First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TowerOfTerror

So what's the justification for price increases. And don't say "because people will pay it." If that were true, WDW wouldn't be hemmoraging guests to Universal that's keeping there attendance flat. And let's be real. Iger isn't making that money for the company. Decisions he makes allow others in the company to make it, while he gets the credit. If I run a bus company, make a million dollars my first year, decide to cut maintanance, staff, and increase fares to make a $1.5 million profit the second year, that doesn't mean I'm doing an excellent job.

So you have contradicting statements there, isn't the job of the CEO to make executive decisions and let everyone execute the plan?

As for the bus company it depends on who's eyes you are looking through, the customer or the investor/owner. Let's face it, you can bash Einer, ridicule Iger, jest at the next CEO, the only people that should be mocked are the institutions that hold majority of the shares of the company that hold the company to stringent quarterly numbers. Privately owned Disney would be sustainable where there would be butter shaped as mickey still.

WDWJenn09

I was at Sunshine Seasons last night, and these cups were being used for everything apart from the kids sizes. Not sure if it is a temporary supply issue, or if these Coca-Cola ads are now the new standard issue. I did not see them anywhere else at Epcot.

View attachment 28124

I am new to the board and this is my first post. I felt I needed to comment on this. I am not sure why it matters what color or logo there is on your cup or napkin. Sure, I get the fact that people want the "overall" experiece of Disney but really does it matter. I would rather their efforts be focused on other things like fixing outdated rides or spending time on enforcing the power of customer service to their CMs . It's a nice perk to have themed paper goods but doesn't it really detract from one's experience at Disney. For me it does not. I have been there twice in the last two years and I really didn't even notice if the cups were themed (or maybe not in some cases) and that the napkins are plain white. What I did notice was my the reaction of my family after a ride or experiencing the Wishes Nightime Spectacular. Those are the memories I came away with and you know what, I will be back again next year despite the coke cups and the white napkins. Maybe someone had a bad day and forgot to order the Sunshine Seasons cups and they ran out or maybe they are having a logo change and it's a transition. It's ok to be human and use a coke cup now and again. Let's focus on the stuff that matters. Maybe I am missing the point, I don't know, but for me themed paper goods isn't a show stopper.

tomman710

I am new to the board and this is my first post. I felt I needed to comment on this. I am not sure why it matters what color or logo there is on your cup or napkin. Sure, I get the fact that people want the "overall" experiece of Disney but really does it matter. I would rather their efforts be focused on other things like fixing outdated rides or spending time on enforcing the power of customer service to their CMs . It's a nice perk to have themed paper goods but doesn't it really detract from one's experience at Disney. For me it does not. I have been there twice in the last two years and I really didn't even notice if the cups were themed (or maybe not in some cases) and that the napkins are plain white. What I did notice was my the reaction of my family after a ride or experiencing the Wishes Nightime Spectacular. Those are the memories I came away with and you know what, I will be back again next year despite the coke cups and the white napkins. Maybe someone had a bad day and forgot to order the Sunshine Seasons cups and they ran out or maybe they are having a logo change and it's a transition. It's ok to be human and use a coke cup now and again. Let's focus on the stuff that matters. Maybe I am missing the point, I don't know, but for me themed paper goods isn't a show stopper.

The point I think alot of people are trying to make is, its not about the napkins or cups ... but cumulatively with everything else these are just more in a long line of cut backs in which the money saved is not being used to add attractions or experiences, like you mentioned, which of course is the major draw.

luv

If they wanted to charge an extra penny for cute napkins and cups, I'd pay it. "Lunch is $19.34 without cuteness or $19.35 with cuteness," the cashier could say.

"I'll take cuteness for a penny, Alex."

jensenrick

So what's the justification for price increases. And don't say "because people will pay it." If that were true, WDW wouldn't be hemmoraging guests to Universal that's keeping there attendance flat. And let's be real. Iger isn't making that money for the company. Decisions he makes allow others in the company to make it, while he gets the credit. If I run a bus company, make a million dollars my first year, decide to cut maintanance, staff, and increase fares to make a $1.5 million profit the second year, that doesn't mean I'm doing an excellent job.

Quoted for TRUTH!! Especially that last line! I wish I could like this post x100000

WDWJenn09

The point I think alot of people are trying to make is, its not about the napkins or cups ... but cumulatively with everything else these are just more in a long line of cut backs in which the money saved is not being used to add attractions or experiences, like you mentioned, which of course is the major draw.

I get ya!

wdw71fan

temporary.. 'stop gap' ... The existing branded cups are being replaced, but they didn't want to do another order and have left overs from the older campaign.. New ones should be in place sometime mid September..

it's important to note that these cups are only being used when the existing supply is exhausted.

DisneyRunner

I haven't read this entire thread, so I'm jumping in in the middle of it. I noticed the napkins at the end of July at POR. I thought maybe they were out of the fancy ones. A few days later, I found some of the decorated ones. My next thought was, maybe they found an old package somewhere. No fancy napkins or cups gets me thinking, how Disney has cut out the park opening shows. I would guess it was a budget cutting move, too. My point is, these budget cuts affect the magic that is Disney.

alissafalco

temporary.. 'stop gap' ... The existing branded cups are being replaced, but they didn't want to do another order and have left overs from the older campaign.. New ones should be in place sometime mid September..

it's important to note that these cups are only being used when the existing supply is exhausted.

Disney knows exactly how many cups they use per day throughout the year. All of that info is tracked, so even if what you're saying is true, thats a very sorry excuse. I also find it hard to believe that they can't order the cups in smaller amounts to fit their needs.
I will be there Sept.15th so we shall see.

RSoxNo1

OK, so the cups will return with a new campaign. Will the napkins also return with a new campaign?

Goofyernmost

It's perfectly fine that you don't care about the napkins or cups. I don't care about the meet-and-greets. I have no desire to stand in a line just to get a photo with a grown adult dressed like a cartoon character. But I would never suggest that I'm fine with getting rid of them even though, to me, they are a waste of Disney money and I don't like them. Unfortunately, there have been too many posts earlier on this thread (and the napkin thread) that have said, in effect, "Since I personally don't care about it then it's OK to get rid of it and all of you are stupid for liking it." (draybook, please don't think I'm suggesting you're one of them.)

The point I'm trying to make is that each of us has something special, something different that we like about WDW. And when WDW takes it away without replacing it with something comparable, the entire WDW experience is diminished.

I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree that this indicates an overall loss of something significant. Close down WoL without a replacement, shut down the original Imagination and replace it with something laughable, but not funny, have empty buildings and former attractions collecting cobwebs in DHS, those are the indicators of cost cutting and as such, should be disapproved of very vocally.

Napkins and Cups are disposable, one time use objects. The amount of money spent on them is, when compared with other expenses, almost unnoticeable. And it is unnoticed by just about everyone except those of us on the verge of treatable obsession with all things Disney. It is a disposable object, designed to hold a liquid or wipe waste food away from our faces, hands or objects. They may be collected by a few, but they are not collectables. I doubt if they would get much attention on e-bay. Either way, I doubt if printing on them or not pays any of Igor's bonuses. However, the use of inks on otherwise biodegradable items might be cause for concern. I don't know if it is or not, but I can see where it might be. Most inks are petroleum based.

Anyway, I think that is the crux of the disagreement. The magnitude of the problem in relation to the other, more important ones, just seems a little less then important to many.

JWG

Halloween cups until mid-November and then holiday until January? And then something about memories thereafter?

Rasvar

Disney knows exactly how many cups they use per day throughout the year. All of that info is tracked, so even if what you're saying is true, thats a very sorry excuse. I also find it hard to believe that they can't order the cups in smaller amounts to fit their needs.
I will be there Sept.15th so we shall see.
They know averages. Some days will be more and others less. They aren't omnipotent. Besides, for all we know they had everything set and ordered and the supplier of the cups failed to deliver on time for some reason. This is not like 20 years ago where a company would keep a full two weeks supply or more in storage. You keep your costs down by ordering enough for a couple of days at a time. Warehousing is expensive. However, it does put you at risk if there is a supply chain issue. I'm sure Hurricane Isaac has probably caused a few supply chain issues that will appear over the next week or so for many companies, not necessarily Disney. But in today's logistics driven system, disruptions do happen. Remember when everyone thought Disney had run out of Coca-Cola products in bottles some time ago only to find out it was a concern with the product that came from the bottler? These things do happen. The system is not perfect.

John

I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree that this indicates an overall loss of something significant. Close down WoL without a replacement, shut down the original Imagination and replace it with something laughable, but not funny, have empty buildings and former attractions collecting cobwebs in DHS, those are the indicators of cost cutting and as such, should be disapproved of very vocally.

Napkins and Cups are disposable, one time use objects. The amount of money spent on them is, when compared with other expenses, almost unnoticeable. And it is unnoticed by just about everyone except those of us on the verge of treatable obsession with all things Disney. It is a disposable object, designed to hold a liquid or wipe waste food away from our faces, hands or objects. They may be collected by a few, but they are not collectables. I doubt if they would get much attention on e-bay. Either way, I doubt if printing on them or not pays any of Igor's bonuses. However, the use of inks on otherwise biodegradable items might be cause for concern. I don't know if it is or not, but I can see where it might be. Most inks are petroleum based.

Anyway, I think that is the crux of the disagreement. The magnitude of the problem in relation to the other, more important ones, just seems a little less then important to many.

OK, I will try this one more time another way. Those who find the cup and napkin issue objectional would agree with you that these issues are small compared to others. What we are saying is that we are not putting any of the issues on some type of priority scale....ie broken AA's etc. What we are saying is that it is a cumulative effect. Take for instance.....towel animals that are left on the beds. TDO said no more towel animals, the eye stickers they put on some cost money....the time it takes for a cm to make them could be better spent doing mousekeeping.Will the removal of the animals ruin my trip? Honestly it wouldnt bother me one bit. But how many post have been written over the years about how it is one of those small details that make the vacation special? They really dont serve any purpose what so ever. Just a small albeit important detail.

I hardly think anyone here has a unhealthy obsession (cept jt of course) over Disney...you are visiting a WDW discussion board, what else did you think you would find here? Some have posted that there will be new cups and napkins soon. To this I am sure we will all be pleased and releaved. Now can we all go back to the regularly scheduled program.....its football season folks......Go Ravens!!!!!!!

rudyjr13

It is a silly little thing but it would be sad if the special napkins don't come back. We grab a bunch every trip to bring home to use after we get back as a nice reminder.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It is a silly little thing but it would be sad if the special napkins don't come back. We grab a bunch every trip to bring home to use after we get back as a nice reminder.

Think this might be a reason they run out, or even stop printing them? If every guest did this they would be spending no telling how much each year, passing the cost on to those who cause them to do it.....

Goofyernmost

OK, I will try this one more time another way. Those who find the cup and napkin issue objectional would agree with you that these issues are small compared to others. What we are saying is that we are not putting any of the issues on some type of priority scale....ie broken AA's etc. What we are saying is that it is a cumulative effect. Take for instance.....towel animals that are left on the beds. TDO said no more towel animals, the eye stickers they put on some cost money....the time it takes for a cm to make them could be better spent doing mousekeeping.Will the removal of the animals ruin my trip? Honestly it wouldnt bother me one bit. But how many post have been written over the years about how it is one of those small details that make the vacation special? They really dont serve any purpose what so ever. Just a small albeit important detail.

I hardly think anyone here has a unhealthy obsession (cept jt of course) over Disney...you are visiting a WDW discussion board, what else did you think you would find here? Some have posted that there will be new cups and napkins soon. To this I am sure we will all be pleased and releaved. Now can we all go back to the regularly scheduled program.....its football season folks......Go Ravens!!!!!!!

You see, I see different reasons for the discontinuing of some of those things. Take towel animals, for example. I have heard that this was discontinued because it no longer was a magically given thing. It became something that everyone expected and loudly complained about when they didn't get them. We are not talking here about pettily little eye stickers, we are talking about many many accumulated man hours that instead of being magic that they could randomly do for folks, it became...where's mine...where's mine...where's mine. My kid didn't get one and now our vacation is ruined. What are you going to do about it Disney. I'll tell you what they did...they stopped it completely. Now all is equal. No one get any.

I don't have any problem with you doing that, but I'll bet Disney has one. You are just one group. Multiply that by 10's of thousands that visit the parks everyday and see what that might cost them. In our little focused world of our familys, what's a small handful of napkins. Add thousands of family's and it becomes a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom