First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

That's really interesting... You don't not have a life! You were just reading about something that interests you :) . I guess 2012 just isn't the same as 1984. Though I think there are bigger issues to be concerned about, and things regarding the way the parks currently are that upset me more (maybe some restoration in Splash Mountain? Lol) I understand the concern that these ever changing (seemingly lowering) standards make guests wonder what other parts of the specialized Disney experience TWDC might 'cut out' in the next 28 years.
Yes, lately Spash Mountain, Expedition Everest, and Peter Pan have been getting a lot of attention on these boards. I also enjoy the little things too. There are so many things about WDW that have the potential to be awesome. It seems like it would take just a little bit more caring from Disney management to make it so. I am hopeful WDW will be getting back on track in a few years and sometimes wish some people on these threads could have seen what it was like in the 1980s as an adult. I really think they would have enjoyed paying $35 for a 3-day hopper!

RSoxNo1

It's a mixed bag at the resort right now. Large cups have Disney Parks on them, Regular cups are mixed between Coca-Cola only and Disney Parks

Longhairbear

First the napkins, now the cups, and now the air conditioning according to some. I'll add that as DVC owners we heard that our condo assoc. annual meeting is cutting away the fluff. No more entertainment to break up all the seriousness. On that score I could care less, I'd never plan my vacation to go to an HOA condo assoc. meeting.

Goofyernmost

If I might be candid for a moment, what bothers me the most about this type of thread is the amount of unsubstantiated statements spoken as if they are true but without even a miniscule amount of fact to back it up. Flashing back for a moment to the Light bulb feature and one comment that said flat out that they don't ever replace them. They talk about something that could have happened just seconds before they saw it and yet speak as if it is just another failure on the part of Disney to provide flaw free service to it's Guests. Not to mention the fact that one would have to make a detailed record of exactly which bulb was out, when and if it was still out the next day, week, month or year. Otherwise, it is a flat out falsehood.

The problem is that for those that don't know how things are done, it truly does sound like it is going to hell in a hand-basket. There is no effort to understand how things physically work. Everyone is so wrapped up in the "Pixie Dust" illusion that it cannot be imagined that these things are mechanical and do not act in accordance with someone else's timetable.

It would help if Disney were a little more forthcoming about their motivation and system, but they aren't and I don't really blame them because nothing they could do except to have access to actual Pixie Dust, can fix it. None of us know why, for example, that the Napkins and Cups lost their, heretofore, standard Disney imprints. I'm sure there is a reason and, heck, it might even be a good one, but instead it becomes part of some "BIG" picture conspiracy and heaven forbid that a different look at it is introduced. No, it just means that Disney no longer cares.

It might be for cost cutting, but if you can cut costs on something as insignificant as a throw away napkin or cup, well, that's where is should be cut...in a totally unimportant area.

ParentsOf4

It might be for cost cutting, but if you can cut costs on something as insignificant as a throw away napkin or cup, well, that's where is should be cut...in a totally unimportant area.
You had me until the last sentence. Who gets to decide what's important? I don't care one bit about the character meet-and-greets. They are unimportant to me. Can we get rid of those? It would save a lot of money that could be used for bonuses, um, I mean used for park improvements in areas that I think are important.

I suggest you reconsider the following post:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/first-the-napkins-now-the-cups.846265/page-20#post-5112933

In 1984, WDW was a place where every detail mattered. This is simply no longer true today.

P.S. As I've posted a few times, a day at WDW now costs more than twice as much (adjusted for inflation) as it did in 1983. Disney is collecting a lot more money than they used to. For all that extra money, all I'm asking is for WDW to maintain the same level of service that In Search Of Excellence complemented them on in 1984.

Goofyernmost

You had me until the last sentence. Who gets to decide what's important? I don't care one bit about the character meet-and-greets. They are unimportant to me. Can we get rid of those? It would save a lot of money that could be used for bonuses, um, I mean used for park improvements in areas that I think are important.

I suggest you reconsider the following post:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/first-the-napkins-now-the-cups.846265/page-20#post-5112933

In 1984, WDW was a place where every detail mattered. This is simply no longer true today.

I guess one would have to also figure out what constitutes "magical" details. You would also have to figure out how many people even noticed that they ever had imprints on them. The use of napkins and cups with imprints is traditionally a marketing situation. McDonalds has imprinted cups, but it doesn't seem very magical to me nor does it determine whether or not I like their product. It neither added to or subtracted from the overall experience. So since it is their show...they get to determine what is or isn't important to the overall park experience. You put a lot of importance on it...I put almost none. Which one of our opinions is correct?

Like any business that anyone deals with, budgets are set and ways must be found to stay within them. If losing an imprint on a napkin means that they don't get rid of a dozen CM's then it is a small price to pay.

tomman710

Like any business that anyone deals with, budgets are set and ways must be found to stay within them. If losing an imprint on a napkin means that they don't get rid of a dozen CM's then it is a small price to pay.

That's a nice sentiment but in reality this has nothing to do with helping out CMs or freeing up money for other things or anything else that benefits anyone but TDO and by extension Iger ...

Their profits far exceed their operating costs ... all cuts lead directly to managements pocket.

alissafalco

That's a nice sentiment but in reality this has nothing to do with helping out CMs or freeing up money for other things or anything else that benefits anyone but TDO and by extension Iger ...

Their profits far exceed their operating costs ... all cuts lead directly to managements pocket.

Exactly! I'm so tired of all the people saying they don't care about this because the money was used to help other areas. It's total BS!!

ParentsOf4

It appears you keep misunderstanding my point. In 1983, all of the attractions worked, napkins were printed, light bulbs were replaced, the paint was kept fresh, and there were lots of CMs. Epcot opened in 1982, 11 years after MK. It's now 14 years since the last major WDW addition with absolutely nothing anywhere near as spectacular on the radar. WDW has shown all these things can be done and at half the price. As I've rhetorically asked more than once, where is all the extra money going?

M.rudolf

It appears you keep misunderstanding my point. In 1983, all of the attractions worked, napkins were printed, light bulbs were replaced, the paint was kept fresh, and there were lots of CMs. Epcot opened in 1982, 11 years after MK. It's now 14 years since the last major WDW addition with absolutely nothing anywhere near as spectacular on the radar. WDW has shown all these things can be done and at half the price. As I've rhetorically asked more than once, where is all the extra money going?
Into deep pockets Iger,Staggs and everyone else's bonus. And when it doesn't go into bonuses it goes into DVC or something nonpark related

tomman710

Don't worry about it Jeany; they're just discussing napkins and cups at WDW. :)

Yup.

That's all ... we are a bunch of napkymaniacs and cupapheliacs ... there is absolutely zero point in taking into consideration any of the coherent and logical discussions we have had about business, economics, or the shifting of priorities at WDW because it was all a thinly veiled attempt to hide our true ardor and feed our frenzied napkin and cup fetishes.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Yup.

That's all ... we are a bunch of napkymaniacs and cupapheliacs ... there is absolutely zero point in taking into consideration any of the coherent and logical discussions we have had about business, economics, or the shifting of priorities at WDW because it was all a thinly veiled attempt to hide our true ardor and feed our frenzied napkin and cup fetishes.

Was that what I said? Or I was replying to someone else who may have been confused about the tenor and scope of this thread?

psukardi

I was reading the Disney 1984 annual report (I need to get a life) and was amazed that it started with the following two quotes:

And:

TWDC management in 1984 "got it". Why doesn't TWDC management in 2012?

Because everyone started going to college for their MBAs and suddenly lost the ability to look more than 6 months into the future. It's easier to cut back on the price of cups and save a few $ to get your end of quarter bonus than it is to look at ways to show your customers that you care.

At the end of the day the share-holders and executives are the number one concern. Not you, not I, not anyone posting on this forum. WDW has one goal in mind - to make more $ for the Mouse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
]If losing an imprint on a napkin means that they don't get rid of a dozen CM's then it is a small price to pay.

Funny.. didn't you just finish posting...

If I might be candid for a moment, what bothers me the most about this type of thread is the amount of unsubstantiated statements spoken as if they are true but without even a miniscule amount of fact to back it up

Yup..

ParentsOf4

Never paid attention to what was on my cups. After finishing my drink they go into the trash anyways.
Too bad. There must be a lot of little details you're missing at the parks. I get many great thrill rides at my local Six Flags. The beauty of Walt Disney World is in the details, whether they are in the blinking eyes of Captain Jack Sparrow on POTC or on the Mickey Mouse shaped sprinkles on my cupcake. It's these details that separate WDW from my local Six Flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom