First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainkidd

But Space Mountain isn't a Wild Mouse coaster

Roller coaster aficionados will tell you (correctly) that Space Mountain is a designer version of The Wild Mouse, a midway ride that's been around for at least 50 years. There are no long drops or swooping hills as there are on a traditional roller coaster--only quick, unexpected turns and small drops. Disney's contribution essentially was to add a space theme to The Wild Mouse and put it in the dark. And this does indeed make the mouse seem wilder.

alphac2005

It really is endearing to see someone care about the details. It has lasting effect, not on everyone, but on many. It makes a difference in reputation, which definitely affects not only future return visits but in word-of-mouth.

Are we talking about one napkin? No. We are talking about the cumulative effect of special experiences and attention to detail. Nothing can beat that in word-of-mouth repution.

These probably are temporary cups, and maybe the same for the blank napkins -- ones supplied by the vendor on short notice. But that in itself may indicate a lack of planning.

I had a friend who owns a small local business (trash hauling) who built it from the start with her husband and his pickup truck, and now has 3,000 customers. She built her reputation on attention to detail and customer service -- they would pick your cans up from the backyard if asked.

She was once at an Olive Garden with me twice in the same month. The first time, she ordered coffee and the restaurant was out of sugar packets. They told her that the truck had not come in yet, with the sugar packets. She asked didn't they use sugar in the kitchen, and they said yes. They were surprised when she expected them to bring her sugar from the kitchen's supply.

The next visit, they were out of the vanilla ice cream on the featured dessert. She was again told that the truck would not be in for another few days with more ice cream. She asked the manager had they considered going to the grocery store in the same shopping center and getting more vanilla ice cream, and he reluctantly said that they had actually aready done that a couple of times. She said it was time to do that again! (They did, and she got her dessert, exactly as it was featured on the picture on the big ad.) She stopped going to OG for a long while, though.

The point is, while things happen, the attention to detail, both in planning AND in service or execution go a long way. The little things matter. Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes you have to accept something lesser. But both then (how you respond to a problem) AND in the planning (like making even the napkins special), the little things make a difference in reputation... and affect the bottom line.

As a long-time business owner, what an excellent post. Disney created the standard and Florida management fails to operate under the standards that they created. All the while, they love using the Disney Institute (shocking that name still lives) moniker to "teach" other businesses and corporations about how to operate at a high standard of which they no longer operate themselves.

As a child, the little things like the cups, napkins, so many original little items were special. (Heck, my parents proudly collected them and love them.) It did exactly as intended, it molded another young consumer to grow up and be loyal to their product. My children will never have the loyalty to the company as I did.

The argument around here used to be how all of these things put together is what made Disney stand apart from Six Flags. Disney has strip mined these little things and they don't stand apart nearly as they once did.

Lisalyn

Is it the fact that these aren't really eco friendly bothering everyone or the fact that they are coke cups? Does it matter? LOL Just asking! If it is the eco thing I totally get it...other than that...really? :rolleyes:

tomman710

My comment was directed toward the statement that all major businesses do it this way. You do obviously have knowledge of the business world and I respect that. You are also well educated at two fine schools from Texas (having been a lifelong Texan until recently I know the quality those two institutes oh higher learning demand). Although I disagree that all major corporations top end leadership look only for ways to pump up their bonuses.

The comment about where I'm sending my kids is a valid one as I'm afraid many institutions graduate young people with the philosophy that corporations are nothing more than a place to get benefits and a paycheck and are sources of endless cash. I should not have assumed you attended one of those educational institutions. That was wrong on my part.

Well ... of course the fact that we are Texans bridges all gaps and mends all wounds.

I would like to mention this, and please don't read into this being argumentative ...

I am over generalizing here but corporations are designed to make people money, I think few corporations are in it for the satisfaction of a job well done or to better society through whatever product they wish to peddle. I know the corporation I am with now, yes I like what I do and I want to do a good job but if I had unlimited resources I wouldn't choose to do this because it makes me feel good. I do it for the money.

Maybe that is too cynical of a view but too much first hand experience (but yes I am still young, relatively) has shown me that executives drive decisions for the corporations based on how they "personally" can benefit. If their salary and bonuses were fixed why change anything? This isn't just how they decide to do it but how the management above them motivates them to do it.

Specifically about TDO ... why would they care at all about a smaller bottom line if their bonuses were not attached to it? What incentive would there be for them to employ cost cutting strategies if the company is already profitable? Actually, judging by annual reports extremely profitable.

Why would they want the company to be more profitable if their salaries and bonuses were fixed? Obviously they want the company to be profitable so they could have a job but why not be satisfied with status quo? Why continue to look for ways to cut costs ... unless, like most corporations, their "bosses" motivate them by tying their bonuses to company profitability?

Now we have gotten off topic a bit, because the "great cup debate" might be premature ... but maybe it's not, maybe it's just another way they've found to save a few hundred thousand thus making the bottom line something more ... and maybe that something more is worth it to them.

Lee

Adventurer
Roller coaster aficionados will tell you (correctly) that Space Mountain is a designer version of The Wild Mouse, a midway ride that's been around for at least 50 years. There are no long drops or swooping hills as there are on a traditional roller coaster--only quick, unexpected turns and small drops. Disney's contribution essentially was to add a space theme to The Wild Mouse and put it in the dark. And this does indeed make the mouse seem wilder.
Nice quote...but still not accurate.
The minute you bank a turn...no wild mouse.

captainkidd

Nice quote...but still not accurate.
The minute you bank a turn...no wild mouse.

Not being a roller coaster engineer or designer, I have no idea what the qualifications are. Everything I have ever read about says it's basically just a Wild Mouse inside. Quite honestly, I don't even know what the Wild Mouse is.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Well ... of course the fact that we are Texans bridges all gaps and mends all wounds.

I would like to mention this, and please don't read into this being argumentative ...

I am over generalizing here but corporations are designed to make people money, I think few corporations are in it for the satisfaction of a job well done or to better society through whatever product they wish to peddle. I know the corporation I am with now, yes I like what I do and I want to do a good job but if I had unlimited resources I wouldn't choose to do this because it makes me feel good. I do it for the money.

Maybe that is too cynical of a view but too much first hand experience (but yes I am still young, relatively) has shown me that executives drive decisions for the corporations based on how they "personally" can benefit. If their salary and bonuses were fixed why change anything? This isn't just how they decide to do it but how the management above them motivates them to do it.

Specifically about TDO ... why would they care at all about a smaller bottom line if their bonuses were not attached to it? What incentive would there be for them to employ cost cutting strategies if the company is already profitable? Actually, judging by annual reports extremely profitable.

Why would they want the company to be more profitable if their salaries and bonuses were fixed? Obviously they want the company to be profitable so they could have a job but why not be satisfied with status quo? Why continue to look for ways to cut costs ... unless, like most corporations, their "bosses" motivate them by tying their bonuses to company profitability?

Now we have gotten off topic a bit, because the "great cup debate" might be premature ... but maybe it's not, maybe it's just another way they've found to save a few hundred thousand thus making the bottom line something more ... and maybe that something more is worth it to them.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I too don't do what I do solely for the warm fuzzys. I probably would not be sitting in a hotel on the outskirts of Hurricane Isaac right now waiting to get into storm stricken areas to help my customers if I was not being paid to do so. I do enjoy what I do immensely because I get to help people when they need it the most. I also do charitable work back home not related to paid work.

Corporations have to attract leaders that have the knowledge and vision to make cultural (organizational) and directional changes. You will not attract those types of people unless you incentivize the compensation. That individual or those individuals have a huge burden to bear. I think a lot of people that armchair CEO have zero clue what it entails to have that kind of responsibility. Have there been the Bernie Madofs (sp?) of the corporate world, absolutely. But I would be willing to wager that the vast majority of corporate leaders that work on an incentive basis are ethical. If not, then we are judging from a position that we have no right to judge from.

Does it stink hat there are no logos on the napkins or cups, some say yes, I say no. Would you ( and I say that meaning anyone) like to be the one hat has to make the decision to not hire people or layoff people or keep logos on disposable eating implements........

Sometimes I wonder what would happen on these boards if WDW were shuttered because Disney had not insisted it be run at a certain profit level? Would people be accusing those leaders who make those napkin and cup logo decisions of not being responsible in thinking of the tens of thousands of people who work there? (and yes folks I fully believe that Disney is making these small issue item decisions because they are looking for less impactfull ways of being financially sound in a highly anti business environment).

invader

Not being a roller coaster engineer or designer, I have no idea what the qualifications are. Everything I have ever read about says it's basically just a Wild Mouse inside. Quite honestly, I don't even know what the Wild Mouse is.
LOL. Some of the things you see on these boards...

Timothy_Q

You're funny

bethymouse

I thought most all of Disney paper products were recycled? It's like American Idol where they advertise COKE all over the place! I hope it's temporary because I know some scrapbookers who save EVERYTHING w/ Disney on them ! LOL.:D

Lee

Adventurer
This here is a wild mouse coaster. Tight turns. No banking. No large drops.

Attachments

• wild_mouse.jpg
    wild_mouse.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 79

Turtle

ARE THESE NAPKIN CHANGES SERIOUS??? THAT WAS LEGIT SOME LITTLE MAGIC FOR EVERY TRIP WHEN I GO

TimeTrip

This here is a wild mouse coaster. Tight turns. No banking. No large drops.
They usually have at least one "big" one somewhere.. like 20-30 feet I would guess. The one at Legoland FL is actually 50 feet... How tall is the big drop in Space Mountain? I''d guess its just beyond the ball park of your average wild mouse coaster big drop.

Still an even better example would be Primeval Whirl. It's pretty much a wild mouse with spinning cars and some extra decor.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm doing a quick hit-and-run here, and skipped 90% of the posts, but will offer up my two cents.

Having worked in food service and event planning for large festivals, I have a pretty good idea as to what has happened. Coke was at risk of losing a contract, and Disney used their leverage to get Coke to provide cups at some (or perhaps, eventually, all) QS locations as part of the bargaining.

Coke complied, so they get to keep their contract, and probably make even less money on their product. Meanwhile, Disney gets to cut Mickey Cups out of their budget, right along with Mickey Napkins.

So, now we're dining at Taco Bell....plain brown recycled napkins and cups that have more of the drink manufacturer's logo on them than that of the seller.

I don't care how someone wants to spin this, this is yet another cost-cutting measure....and unfortunately, it's at the expense of another company that's just trying to make a living. Coke's a big company, but losing a contract to Pepsi is devastating. So, another $0.05 per drink at Coke's expense - and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney makes them come in and stock their own inventory in all of their locations.....hmmmm.....a lot like a certain national mega store that Sam Walton started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom