticket or food prices?

I'd like to hope so but I'd bet that happens after they rebuild Horizons, build Thunder Mesa, and bring back the Adventurer's Club.

well I know prices will never come DOWN but if it keeps something somewhere from going up (although highly unlikely I know) then I can survive with a red solo cup if I had to

tomman710

well I know prices will never come DOWN but if it keeps something somewhere from going up (although highly unlikely I know) then I can survive with a red solo cup if I had to

I think we are on the same page. Yes I totally agree and I'd be on board with cost diverting but the problem is its just cutting ... that's why I feel everyone is upset. It's because these cost cutting measures are not either A) used to fund other projects or B) given back to the fans in other ways.

Fraisie

I hate the cheapening of things if that's indeed what's going on here. Having said that, Sunshine Seasons is the best counter service location in any park.

Especially for vegetarians; one of the few places in WDW where we don't have to rely on the veggie burger or the grilled vegetables sandwich.

dcibrando

I think we are on the same page. Yes I totally agree and I'd be on board with cost diverting but the problem is its just cutting ... that's why I feel everyone is upset. It's because these cost cutting measures are not either A) used to fund other projects or B) given back to the fans in other ways.

true, and not visible yet... but as a business man, if you have more cash on hand (regardless of where it comes from), you are more likely to do something with it

tomman710

true, and not visible yet... but as a business man, if you have more cash on hand (regardless of where it comes from), you are more likely to do something with it

Not to belabor the point, yes I agree with you in theory but when specifically looking at TDO ... the evidence is clear, unfortunately they aren't doing anything with it ...

... but maybe if I put my Mongello Glasses on ... they are saving for something HUGE ...

... like a boat ride through the DVC resorts of tomorrow.

ParentsOf4

Today a 6-day ticket with hopper & water parks costs $357 or $59.50/day. A 3-day ticket for WDW in 1983 costs (in inflation adjusted dollars) $80.51 or $26.84/day. Even taking into account park additions and adjusting for inflation, a day at WDW is now more than twice as expensive as it was in 1983.

In 1983, WDW was able to afford Disney specific paraphernalia, top-of-line maintenance, and a regular stream of theme park improvements at half the ticket prices. Where exactly is the all money going?

The following links should help you answer the question:

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-15/business/fi-7525_1_walt-disney

And Bob Iger's compensation package:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/12/ceo-compensation-11_Robert-A-Iger_WM6O.html

Polydweller

Today a 6-day ticket with hopper & water parks costs $357 or $59.50/day. A 3-day ticket for WDW in 1983 costs (in inflation adjusted dollars) $80.51, or $26.84/day. Even taking into account park additions and adjusting for inflation, a day at WDW is now more than twice as expensive as it was in 1983.
Except there were only 2 parks in 1983. Now there are 4. Double the parks and $7 less than double the price on a double length ticket. That doesn't look too bad at all over nearly 20 years.

ParentsOf4

Except there were only 2 parks in 1983. Now there are 4. Double the parks and $7 less than double the price on a double length ticket. That doesn't look too bad at all over nearly 20 years.
No, your math is way off. A 6-day ticket at WDW costs $357 or $59.50/day. That's per day. I've aleady factored in additional parks. The actual ticket is now 4 times more expensive in inflation adjusted dollars.

In addition, I've accounted for inflation. In absolute dollars a 1983 3-day hopper was $35. That means in absolute dollars, a ticket is 10 times more expensive.

Ask yourself this question, would you rather pay $80.51 for a 3-day hopper that only included MK and Epcot or pay $357 for a 6-day hopper that included all the current parks? Or, if you will, pay an extra $276.49 ($357 - $80.51) so you could spend 3 more days as DHS, DAK, and the water parks?

draybook

Somehow I think we'll survive on our upcoming trip. I couldn't care less if the napkins or cups are decorated. They're throw away items, so why waste money making them look fancy? That's about the same as complaining because there's no logo on the toilet paper. If the cups hold my drink and the napkins wipe my face then I'm a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom