Fantasyland Philosophy

SirGoofy

I think Hercules would be just great--love that film.
You have to wonder, how the numbers played out for that one,
though, because they have really let it just sit. There must
be a reason, where they figure there's not enough demand/love
for the film and character.

Which is a philosophy I loathe.

Was there a demand for the Song of the South characters before Splash Mountain opened?

I doubt it. And I doubt we would even have a Splash Mountain, or Big Thunder Mountain, or Space Mountain, if the culture of the theme parks was the same back when these rides were built.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I may be in the minority here, but when I think of my past WDW trips, its not even the attractions that come to mind the most. I think about how I feel the moment I walk into my resort room for the first time after all that flying and check-in. Or that first walk around the resort, or getting off the bus at Magic Kingdom for the first time of my trip. I love all the attractions, but that isn't what immediately comes to mind when I think about what makes it my "special place". Its just that joy of walking around the beautiful parks with the people that I love in my life, creating memories and just enjoying the surroundings. Im a 30 yr old male and while I don't have any connection to the princess movies of the 90's, Disney always does everything so far above and beyond expectations that even grown men can find something to like. I'll walk around the new FL and enjoy all the water features they add, the architecture of the villages and Beast castle. Those are attractions in themselves to me. An attraction is something that attracts you and doesn't always need to be an actual moving ride system.

I don't think you're in the minority....I think you're in the silent majority. It's the "whole" WDW experience that makes it like no other.

GothMickey

[/B]

It rubs me the wron way as well but if they put that coaster in I wont care. All I want is one thing to cater to me the rest of the land would be fine with me then,.

Disney doesn't have to cater to you. They cater to the 16 million guests who visit the MK. You think they care about one fanboy? Nope.

GothMickey

Was there a demand for the Song of the South characters before Splash Mountain opened?

I doubt it. And I doubt we would even have a Splash Mountain, or Big Thunder Mountain, or Space Mountain, if the culture of the theme parks was the same back when these rides were built.

Well, there has been great demand for Song of the South to be released on DVD, so maybe? I dunno.

Atomicmickey

Well, I don't know if I loathe it, but I don't understand it.

You are correct--Disney is a master at creating demand--that's what they do best!
That's what they did for the rides you point out, what they're going to do for Muppets,
for Marvel, etc. (hopefully!) Beyond their creative, they are a huge marketing company--
that can choose to pump a brand or dump it, with their immense resources.

The thing is, "someone", "somewhere", has chosen not to pump Hercules,
and I suspect we'll never know why, we can only just speculate.

You are especiallly right about Splash Mountain. How that wonderful experience ever got through the
approval process, well, it's just improbable,
that's all--and millions are thankful that it did!

GothMickey

I don't think you're in the minority....I think you're in the silent majority. It's the "whole" WDW experience that makes it like no other.

The vocal majority is the problem. They hate everything that don't cater to them. And they are running rampant on this site. The silent majority just sits back and enjoys Disney.

I just wish the haters would stop going to Disney already.

Atomicmickey

I may be in the minority here, but when I think of my past WDW trips, its not even the attractions that come to mind the most. I think about how I feel the moment I walk into my resort room for the first time after all that flying and check-in. Or that first walk around the resort, or getting off the bus at Magic Kingdom for the first time of my trip. I love all the attractions, but that isn't what immediately comes to mind when I think about what makes it my "special place". Its just that joy of walking around the beautiful parks with the people that I love in my life, creating memories and just enjoying the surroundings. Im a 30 yr old male and while I don't have any connection to the princess movies of the 90's, Disney always does everything so far above and beyond expectations that even grown men can find something to like. I'll walk around the new FL and enjoy all the water features they add, the architecture of the villages and Beast castle. Those are attractions in themselves to me. An attraction is something that attracts you and doesn't always need to be an actual moving ride system.

This also expresses how I feel about the parks quite well. Thanks for this!

GothMickey

A great demand by us, not a large majority of the public. I doubt most people knew what Song of the South was in '92.

That's why I said I don't know. I would venture to say that if the movie was ever released on DVD, and I am holding out slim hope it will be one day, the sales would be through the roof. And that would not just be us buying the DVDs.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
If the finished product ends up like the concept art (and it usually does), this new area will be just what the MK needs. Over the years many of the MK's mature growth trees have been removed for various reasons leaving some areas of the MK feeling like a Walmart parking lot. I envision this expansion as a place for shade trees (that will allowed to grow) and park benches (something that there seems to be less of). Even if one of the underlying reasons for the expansion was to enhance the Disney experience for the younger set, I think this is going to end up being one of the more beautiful areas of the MK. I can see myself parked on a bench, eating popcorn, under the shade of a tree, people watching. How relaxing could that be. The only area that currently even resembles that is the courtyard behind Liberty Square, and sadly the second-hand smoke for the smokers area prohibits enjoying this quiet nook. Bring on Fantasy Forest...can't wait.

mickey's mamu

I just want to say thank you to the OP. What a great post! I was thrilled to hear what Lassiter had to say and I couldn't agree more with him and with your eloquent explanation of what I believe the majority of people around here really feel. Or at least SHOULD feel.

Come on, fanboys, stop being so selfish. Remember, you were little once, and I'm sure you would have loved the new FL, had it been available then. I know my now 35 year old son would have. I'm just excited to hopefully be able to take his children in a few years!

Figment632

Disney doesn't have to cater to you. They cater to the 16 million guests who visit the MK. You think they care about one fanboy? Nope.

Im not saying they have to for the whole land all I wanted was one attraction. It is a ridiculos argument to say that they shouldnt build on attraction like this in FL. For Example The Matterhorn in DL!

MousDad

I just wish the haters would stop going to Disney already.

Well, Con already says he's not setting foot in a Disney Park until 2011, so apparently he already has.

And then there's jt, who is the great Messianic Anti-Hater, who also is currently boycotting the parks. (His words, not mine)

So, for the purposes of this message board, whether one is silent or obnoxious, positive or hater, attendance at the parks must be completely irrelevant.

It all makes perfect sense.

Figment632

I just want to say thank you to the OP. What a great post! I was thrilled to hear what Lassiter had to say and I couldn't agree more with him and with your eloquent explanation of what I believe the majority of people around here really feel. Or at least SHOULD feel.

Come on, fanboys, stop being so selfish. Remember, you were little once, and I'm sure you would have loved the new FL, had it been available then. I know my now 35 year old son would have. I'm just excited to hopefully be able to take his children in a few years!

If I was a girl.

SirGoofy

Well, Con already says he's not setting foot in a Disney Park until 2011, so apparently he already has.

And then there's jt, who is the great Messianic Anti-Hater, who also is currently boycotting the parks. (His words, not mine)

So, for the purposes of this message board, whether one is silent or obnoxious, positive or hater, attendance at the parks must be completely irrelevant.

:lol:

RSoxNo1

Well, there has been great demand for Song of the South to be released on DVD, so maybe? I dunno.

A great demand by us, not a large majority of the public. I doubt most people knew what Song of the South was in '92.

Sir Goofy is absolutely right - If Disney were to re-release Song of the South, it would almost make sense for it to be a D23 exclusive as it would be that group of people that would be most interested in it.

cblodg

I think Hercules would be just great--love that film.
You have to wonder, how the numbers played out for that one,
though, because they have really let it just sit. There must
be a reason, where they figure there's not enough demand/love
for the film and character.

But there's a high demand for Stitch? :shrug::lookaroun I know he's not in Fantasyland, but Disney made a HUGE push with Stitch and quite frankly I'm sick of him being everywhere (figurtivly speaking).

I'd love to see a Hercules themed ride! I think you're right, someing had to have happened that he pretty much disappeared from the face of the Disney franchise.

jt04

Im not saying they have to for the whole land all I wanted was one attraction. It is a ridiculos argument to say that they shouldnt build on attraction like this in FL. For Example The Matterhorn in DL!

Yes it is ridiculos :lookaroun

All of the attractions that have always been there will still be there. WDW has 4 parks and the luxury of creating areas that cater to specific guests. I suggest you read the OP again, if in fact you even bothered to read it a first time. It destroys your case.

Or proves you are just being selfish.

Figment632

Yes it is ridiculos :lookaroun

All of the attractions that have always been there will still be there. WDW has 4 parks and the luxury of creating areas that cater to specific guests. I suggest you read the OP again, if in fact you even bothered to read it a first time. It destroys your case.

Or proves you are just being selfish.

Not really because the OP left off several attractions that youg kids could go on. Wow you just love to snort the pixie dust have you ever been critical of Disney JT?

jt04

Once they open that preview center, I'm there. Perhaps you missed that part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom