Fast Pass Removal?

WDW1974

So what I got out of that was the 1. CM's are trained badly and 2. an invalid (late) FP is considered valid.

Late is late. That's the problem. I understand there are things like dining reservations and such, but if your FP time is during a dining reservation, don't get a FP for that time. You know what time the FP is good for when you get it. That is made very clear. That time needs to be enforced within reason, such as an hour or two. Our longest lines are an hour or two so there's no reason for someone to be nine hours late. Yes, they are late, their ticket is no longer valid. If they are training you any way differently, they are defeating the purpose of the window.

The window is designed so that the SB line doesn't get backed up too badly. If you let people show up late, that defeats the purpose. That is the problem. That is what needs changed.

I generally stay out of FP threads, but letting folks get in late totally screws up the system.

If you have a FP for RnRC from 11:35-12:35, you shouldn't be allowed to use one at 7 p.m. (but I did).

It's just a bad thing all around ... BTW, while DL and DLP will let you get in at any time with an expired FP (and if you're late, it's expired) TDL will not. They enforce it strictly and I think they have it right.

But Disney in the USA is afraid to do anything that remotely upsets guests ... at least when it's convenient.

BuzzComplexCM

So what I got out of that was the 1. CM's are trained badly and 2. an invalid (late) FP is considered valid.

Yes, we are all badly trained. Disney has no idea what they are doing when it comes to training their CM's or running a theme park system. I guess the past 50 plus years were all a disaster.

In response to the FP being late, if you want to make the argument that people should not get a FP when the window is in their reservation time, fine. Then you need to also apply this to dining. When someone has a 6:45 reservation, they should not be allowed to still use their reservation if they arrive late. I know it's not nine hours, so let's get that out of the way right now, but there are times when people show up 45 minsutes late for dining. Should they be denied as well?

As far as accepting late VALID fast passes (you see, an invalid FP is from a different day or when it's printed on the ticket, "This is not a valid FastPass), I will always give the guests the benefit of the doubt. They may have been ill at some point during the day, went back to their resort to rest and came back when they felt better. There may have been issues with children, the elderly, or the disabled.

Most times when people complain about the FP system it is because they do not fully understand it. The person was unaware that they could still use their FP even though the window had passed. That person, rather than ask a CM, then threw out their FP and got angry when they realized it could have still been used.

luckyeye13

Lets say for rough math as well (not saying I'm agreeing with yours just putting it into another concept). Since capacity does stay the same.

Mission Space seats 160 people at a time if all 4 bays are running (which depending on crowds/protein/people forgetting items in the capsules is sometimes less). But if everything is running optimally you have 4 bays running about every 7 minutes (my rough guess on the time frame). So for sake of easy math lets say you have 160 people every 10 minutes or 1600 an hour.

Let's say out of every 40 people (or full bay) 4 are standby. This helps with the rough 10% rule I mentioned earlier.

So for each run of the ride you have 144 Fastpass users and 16 standby users. I have seen busy times where the lines are defiantly long enough all around to support this and yes people complained about slow lines.

Now I know this isn't perfect for capicty and such but it's close on a rough scale. Would you get in a line knowing you were only going to move 16 people every 10 minutes? Or 160 people an hour?

Or would you prefer the line that moves 160 people every 10 minutes and 1600 an hour?

I agree that this isn't the same for every ride and fastpass works for those who know how to use it, but quite honestly lines would be much faster and bearable in more than a few cases without fastpass. Especially those (Buzz) that constantly move.

This post was in reply to Jakeman's math post more than Foolish1s (who's was posted while I was typing this).

Umm... there are only 60 minutes in an hour. :shrug:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Yes, we are all badly trained. Disney has no idea what they are doing when it comes to training their CM's or running a theme park system. I guess the past 50 plus years were all a disaster.

In response to the FP being late, if you want to make the argument that people should not get a FP when the window is in their reservation time, fine. Then you need to also apply this to dining. When someone has a 6:45 reservation, they should not be allowed to still use their reservation if they arrive late. I know it's not nine hours, so let's get that out of the way right now, but there are times when people show up 45 minsutes late for dining. Should they be denied as well?

As far as accepting late VALID fast passes (you see, an invalid FP is from a different day or when it's printed on the ticket, "This is not a valid FastPass), I will always give the guests the benefit of the doubt. They may have been ill at some point during the day, went back to their resort to rest and came back when they felt better. There may have been issues with children, the elderly, or the disabled.

Most times when people complain about the FP system it is because they do not fully understand it. The person was unaware that they could still use their FP even though the window had passed. That person, rather than ask a CM, then threw out their FP and got angry when they realized it could have still been used.
I dunno'... I think that the service of individual cast members has gone down overall over the past 50 years. Yes, they are still mostly amazing people who simply love their jobs, but I think Disney needs to pull some weeds out of the garden, if you will. And regarding FPs and reservations, I think it's all a matter of personal judgement on the CMs part, depending on how late they are. If the line for GMR was longer than expected, and you're 10 minutes late at ToT, fine. If your FP is for 12 and it's now 9... not so much.
It's a theme park. Schedules are going to run late sometimes. However, making EXTREME accomidations for late people is just going to ruin everyone else's schedules, which starts a big ol' cycle...

SirGoofy

I dunno'... I think that the service of individual cast members has gone down overall over the past 50 years. Yes, they are still mostly amazing people who simply love their jobs, but I think Disney needs to pull some weeds out of the garden, if you will. And regarding FPs and reservations, I think it's all a matter of personal judgement on the CMs part, depending on how late they are. If the line for GMR was longer than expected, and you're 10 minutes late at ToT, fine. If your FP is for 12 and it's now 9... not so much.
It's a theme park. Schedules are going to run late sometimes. However, making EXTREME accomidations for late people is just going to ruin everyone else's schedules, which starts a big ol' cycle...

Unfortunately, we are trained the other way. We MUST honor late fastpasses, no matter what the time.

BuzzComplexCM

In fact, it is not even the CM's that should be blamed or put on trial here. if the Guests are having issues with the FP system they need to take it up with the GSM's or the park execs.

The CM's are simply doing what we are trained to do.

WDW1974

Unfortunately, we are trained the other way. We MUST honor late fastpasses, no matter what the time.

I know that. The problem is the front-line CMs ... its management (as usual).

The FP system breaks down when people think an 11 a.m. FP return is good for 12 hours ...

And it isn't the same as a restaurant ressie, even at Disney as another poster suggested.

If you have a 7:15 dinner for four at Coral Reef and show up at 8:15, they'll still take you ... but they won't put you before all the people who showed up on time.

And if you have a ressie for breakfast at Chef Mickey's and are a no show, they won't let you exchange it for dinner at 6:15.

FP can be a great guest service, but not when it is run in a way contrary to its purpose.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
On the flip side though, think about the fact that as long as you get a Fast Pass for a ride, you can use at any time on the same day!

BuzzComplexCM

So, I'm going to DAK around 2 next monday.... will EE fastpasses be gone? *EMH to 10

Hit or miss. Depends how many tour groups are in the park, how busy, etc. If the crowds are not too bad, I wouldn't worry about it. You might get a late fast pass, but at least you get one.

RSoxNo1

So, I'm going to DAK around 2 next monday.... will EE fastpasses be gone? *EMH to 10

With EE, the single rider line moves very quickly. If you don't mind being separated, I suggest this if no fastpasses are available.

Also, any chance we can add "fastpass" and "fastpasses" to the WDWMagic dictionary?

Susan Savia

Maybe their there for those times when it IS very crowded. I've seen Living with the Land lines snake all around the floor and other times a walk on....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom