First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomman710

Today a 6-day ticket with hopper & water parks costs $357 or $59.50/day. A 3-day ticket for WDW in 1983 costs (in inflation adjusted dollars) $80.51 or $26.84/day. Even taking into account park additions and adjusting for inflation, a day at WDW is now more than twice as expensive as it was in 1983.

In 1983, WDW was able to afford Disney specific paraphernalia, top-of-line maintenance, and a regular stream of theme park improvements at half the ticket prices. Where exactly is the all money going?

The following links should help you answer the question:

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-15/business/fi-7525_1_walt-disney

And Bob Iger's compensation package:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/12/ceo-compensation-11_Robert-A-Iger_WM6O.html

Hmmm ... I wonder where that $13,000,000.00 bonus came from?

rioriz

Class envy... it's a fad that I hope goes away soon.
Can i "like" this x10....it is something we never had before but has been rampet as of late, maybe it is the sour economy...

back on topic! Am I the only one who doesn't give a hoot whats printed on the napkin i wipe my mouth of clean up my mess with? I would like to see the age demo of those here that do feel this is a big issues. It may be due to the changing of society and expectations

flynnibus

Premium Member
Somehow I think we'll survive on our upcoming trip. I couldn't care less if the napkins or cups are decorated. They're throw away items, so why waste money making them look fancy?

So are the park maps and time sheets. Are you ready to trade those in for black and white xerox copies?

asianway

So are the park maps and time sheets. Are you ready to trade those in for black and white xerox copies?
My theory remains that people who don't think such things are important can't really afford WDW so think these cuts coupled with the constant discounting will allow them continue to go..,

tomman710

So you wouldn't want a 13M bonus?

So I assume you're cool with sacrificing attractions/experiences so Iggy gets a bigger bonus? Hey I understand if you think he's doing a good job and he's worth it. I think Arian Foster is woth 40M if he wins the Texans a superbowl. So I get ascribing worth to people and their contributions.

But what about say a $6,000,000.00 bonus for Iggy and take the other 7 and clean up and maintain some attractions? Would that be so unacceptable?

I don't think it's class envy (although I'd gladly take a 13M bonus) I think it's WDW Envy ... I see that money that could be used and it's going somewhere else (to line an already fat bank account).

wdwfan22

My theory remains that people who don't think such things are important can't really afford WDW so think these cuts coupled with the constant discounting will allow them continue to go..,

I'm at Disney about once a month and I don't even live in Orlando so I most definitely can afford Disney. With that being said I couldn't care less what's on the damn napkins.

asianway

I'm at Disney about once a month and I don't even live in Orlando so I most definitely can afford Disney. With that being said I couldn't care less what's on the damn napkins.

Ok...sounds like you fall into that special category of fan...

luv

I care about cups and napkins. The first time I went, we noticed them. We talked about them. It was cool.

All that little stuff matters. Disney isn't a park full of magnificent, State of the Art coasters and zippy rides. The hotels have small rooms and except for the Deluxes, are motels. Even the Deluxe hotels are seriosuly lacking in service and no cleaner than any other chain.

If you took away all the theming and little details that make Disney what it is, it is much worse than places like Cedar Point. they'll took away the theme, AKL would need bigger rooms and better service to be as good as the Marriott.

All those details matter. They matter a lot.

googilycub

Your theory is incorrect, at least in my case. All I need my cup to do is to keep my drink of choice from spilling on me, and to be clean before I got it. I am a self aware person, I know that I am Disney World without reading it on a cup.

ddbowdoin

Yes.

I apologize you took such offense to it, it wasn't meant to be overtly accusatory but the facts are the facts and it remains that Disney is a major corporation, every major corporation operates in much the same way ... just as @ParentsOf4 outlined.

Do I have pay stubs to show you? Of course not, but this isn't some ground breaking news I'm busting out here, this is pretty standard corporate procedure. Management bonuses are tied with financial success i.e. the bottom line, the more profitable the company is the higher the bonuses ... business 101.

I could actually pull you that information via Bloomberg here in my office... it's public information

ddbowdoin

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x like/agree

they're rich for a reason.... they're skilled, opportunistic, have immense skill, and had some luck of being in the right place at the right time in their career.

but, they are there for a reason and a whole slew of poor, working class people (like the class I am in) sit here and shake the fists at the sky

Bolna

I care about cups and napkins. The first time I went, we noticed them. We talked about them. It was cool.

All that little stuff matters. Disney isn't a park full of magnificent, State of the Art coasters and zippy rides. The hotels have small rooms and except for the Deluxes, are motels. Even the Deluxe hotels are seriosuly lacking in service and no cleaner than any other chain.

If you took away all the theming and little details that make Disney what it is, it is much worse than places like Cedar Point. they'll took away the theme, AKL would need bigger rooms and better service to be as good as the Marriott.

All those details matter. They matter a lot.

Yes - and not only that. Disney is also trying to sell itself as a premium experience (at least they charge premium prices) and with that come certain expectations. If I go to a high end restaurant, I expect a linen table cloth, nice real cutlery and plates etc. not a paper place mat, plastic cutlery and paper plates. For me the decorated napkins and cups are part of that premium theme park experience I am paying for at Disney.

Even DLP can do it as the Empress Lily has demonstrated (and if I remember correctly, the other side of all the cups should show the specific "drinks sponsor" Coke for the soft drinks, Segafredo for the coffee, and Ben & Jerry for the ice cream cup)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom