First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You know, if WDW comes out with new printed napkins and cups in mid-september...I really hope everyone who's screamed "the sky is falling, kill the big bad weatherman!" in this thread, eat a big dish of crow served up by wdw71fan.

This is ridiculous. If you want to claim a decline by degrees, fine. There's an argument to be made with respect to some animatronics falling into disrepair, or reduction of operating hours or allowing cast members to grow skanky beards....but napkins and plates? seriously? Don't some of you realize just how ridiculously idiotic the argument is?

I can see if they just slapped hamburgers on your palm and said "sorry, we're out of plates, we need to pay for Iger's $53M salary somewhere"...but you're still getting your burgers on plates. you're still getting napkins.

I really think so many of you guys are so desperate to identify new ways wdw is supposedly screwing the guest, that you see red whenever something changes (irrespective of whether it's a positive, negative or neutral change)...not whenever there's an appreciable decline in services. A change in the plates and napkins doesn't fall into that category, no matter how much you lie and say your kids collect the plates and napkins and take them home.

sheese!

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

And calling someone a liar when you obviously have never met their children is grounds for banishment.:mad: :mad:

flynnibus

Premium Member
You know, if WDW comes out with new printed napkins and cups in mid-september...I really hope everyone who's screamed "the sky is falling, kill the big bad weatherman!" in this thread, eat a big dish of crow served up by wdw71fan.

This is ridiculous. If you want to claim a decline by degrees, fine. There's an argument to be made with respect to some animatronics falling into disrepair, or reduction of operating hours or allowing cast members to grow skanky beards....but napkins and plates? seriously? Don't some of you realize just how ridiculously idiotic the argument is?

Where does it stop when you decide 'this isn't a big deal, its only temporary' and you let things go?

A company focused on customer experience and show would be competitent enough to
- ensure levels did not run out by monitoring inventory properly
- if unexpected things occurred, encrue the additional expense to make the problem go away... not just say 'bah, its no biggie, we'll just coast through this till the problem fixes itself'

This isn't a one or two week gap we're talking here.. this is well over a month now. This is a decline the company apparently has made a choice in saying 'no one will notice..' vs ensuring some continuity.

Is it really any different than say the Wand long outliving it's purpose? Again, something the company just decided that the bad isn't sooo bad that we refuse to spend any money to fix it. We'll just sit around until the problem fixes itself... where the next sponsor or next event comes along.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yet again I notice the corporate guardians use emotive language, like entitlement. Its ok we get it, Disney could take a tactical download in your bed and youd say they were just using it to heat the sheets up.

As for the cost of print, unless Disneys suppliers are the only ones on the planet, costs have reduced massively as the industry becomes more responsive to short run quick turn round.

Its about desire at at WDW there isnt any beyond increasing the bottom line.

minninedaisy74

While I enjoy all the little details as much as the next guest I have hard time understanding why so many are up in arms over this. I agree that in some areas Disney is on the decline and after our last trip in 2011 we have decided to wait until summer 2014 to go again in hopes that things may be fixed or somewhat better. I have been reading all these post regarding the cups and napkins and it seems some people are really upset so my question for you is this going to be your straw are you done with Disney if this a permanent change?

ParentsOf4

While I enjoy all the little details as much as the next guest I have hard time understanding why so many are up in arms over this. I agree that in some areas Disney is on the decline and after our last trip in 2011 we have decided to wait until summer 2014 to go again in hopes that things may be fixed or somewhat better. I have been reading all these post regarding the cups and napkins and it seems some people are really upset so my question for you is this going to be your straw are you done with Disney if this a permanent change?
As several have posted, it's the "death by 1000 cuts" syndrome. The cumulative effect of many small, barely noticeable cuts adds up to something more substantial.

Let's use attractions as an example. For the sake of discussion, let's assume TDO decides to defer maintenance on Space Mountain because it saves a few thousand dollars each year. They do this because their annual bonuses are directly tied to WDW profit margins, and every dollar they save means their bonuses will be larger. As a result, Space Mountain breaks down more often and is closed on the day you're there. The closing of one attraction might disappointment you slightly but is not enough for you to change your mind about vacationing again at WDW. Now let's say that in addition to SM, TOT, RnRC, EE, SE, Soarin, and BTMRR are all closed due to deferred maintenance. The cumulative effect of all these closures might be enough for you to decide to vacation elsewhere next time.

The point is TDO seems to be making a lot of short-term decisions (e.g. deferring maintenance) lately in order to meet the current year's revenue and profit objectives without taking into consideration the long-term impact of those decisions. The cumulative effect is that WDW annual attendance is slightly declining while attendance at Universal is skyrocketing. As a result, rather than making annual revenue & profit objectives through increased attendance, WDW is forced to raise ticket & food prices much faster than the rate of inflation, causing even more people every year to book vacations elsewhere.

P.S. I still am optimistic that the cups will be back.

PirateFrank

I still find it absolutely, idiotically ridiculous that someone, anyone can draw a correlation between an attraction going into disrepair and a change in the print on cups/napkins....which might very well be temporary.

If the "kill the weatherman" folk really want to make a statement, I would recommend that they focus on the battles that are relevant and significant. this cup/plate business is stupid.... If people are going to argue over this stuff, they shouldn't expect to be taken seriously when they say "fix the yeti" or "bring back 3-hours EMH"...I certainly wouldn't take such complaints seriously, if I were executive management.

...and trying to justify the position by saying it's another example of screwing the guest or it's death by 1000 cuts is asinine. This is like walking into a court room where a murder case is being heard. The prosecutor lays out the murder weapon, a solid motive, a handful of eyewitnesses...and the last piece of evidence is that the person was wearing black at the time of the murder. Maybe he was wearing black to hide in the shadows.....or maybe he just friggin likes to wear black. It's weak and prosecutor looks like an idiot trying to make such a claim.

This might be cost cuts or it might be disney changing it's supplier and being provided a stop-gap until a redesign is completed. But arguing 14 pages deep that it's definitely cost cuts, no doubt about it and it's death by 1000 cuts and kill the weatherman and boycott wdw until they bring back the plates so my kids can take them home for their used paper plate collection........

....is just nuts. plain old nuts.

Please....if this is truly death by 1000 cuts, please....stop going to WDW.

tomman710

I still find it absolutely, idiotically ridiculous that someone, anyone can draw a correlation between an attraction going into disrepair and a change in the print on cups/napkins....which might very well be temporary.

If the "kill the weatherman" folk really want to make a statement, I would recommend that they focus on the battles that are relevant and significant. this cup/plate business is stupid.... If people are going to argue over this stuff, they shouldn't expect to be taken seriously when they say "fix the yeti" or "bring back 3-hours EMH"...I certainly wouldn't take such complaints seriously, if I were executive management.

...and trying to justify the position by saying it's another example of screwing the guest or it's death by 1000 cuts is asinine. This is like walking into a court room where a murder case is being heard. The prosecutor lays out the murder weapon, a solid motive, a handful of eyewitnesses...and the last piece of evidence is that the person was wearing black at the time of the murder. Maybe he was wearing black to hide in the shadows.....or maybe he just friggin likes to wear black. It's weak and prosecutor looks like an idiot trying to make such a claim.

This might be cost cuts or it might be disney changing it's supplier and being provided a stop-gap until a redesign is completed. But arguing 14 pages deep that it's definitely cost cuts, no doubt about it and it's death by 1000 cuts and kill the weatherman and boycott wdw until they bring back the plates so my kids can take them home for their used paper plate collection........

I apologize if my position was not made clear enough. I think because I have been in executive positions for a while I take for granted how some every day business decisions and practice may not be basic ideaology for most people.

In the Fortune 500 company I worked for previously the CFO was given a GP margin goal, if she exceed those goals she got a percentage of the overage. So what did she do? She took sodas away from the kitchen (not a big deal but one of those little perks that made the company nice), she cancelled the company retreat (ok ... I don't like that all that much but it was a day off work), she stopped catering meetings (ok who needs free food, no big deal), she changed the bonus structure and cancelled holiday bonuses (ok ... now it's adding up) ... so yes those are little things but added up at the end of the year her percentage of the overage was $107,000.00 after taxes ... the little things add up.

So I apologize ... let me try and be clear ...

It's not about the napkins (at least for me it is not) ... I don't care if they use brown, blue, yellow, white, or no napkins. I don't care if they charge me for napkins. Sure in a perfect world the detail art on napkins adds to the whole experience but is that vital? Hardly. Would I miss it? No.

The problem we have with Iggy (granted its indirect because he doesn't make napkin decisions) and TDO is that they are making these cost cutting decisions like napkins, plates, EMH, LoW, and all the other things with the sole purpose to better their GP margin which directly impacts their bonus. Yes, that's within their right, and yes, that's how they can choose to do business.

Yes, napkins or cups or plates or whatever savings they get from that alone cannot subsidize new attractions or impact maintainence to the point where we can get the refurbs we need. However, as a whole the savings from those little items add up, then add them to things like EMH, Splash cuts, LoW, a Yeti turned off for years, etc ... all THOSE savings SHOULD be used to better the park.

I work for a large corporation so I understand how these things work, so don't misunderstand me as some fanboy thinking I should get new E-Tickets every year ...

This is all I want ... take those savings and invest them in the park ... how about new paint for Peter Pan? Could napkins pay for that? How about extra man hours for Splash? Could LoW pay for that?

So it's not about the napkins or cups or whatever it's that those cost saving devices are not used where they should be used ... which speaks to a bigger problem that TDO and indirectly Iggy cares less about the quality of the park and more about their bonuses.

But that's their right to do ... but's its our right to say hey, we don't like it.

unkadug

I got a better idea...You stop posting in this thread if it bothers you so much.

Brewmaster

Such a dismissive post, really characteristic of the bully mentality that is " just stop going if you don't like it". Really just an astoundingly poor way to state your position. Hating on a forum member for appreciating the little thematic and artistic details that are (or once were) found at WDW is one thing, but calling out and ridiculing someone's kids for enjoying collecting trinkets from the parks is absurd and flatly antagonistic.

dopeylover

I understand the point of the quality decreasing by degrees and all of that, I really do, and I agree with a lot of it...But seriously...It's a CUP! AND we're not even sure if it's permanent! If you're that dissatisfied w/ WDW that you're upset about a cup you will throw out in 15 mins., then I agree, it's time for you to find a new place to vacation.

And I don't mean this as a personal attack when I say 'you'. I am referring to the general population. :)

unkadug

I understand the point of the quality decreasing by degrees and all of that, I really do, and I agree with a lot of it...But seriously...It's a CUP! AND we're not even sure if it's permanent! If you're that dissatisfied w/ WDW that you're upset about a cup you will throw out in 15 mins., then I agree, it's time for you to find a new place to vacation.

And I don't mean this as a personal attack when I say 'you'. I am referring to the general population. :)
You really do not understand. Your reading comprehension must have taken a hit at the same time as Pirate Frank's

dopeylover

You really do not understand. Your reading comprehension must have taken a hit at the same time as Pirate Frank's

I understand completely, thank you. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are yours. There is no need to insult my intelligence or comprehension. All I am trying to say, as I have already stated, is that if you are that unhappy with WDW and the direction they are going in at the moment, perhaps you would feel better taking your money elsewhere. This is a forum about a theme park, there is really no reason to be rude.

tomman710

I don't mean for this question to come off argumentative but ...

Philosophically are you ok with cost cutting tactics that are not invested back into the parks?

Alektronic

But it isn't just cups and napkins, they are doing that with a lot of items just maintaining a low inventory of items that can quickly run out.

In the Maintenance dept, they do the same thing, just keep a minimum inventory or sometimes nothing at all and just order it when you need it. Sometimes simple things like light bulbs they wait until they run out completely before ordering again and if they are a special type, it might be months before you receive them, and if they are expensive, the manager may just sit on the order awaiting to the next fiscal quarter to approve them and then order them, and that happens all over property

unkadug

I understand completely, thank you. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are yours. There is no need to insult my intelligence or comprehension. All I am trying to say, as I have already stated, is that if you are that unhappy with WDW and the direction they are going in at the moment, perhaps you would feel better taking your money elsewhere. This is a forum about a theme park, there is really no reason to be rude.
Obviously you do NOT understand if you continue the line of "If you don't like it then don't go"

How dismissive is that towards those that DO care?

I find your dismissing of us as RUDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom