Fantasmic gets cut to just 2 shows per week

imamouse

I've been away and haven't had time to read the entire thread, so my apology in advance if this has already been discuss.

A very small related issue is dining. With so many folks purchasing the DDP, there really isn't any need for the Fantasmic dinner pkg.

What I do find odd about this change is the 2 nights selected - Mon & Thurs. Why no weekend night?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im no accountant, but wouldnt closing the park (any park) an hour early, one night a week, be a more cost effective, less negative way of saving money, assuming of course that this is a financially driven move?

Senderella

Im no accountant, but wouldnt closing the park (any park) an hour early, one night a week, be a more cost effective, less negative way of saving money, assuming of course that this is a financially driven move?

You'd think so right? January's hours are already so clipped as it is though.

I've never seen Fantasmic at anything less than a full stadium. I could see all of these events happening 5 years ago when AI was a huge buzz. 2nd or 3rd season (I don't know how long it's been running now). IMO, now, it's not that big of a "must see". Just about everyone I know watches the horrible auditions and that's the end of it (if they even watch the auditions).

My biggest beef with all of the announcements in the last month is the prices are still going up while they're offering less. PI- gone. LTT Character meal - gone. Fantasmic - cut down to 2 nights a week in Jan (at least). 3 huge announcements like that within a month don't bode well for next year. What else is going to be announced in the next few months? I don't buy the "guests requesting" line for a minute either. :fork:

elisatonks

Actually, if this did come to pass I think they would build a floating stage with all the AI staging. Then they would just moor it to the side where the seats are. Then they could just float it back stage for Fantasmic shows.

I doubt this as its is already packed backstage at F!, the steamboat also blocks the moat around the back when it is not onstage, so they wouldn't be able to get a floating screen in and out.

Someone also mentioned Disney annouce all rehabs - they never have for Fantasmic! its just gets scheduled as dark! This usually happens for a week in late January, and this year i know they drained the moat, and re-did the track as the steamboat had run off it a couple of times. There is alot of rehab that could be done in the actual theatre itself, look at the floor, there are loads of large cracks, plus the benches could really do with backs be added to stop them climbing over them as this is the most usual cause of injuries at Fantasmic!, however this could be done with a minimum schedule of performances in a week. Also F! as a whole could do with some TLC especially as it hasn't really had anything more than maintinace rehab since it opened in Oct 1998. Also a lot of of rehab has already happened in the last 12 months, they have just moved and refitted the F&B kiosks, added a new pyro rig to the boat (this was to replace the catherine wheels but took a while to reappear) and added numbers to the personal stroller parking bays, to name a few and i doubt they would have spent this money if they knew they were going to cut it back in the long run.

Economy wise this is also a wise time to make improvements in the parks as January is very low season, plus the economy is affecting the industry as a whole, one of the first things to go usually are holidays/ vacations and while bookings may be strong for the summer, people who go at offpeak times of year tend to plan and book alot later, and alot of people i know have had to cancel there holiday and lose their deposits as they can not afford to go anymore. The UK economy is also now feeling the pinch (i definetly am!) and flights costs may be around the same but the fuel surcarges on top are rising all the time. I am looking to fly out in November, i looked to months ago and the cost has doubled when i looked today and its all in the taxes and fuel supplements, and i can't book yet as i need to have my visa in my passport before i have the confidence to book. Also cutting fantasmic down will help save money in the short run and make sure the company continues to make a profit whioch frankly is the only thing the shareholders care about.

The loss of F! 5 nights a week is a worry to myself personally, i know a lot of people who work there and are worried about losing their jobs, especially if it goes on for months, however i think it is a positive sign that this is just short term, by the fact they have only reduced it rather than scrapped it all together or is this just me wanting to remain positive?)

jessyhalifax

Why would they cut one of or not the most popular nighttime shows on wdw property. They have loads of people coming from all the parks just to see it at night.

sbkline

As I said yesterday, I think other ways of bringing in more money would be to cut the price of the rooms so that those who aren't going due to financial difficulties, could more easily justify a trip, if they are going to be paying significantly less for their nightly rooms. It's the whole "supply and demand" thing. When demand is high, you raise prices. But when demand drops for one reason or another (such as high gas prices), you cut prices in order to entice people to come, and therefore you make more money. I would like to be able to give Disney the benefit of the doubt by assumming that they are aware of this basic principle of economics and, therefore, if they are taking steps against a bleak economic outlook, that this would be one of the first things they would think of, rather than thinking of ways to alienate people and potentially drive them away rather than bring them in (although, as I have explained, I doubt that this move with Fantasmic will drive too many people away). Apparently, the company is aware of this principle and utilize it successfully in the form of their free dining promotion, wherein they offer free food to thousands of guests, knowing that this move will bring more people in, who will consequently spend more money, thereby making up for the free food costs and then some.

So again, since WDW is familiar with the success of the free dining strategy in bringing in MORE Profits by cutting the costs to the consumer, I would like to assume that they would be intelligent enough to use this approach in other areas in order to combat slumping attendance. Which leads back to my suspicion that this move with Fantasmic has little or nothing to do with any bleak economic outlooks.

Or, of course, maybe the Disney execs just don't deserve the benefit of the doubt that I'm giving them. :shrug:

markjohns1

If this is a cost cutting move, it actually makes quite a bit of sense why Fantasmic would see fewer showings when up against Illuminations and Wishes. There is a major difference between Illuminations/Wishes and Fantasmic.

Because Fantasmic is in a theater, it has a fixed number of guests who can enjoy the show (does anyone know the actual capacity?). It is also an experience that requires guests to queue up to see, often times hours in advance (granted, the reduction in showings won't help this). Essentially, these guests are out of commission from the perspective of purchasing food, drink, and merchandise. It does not really help to keep these guests in a park later, as it is not really helping to boost revenue. I am guessing that they make more money off the guests who are not waiting to see Fantasmic than those who are.

On the flip side, Illuminations/Wishes have a capacity that is essentially equal to that of the park attendance. Also, because there are countless locations where these shows can be viewed from, it does not require guests to queue. Sure some stake out a spot early and are equivalent to being in a line, but most guests are mobile and free to spend money on food and merchandise. In this case, it does benefit WDW and the bottom line to keep guests in the park later, which also may be why they want to shift the nighttime crowd seeking an end-day show to Epcot or MK.

And while some point out that the PI, LTT, and now Fantasmic changes are a sign of doom, I am actually very glad that they made the decision about PI that they did. While LTT and Fantasmic appear to be cost cutting moves, PI changes are definitely a move to create and improve revenue streams from an otherwise stagnant position. If the PI changes prove to be successful (and the current popularity of the rest of DTD indicates it should be), that will help to prevent future cutbacks, and maybe even bring back Fantasmic to being a nightly event.

MaxsDad

Essentially, these guests are out of commission from the perspective of purchasing food, drink, and merchandise. It does not really help to keep these guests in a park later, as it is not really helping to boost revenue.

Not trying to be argumentative, but people inside Fantasmic do purchase food, drink, and merchandise. They sell all those things in there. I would imagine the profit margins on the toys on the carts are quite high. Volume is decent too, as I see kids with light up toys all the way home.

I just saw this news just now, and haven't read the whole thread. I am feeling lazy. Has it been confirmed to be temporary, seasonal, or permanent?

sbkline

Not trying to be argumentative, but people inside Fantasmic do purchase food, drink, and merchandise. They sell all those things in there. I would imagine the profit margins on the toys on the carts are quite high. Volume is decent too, as I see kids with light up toys all the way home.

I just saw this news just now, and haven't read the whole thread. I am feeling lazy. Has it been confirmed to be temporary, seasonal, or permanent?

The news has been confirmed to be true, but I don't think there's any official word yet on if this is going to be permanent or temporary.

sbkline

Just to add a few words to what I already said a couple posts back, I work at Walmart and have been there 11 years. At Walmart, as well as all other retail businesses, we put things on sale or on clearance. Generally, the difference between the two is that if it's on sale (rollback, in Walmart terms), it's an active item that we will continue to carry, but they're trying to move that product. Eventually, the price goes back up, but in the meantime, they're trying to entice more people to buy the item, or at least to get in the store to look at it, and then end up buying other things. If it's on clearance, it's a deleted item, such as something seasonal, and they want to get it out of the store and make way for the next season of merchandise. This is why you see so much stuff on clearance after Christmas, for example. But back on topic, my point is, that when we have a product that isn't selling as much as we'd like, in order to move that product, we mark the price down. That's a common business tactic when you have a product that isn't selling as much as you'd like.

Being the marketing geniuses that the Disney execs are known for being, I would think that they, of all people, would be the first to realize that if they want to move their product (in this case, rooms at their resorts, and the accompanying tickets), the answer isn't to start reducing the quality of the product, but by putting it on "rollback", if I may borrow Walmart terminology. Knock 30 or 40 bucks or more a night off the price and more people will be booking rooms. Simple as that.

Again, I may be making a mistake to actually assume that these people are intelligent. But they didn't get where they are by making idiotic decisions, so I'm guessing that they know the basic principles of economics and how to move their product. So again, I'm gonna assume that there are other reasons than economics as to why they are making this move.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just another thought, trim EMH, after all there never used to be both morning and night.

As I said, this cut is just so superficial I just cant figure it as a major cost reducer.:shrug:

sbkline

Just another thought, trim EMH, after all there never used to be both morning and night.

As I said, this cut is just so superficial I just cant figure it as a major cost reducer.:shrug:

Good point. I actually thought of that myself, as well. If they are really so desperate to cut costs because of dire forecasts for attendance, then the first/best place to start would be EMH. After all, if attendance is supposedly gonna be so catastrophically low that they have to make all these cuts, then there won't really be any need for EMH, I wouldn't think.

shiekra38

2 shows per week seriously? Why cant they just cut the inferno barge from IllumiNations instead?
Great now they're going to do that :ROFLOL:. Now I remember hearing their was an explosion at a fireworks factory in China. Hope this dosen't affect all the fireworks displays but who knows. Maybe Fantasmic should just cut the pyro? Or is that not the problem...

wickedfan07

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this cutback in performances. Someone mentioed that Fantasmic! is getting up there in age like RoE is. Really, Fantasmic is older by around a year. Maybe it is time for it so see some changes. Perhaps they will be using those nights off to test new pyro effects, install iomprovements to the theater and even design and rehearse new scene to replace Pocahontas or other sections of the show. DL's version just saw some significant upgrades. Maybe those are coming our way, too. January is the perfect time to do it, with already lower attendance and a new attraction with a supposedly significant nighttime draw (that being American Idol).

We've seen smaller refurbishments occur shortly before major refurbishments before. Maybe this downtime is related to something new. We've been hearing rumors of two new night shows for WDW in the coming years, with RoE being one of them. Fantasmic! is older than RoE and more in need of a refresher than Wishes is at this point. Maybe we will slowly be seeing new things come into the show, as others in the thread have suggested before. We can only hope.

In any case, I really hope this isn't a short-sightted cos-cutting measure. I also really hope this isn't some stupid plan to try to get more people into American Idol. If the company ever feels that they need to close major attractions to get (force?) Guests into something that is brand new and should be designed to hold its own from day one, that new attraction should have never been greenlit. If this is the reason behind Fantasmic's upcoming darkening (as some have suggested), I'd expect to see American Idol to go down the tubes very quickly (as any other show should if it is terrible). What a rediculous, short-sighted and downright stupid plan, if it is the reason behind this.

Did Knee

Hi Folks,

I read this whole thread, and I see that the dominant theory regarding why Fantasmic is being cut back is economics, specifically related to falling attendance. I read the figures in an earlier post about how much attendance has risen in the parks the last few years. I know that Disney does eventually post their monthly park attendance. Is there any documented evidence of falling numbers at this point? Does anyone know what the bookings outlook is for the next few months? I'm going in September for my annual visit (just in time to say goodbye to my beloved AC, greatest bar I have ever been in). Should I expect lower crowds then the last couple of years? Anyone have any evidence, either real figures or anecdotal, to back the assertion that attendance is significantly dropping?

dreamscometrue

Hi Folks,

I read this whole thread, and I see that the dominant theory regarding why Fantasmic is being cut back is economics, specifically related to falling attendance. I read the figures in an earlier post about how much attendance has risen in the parks the last few years. I know that Disney does eventually post their monthly park attendance. Is there any documented evidence of falling numbers at this point? Does anyone know what the bookings outlook is for the next few months? I'm going in September for my annual visit (just in time to say goodbye to my beloved AC, greatest bar I have ever been in). Should I expect lower crowds then the last couple of years? Anyone have any evidence, either real figures or anecdotal, to back the assertion that attendance is significantly dropping?

If you are referring to the statement below, I got the numbers from the attached website. The reported numbers are released annually and are considered accurate. I simply looked at the change over the last 5 years.

Individually, each park has increased as follows: MK:21.9%; MGM/DHS:21.9%; Epcot:27.1%; DAK:30.0%. I state these figures to show that even a 5% decrease next year would put attendance at about 2006 levels, the second highest attendance numbers in WDW history.
http://www.connectingindustry.com/downloads/pwteaerasupp.pdf

Although I love Fantasmic!, I guess that there are a couple of reasons why I'm not concerned at this time. The first is that I'll believe the 2 shows per week thing when it's officially announced and the second is that, even if this does actually happen, it absolutely would not be in anticipation of reduced attendance. Fantasmic! ran nightly when DHS had annual attendance 50% lower than it is now. Even if attendance was projected to stay flat or decrease slightly, I doubt very, very much that this is how officials would react.

coasterphil

Although I love Fantasmic!, I guess that there are a couple of reasons why I'm not concerned at this time. The first is that I'll believe the 2 shows per week thing when it's officially announced and the second is that, even if this does actually happen, it absolutely would not be in anticipation of reduced attendance. Fantasmic! ran nightly when DHS had annual attendance 50% lower than it is now. Even if attendance was projected to stay flat or decrease slightly, I doubt very, very much that this is how officials would react.

The official announcement has already been posted by JP in this thread. That is a direct release from Disney, so no reason to believe that this is just a rumor.

dreamscometrue

The official announcement has already been posted by JP in this thread. That is a direct release from Disney, so no reason to believe that this is just a rumor.

I read that, but since I didn't see any person's name or title in the article, I was unsure how official it was.

Well, I guess it's simple then. By taking away Fantasmic!, they are hoping people will choose The American Idol Experience as their night time entertainment.

celticdog

I wouldn't read too much into it. This is no different than Spectro being cut back to select nights in the off season. No one seems to get upset when that parade doesn't occur every night. I do enjoy Fantasmic, however, it's been running pretty much the same for almost ten years if not more. It's time for an update. I speculate that the reduction has to do with staffing more than anything else. Fanstasmic is a cast intensive event. The off season seems to struggle with enough cast members for all positions in all parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom