Fantasyland Philosophy

jt04

Not really because the OP left off several attractions that youg kids could go on. Wow you just love to snort the pixie dust have you ever been critical of Disney JT?

See, the truth is I am all the time. Energy needs a complete overhaul, Space needs to expand into WoL, World of Motion needs to be brought back (I armchair imagineered that one :lol:) JII needs to be brought back to be something special, Soarin' needs a pavilion specific film, the Seas needs an E ticket and a barrier to hide the exit doors, SSE's descent needs something.

AK needs a new land where CMM is and the Studios needs a couple more attractions.

The MK however is right on track!

Figment632

See, the truth is I am all the time. Energy needs a complete overhaul, Space needs to expand into WoL, World of Motion needs to be brought back (I armchair imagineered that one :lol:) JII needs to be brought back to be something special, Soarin' needs a pavilion specific film, the Seas needs an E ticket and a barrier to hide the exit doors, SSE's descent needs something.

AK needs a new land where CMM is and the Studios needs a couple more attractions.

The MK however is right on track![/QUOTE]

I agree and think the new additions will be great I was just hoping for that little something extra but like you said yesterday I believe there will be mor surprises.

RobParr77

If I may improve on that a bit: the inspiration for Disneyland was Walt's wish to have a place where he and his daughters could have fun together. Instead of the children having fun, and the parents sitting on a bench watching them have it.

The new FL is precisely contrary to this philosophy: the children can entertain themselves with colouring cards, the parents sit on a bench watching them having fun. :shrug:

I must whole heartedly disagree. I beleive this is where the lack of family values in America is evident. The fact that you automaticaly assume you will stand aside and not help and or partacke in your childs wish to make a birthday card or listen to Belle read a story is horrible. The reason Walt Disney wanted a place for parents and children to have fun together was

1.) The amusement park was dirty.
2.) The rides that children were aloud on adults could not go on and vice versa.

Disney Imagineering has always made sure that both parents and children can partake in the same ride or attraction there by spending time together and having fun. When you and other adults stop thinking of yourselves and what makes you happy, you will finaly understand the whole concept of these interactive meet and greets. Being 30 myself and a huge Disney fan I will atleast try each of these experiences once just to see how it is before I say anything bad about the experience.

Wilt Dasney

I think it is down the same track. We will have the best castle park in the world soon. There will be no doubt.

There's cool stuff on the horizon, no doubt, but MK has a loooong way to go to match (much less beat) that little gem of a park in Anaheim.

hpyhnt 1000

Ahem :wave:

I recognized what Disney was doing when I first saw the blueprint. Of course the OP said it better.

Thanks OP!

And everytime someone critisizes the new plan I think I'll copy and paste it as a response.

Upon further review, I must acknowledge that, yes, you were out there initally saying something similar to this, which is that this plan was great and that it was more than just princesses. :wave:

jt04

There's cool stuff on the horizon, no doubt, but MK has a loooong way to go to match (much less beat) that little gem of a park in Anaheim.

I don't know. I went to DL and the only thing I remember is Matterhorn and Innerspace.

The MK is so close to really surpassing DL. The new FL, a coherent T-Land (Scificity?) a couple thrill style rides that will make AL a real "adventure" and it is there.

imo

Skyway

Original Poster
the OP left off several attractions that youg kids could go on.

Actually, I don't think I did. (I don't expect people without children to understand)

Keep in mind, with toddlers, there's a difference between COULD go on, and WANT to go on.

Sure, anything without a height requirement is available. But that doesn't mean a toddler would or should do it.

Someone previously mentioned SGE. Sitting by yourself with a harness strapped around your chest, loud noises, and darkness is terrifying for most toddlers.

Someone also mentioned Tiki Room. The goddess part, with loud noises, screams, and darkness is also pretty intense.

MILF isn't bad. But anyone with toddlers knows that you have to time a sit-down show like that just perfectly. If the child is cranky, or squirmy, or doesn't have interest in it, the experience will be unpleasant for the child, for the parent, and for the countless people sitting nearby!

I may have left the Treehouse off the list. And the Toontown houses (which is basically the same concept as much of the new Fantasyland, just a different theme and degree of detail).

And the thing some are failing to see is the minimal number of attractions a toddler WANTS to see. Give a toddler a Disney park map and they'll point to photos of Dumbo, Pooh, and the Princesses. Chances are, they're not going to be begging to see a runaway mine train or Abraham Lincoln.

Hmmm. I've mentally run through the park back and forth. Other than what's in my original post, there really are only a small handful of attractions of interest to toddlers.

Why should we adults have all the fun?

MKCP 1985

First off, thanks to the original poster for this thread. Lots of good stuff in that original post.

But as for the notion that the Magic Kingdom neglects children under six years of age . . . :eek: . . . you lost me there.

I've raised children and they spent many days in the Magic Kingdom between the ages of 1 and 6 and had a great time. The Magic Kingdom is by far the WDW park which provides the MOST to children aged 6 and under.

There are attractions that "wow" children of that age in every area of the park. Please don't tell me that the Fantasyland changes are needed because there wasn't enough in the Magic Kingdom for the ankle biters to enjoy! :lol:

That said, the New Fantasyland will enhance the guest experience for people of all ages and I am grateful for the announcement. I feel certain the Little Mermaid attraction will appeal to all ages, and the Food and Beverage offerings at Be Our Guest and Gaston's Tavern will be welcome additions and the rest of New Fantasyland will be great for youngsters.

Animaniac93-98

Well, there has been great demand for Song of the South to be released on DVD, so maybe? I dunno.

Would that demand have not existed without Splash Mountain's existence, the merch sold tied to the characters and those respected animated personalities walking around the park on a regular basis for millions to see all the time? Remember that SotS's last theatrical US re-issue was in 1986, 3 years before SM opened at Disneyland and 6 at WDW. I doubt anyone then after seeing it put out by Disney so recently with little to no cntrosversy would asume Disney would bury the film (in it's entirety) forever from NA viewers.

As for the refurb I'll state again for all the tiwts who don't bother to read all my posts I have not objection to what is beign done with this expansion. This great plan, like Carsland at DCA, shows that additons can be done that both provide excellent experiences for guests while pushing the franchise/merch/appeal to the 0-12 range that current Disney believes so much in. Both can be done indeed and I'm glad that Disney has finalled realized this.

What issues I might have with what is not done (and how do you honestly read "add a ride" as "add a thrill ride"? How dense can you get?) can infact be adressed at a later point such as a hypothetical second phase. I personally don't want 3 E tickets or some other exreme request as the space and funds do so do not exist for such things. All I'm saying is that one more C/D ticket ride is all that is needed for this expansion to be as perfect as possible. What that ride could be ranges from any number of possibilites from the "we need more boy oriented" school of thought involving some Hercules attraction or even the long overdue Mary Poppins ride, I'm sure Disney could think up something good.

I look forward to seeing this all when done as I already have pointed out before.

SirGoofy

What issues I might have with what is not done (and how do you honestly read "add a ride" as "add a thrill ride"? How dense can you get?) can infact be adressed at a later point such as a hypothetical second phase. I personally don't want 3 E tickets or some other exreme request as the space and funds do so do not exist for such things. All I'm saying is that one more C/D ticket ride is all that is needed for this expansion to be as perfect as possible. What that ride could be ranges from any number of possibilites from the "we need more boy oriented" school of thought involving some Hercules attraction or even the long overdue Mary Poppins ride, I'm sure Disney could think up something good.

This is what has frustrated me a bit with the past few days discussion. When I say I want another ride, people assume I want an E-ticket or a coaster the size of EE. Which is false.

Figment632

This is what has frustrated me a bit with the past few days discussion. When I say I want another ride, people assume I want an E-ticket or a coaster the size of EE. Which is false.

I got what you meant. This expasion has a lot of great points to it but it is missing a good C or D ticket.

Skyway

Original Poster
But as for the notion that the Magic Kingdom neglects children under six years of age . . . :eek: . . . you lost me there.

The Magic Kingdom is by far the WDW park which provides the MOST to children aged 6 and under.

Please don't tell me that the Fantasyland changes are needed because there wasn't enough in the Magic Kingdom for the ankle biters to enjoy! .

I don't think MK "neglects" toddlers by any means. And you're right, MK does provide the MOST out of any of the other Disney theme parks.

But back to Lasseter's comment: The littlest visitors wait in the longest lines for the shortest rides.

It's certainly not the rule. But the majority of the "kiddie" rides--- namely spinners and dark rides--- are low-capacity, slow-loading, and short-duration. And they're mostly concentrated in Fantasyland.

There are plenty of those attractions for kids. Heck, I was raised on them! Yet even though there are enough for "the ankle biters to enjoy", there needed to be more options for them, and it appears this New Fantasyland will fit the bill.

(So many people keep saying "there needs to be another dark ride". Unless it was an Omnimover like TLM, it would be slow-loading and low-capacity, defeating the "mission" of the new FL.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom