First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alissafalco

Maybe the cup problem was out of their control. What would look worse using a shipment of cups that were printed incorrectly or generic Coke cups. If this is for just a transition period or new standard only time will tell.

Oh stop blaming the supplier of the cups, it's Disney being cheap! enough already.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This is a fun thread. Just about everybody seems to start off assuming this was some strategic decision to keep inventories low or to avoid placing another order under the old cups or whatever. Absent hearing more, it just looks to me like something got messed up. Somebody forgot to place the order, or the shipment go impounded, or there was a flood a the warehouse, or somebody changed over the production line to the new design too early and the dyes were no longer good, or any of a zillion other things. That doesn't mean that we ahold let Disney off the hook with "oh, these things happen". But it's a far cry from jumping to the conclusion that the lack of fancy cups is a strategic or tactical decision.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Isn't their volume of customers lower? 30% increase is a good way to justify immersive environments. Not just a show in warehouse buildings.
Looking over TEA numbers :

Walt Disney Attractions showed a .7% growth overall while Universal Studios Recreational Group showed a 13.7% growth.
MK went from 16.9 mil to 17.1 for a 1.0% change while
IOA went from 5.9 to 7.6 for a 29% change.

captainkidd

No park (I don't believe) will ever surpass the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland as the top 2 in the US. However, the fact that IOA is now just behind 2 of WDW's parks is very telling. And with Universal continuing to go full steam ahead on more Potter, Transformers, and whatever else they've got up their sleeves, the gap is going to continue to close.

Uncle Lupe

Spoken like someone who has never been to Universal Orlando.

Have not been there for along time. One trip after 1991, again when IOA was just in dirt moving stage. So when I went buildings with shows inside was a big part of what I remember. Jaws was the most heavily themed area. Kongfontation indoor line did give you the feel of another place. The city streets were around it were nice. BTTF was just a big show building. E.T. show building with nice indoor line. The other smaller attractions were themed with the use of the stage building.

To me it just seems that the use of the "stage" building was a cheap but smart way of creating a marginally themed park. Just put the show building in plain sight and call it a working studio.

http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/7721/index/

Would Universal got that kid of bounce with just the Harry Potter ride and not an entire themed area and Hogwarts?

alissafalco

Have not been there for along time. One trip after 1991, again when IOA was just in dirt moving stage. So when I went buildings with shows inside was a big part of what I remember. Jaws was the most heavily themed area. Kongfontation indoor line did give you the feel of another place. The city streets were around it were nice. BTTF was just a big show building. E.T. show building with nice indoor line. The other smaller attractions were themed with the use of the stage building.

To me it just seems that the use of the "stage" building was a cheap but smart way of creating a marginally themed park. Just put the show building in plain sight and call it a working studio.

http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/7721/index/

Would Universal got that kid of bounce with just the Harry Potter ride and not an entire themed area and Hogwarts?

LOL 1991 is a very looooooooong time.

The Empress Lilly

That doesn't describe Universal Studios 2012 anymore.

It is however an apt description of DHS' Pixar Place and the entire Paris Studios.

ParentsOf4

No park (I don't believe) will ever surpass the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland as the top 2 in the US. However, the fact that IOA is now just behind 2 of WDW's parks is very telling. And with Universal continuing to go full steam ahead on more Potter, Transformers, and whatever else they've got up their sleeves, the gap is going to continue to close.
I agree Universal is closing the gap but believe Disney management has learned a couple of lessons from Universal and WDW is about to turn a corner. One is good, one is bad. The first lesson is that consumers need big, splashy new attractions to draw them in. That's good because it means WDW should be getting some new major attractions in the coming years. The second lesson is that many guests don't notice or appreciate the details. Thus, I suspect WDW will continue to evaluate each aspect of the parks using some sort of cost-benefit analysis and, slowly over time, the details that make Disney theme parks unique will slowly disappear. Over time, WDW will become more like Universal and less like DL.

ParentsOf4

Attendance was actually up (1% in WDW), although down slightly in resort occupancy. And the decline in occupancy actually had a bit less to do with people not going than the fact that they actually expanded resorts.
WWOHP opened in June 2010. Many consider this to be the pivotal event altering theme park attendance trends in Orlando.

According to Themed Entertainment Association (TEA), total attendance at WDW's 4 theme parks was 47.513M in 2009, 47.449 in 2011, down 0.1%. Total attendance at Universal's 2 theme parks was 10.157M in 2009, 13.718M in 2011, up 35.1%.

dopeylover

This is a fun thread. Just about everybody seems to start off assuming this was some strategic decision to keep inventories low or to avoid placing another order under the old cups or whatever. Absent hearing more, it just looks to me like something got messed up. Somebody forgot to place the order, or the shipment go impounded, or there was a flood a the warehouse, or somebody changed over the production line to the new design too early and the dyes were no longer good, or any of a zillion other things. That doesn't mean that we ahold let Disney off the hook with "oh, these things happen". But it's a far cry from jumping to the conclusion that the lack of fancy cups is a strategic or tactical decision.

Agreed! The amount we as posters over analyze ever single minute change is at times madness. If the higher ups really did analyze things as much as we do, I don't think there would anything to talk about. :) Although some insisted I did not get the significance of said cup discussion, sometimes a cup is just a cup. Anyway, the cup has been reinstated to its previous glory, so we can all breath a sigh of relief.

alissafalco

Agreed! The amount we as posters over analyze ever single minute change is at times madness. If the higher ups really did analyze things as much as we do, I don't think there would anything to talk about. :) Although some insisted I did not get the significance of said cup discussion, sometimes a cup is just a cup. Anyway, the cup has been reinstated to its previous glory, so we can all breath a sigh of relief.

It's not madness, it's called caring about a product that we pay for and expect. Also, the cups have not been reinstated, I guess you missed the OP's statement that the coke cups were all over MK yesterday.

The Coke cups were all over Magic Kingdom yesterday.

alissafalco

I believe you missed my previous post(s) where I agreed with what you are saying several times. In terms of it being reinstated : https://twitter.com/WDWFanBoys/status/241975578998235138

I wasn't talking about your previous posts, I was talking about the post you just wrote that I quoted. Also, I saw that post that Fanboy posted, and after that another OP stated the coke cups were all over MK. Just because Sunshine seasons probably found an extra box laying around doesn't negate the rest of the Coke cups all over MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom