Fantasmic gets cut to just 2 shows per week

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just reading this thread, and some of you are really looking at this and totally missing the reality of what is going on. Which is that Disney are very concerned about guest count predictions for 2009.

Disney are clearly cutting costs. Lets look at what has happened recently.

- Fantasmic! cut to twice per week
- Pocahontas show closes
- All of the Disney operated PI being shut and replaced with external vendors
- No announcement on the Contemporary Resort expansion, because they are unsure of what to do with it now
- Speculation of removal of Family Fun Day and Woody's Cowboy Camp
- Some characters removed from dining
- Some characters removed from meet and greet
- Attractions not being maintained (specifically things like Everest - the show there is now almost non-existent)
- Things like sauce selection being reduced in counter service restaurants
- Removing premium cuts of meat (Fillet Steak) from the sit down restaurants

Nothing here is catastrophic yet. But some of you are clearly in denial that this is cost cutting. Regardless of the positive spin will put on things (bold new vision etc), there are real concerns that guest counts are dropping, and that Disney need to be in a position to handle that.

Not only is the attendance predicted to be lower, but its lower right now. You only need to visit the parks now to see that attendance is not what it was. In several recent trips over the last few weeks, the parks have not been as busy as usual for this time.

A true comedy gem of a post.

How is removing fillet steaks from the menu cost cutting? Or is it free steak with every IASW ride? Any time Ive been Ive had to pay if I wanted steak.

And by the way, the tone of your post makes you sound like the male hen.

ptaylor

Premium Member
How is removing fillet steaks from the menu cost cutting? Or is it free steak with every IASW ride? Any time Ive been Ive had to pay if I wanted steak.

Fillet steaks were removed from a lot of the restaurants and replaced with New York Strips for the same price.

That equates to:

Great steak, replaced with average steak, but for the same price.

Scar

Fillet steaks were removed from a lot of the restaurants and replaced with New York Strips for the same price.

That equates to:

Great steak, replaced with average steak, but for the same price.

Sounds just like what my grocery store is doing to me.

EVERYTHING is going up in price right now, unfortunately. Disney is in the business of making money and can either raise prices for the same cut or keep prices the same and have a lower cut. It's a no win situation.

All of the discussion around Fantasmic makes me wonder:

Hasn't everyone on this board cut back personally in some way? Whether it's one less car trip a week, not spending as much out to eat, buying a smaller car, etc., haven't we all done what we are accusing Disney of doing?

What if the choice was between shutting DHS for a day a week or cutting back Fantasmic? What if the choice was between opening at noon vs cutting back on Fantasmic?

IMHO, Disney is not making these decisions to tick us off. They are making them because they have to at this time.

TarzanRocked99-

I spoke with a Entertainment Casting Manager who lives in my neighborhood this past weekend and she said that this change was budgeted for the entire year. With the exception of Spring Break, Presidents Day Week and Summer you shoud get used to Fantasmic performing less. She also said Magic Kingdoms Entertainment budget is being slashed and some of the minor shows would be removed and that the importing of DL's POD which is definitely happening, has been pushed back to late 2010. Make no mistakes these are budget cuts plain and simple.

On a side note, she said that at the Studios and maybe also at DAK, attraction hours will become staggard as well similar to at Epcot. Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

MousDad

I spoke with a Entertainment Casting Manager who lives in my neighborhood this past weekend and she said that this change was budgeted for the entire year. With the exception of Spring Break, Presidents Day Week and Summer you shoud get used to Fantasmic performing less. She also said Magic Kingdoms Entertainment budget is being slashed and some of the minor shows would be removed and that the importing of DL's POD which is definitely happening, has been pushed back to late 2010. Make no mistakes these are budget cuts plain and simple.

On a side note, she said that at the Studios and maybe also at DAK, attraction hours will become staggard as well similar to at Epcot. Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

Boy, the news keeps getting better and better.

Eyorefan

Sounds just like what my grocery store is doing to me.

EVERYTHING is going up in price right now, unfortunately. Disney is in the business of making money and can either raise prices for the same cut or keep prices the same and have a lower cut. It's a no win situation.

All of the discussion around Fantasmic makes me wonder:

Hasn't everyone on this board cut back personally in some way? Whether it's one less car trip a week, not spending as much out to eat, buying a smaller car, etc., haven't we all done what we are accusing Disney of doing?

What if the choice was between shutting DHS for a day a week or cutting back Fantasmic? What if the choice was between opening at noon vs cutting back on Fantasmic?

IMHO, Disney is not making these decisions to tick us off. They are making them because they have to at this time.

Disney is a business. You have to spend money to make money. When people ask why I go every year (sometimes more) I tell them its because there is so much to do you can't do it all! Well, if they keep cutting back, soon, that statement won't be true. By replacing and adding things Disney gives people a reason to come back. If they start just closing things, and not offering an alternative that is on par with what was removed, then soon, people lose their reason to return. Why spend all that money when you are getting so much less?

devoy1701

Interesting thread, seems that pessism is alive and kicking. Sure it's sad that it will be offered only a couple evenings of the week, but let's experience a little reality here. Even as beloved as Disney is, they do have to make sure they can pay the bills. Why do people assume it's some evil plot to increase profits or some Pixar vision to take over the World? :shrug:

I'm sure there were many reasons the decision was made. I know rising fuel costs is the scapegoat for a lot of things, but here it may be true, since most pyrotechnics are produced in China and are shipped via freighter boats. In addition, there was also a shortage of fireworks this year because of a large fire at one of the fireworks warehouses there. In addition if I felt I needed to reduce costs somewhere, I would evaluate the attendance levels at the three parks showing fireworks and it seems to me that perhaps that Studios would be the least attended, making it the obvious choice. I mean let's look at it - how would you rank the three shows? Would Fantasmic be your favorite over Wishes or Illuminations?

Heading to the World during the off-season has disadvantages as well as advantages. Yes you have the advantage of smaller crowds, but it's a flip side thing. Smaller crowds means there is not a need to staff at maximum level either, so you have reduced hours and reduced entertainment. Thought Disney has been marketing savvy here with the "parties" to address that issue.

And remember, Disney is a publically held company - reporting to shareholders and a board of directors that are concerned about the return of their investment. As much magic that they want to produce, that fact is foremost in their minds.

Of course, that's my two cents worth, so don't flame me too badly. :D

Disney manufactors their own fireworks...so I don't think this is the case here.

And I really don't think this is a sign for bad times at Disney at all. I think they're using the economy as a cover up for something bigger. With all of the other news/rumors coming out about 3 new attractions for Fantasyland and the Monster's Inc inverted coaster for DHS, this doesn't sound much like bad times to me...what this sounds like is a phase out...or atleast Disney trying to bring the spotlight off of Fantasmic. Face it. The show is old... I wouldn't doubt if we have 4 completely new night-time spectaculars for 2011. So instead of seeing this as "darn, only 2 nights of Fantasmic now..." I'm seeing "well having only 2 nights of fantasmic means that DHS will have 5 nights open that will eventually be filled with something!"

and to whoever said "i wonder if they'll be turning DHS into a 9-5 park" hush! Stop agreeing with all the negativity on these boards and form your own opinion. WDW didn't just rebrand MGM and add a newly named land to the park to turn it into a park with shorter operating hours. Maybe since they're only showing Fantasmic twice a week they're going to consider keeping DHS closed for part of the week too!!! :hammer:

Scar

Hi devoy, are you certain Disney manufactures their own fireworks? I was under the assumption, but could definitely be mistaken, they purchase from outside vendors and have long term contracts in place.

dreamscometrue

Disney is a business. You have to spend money to make money. When people ask why I go every year (sometimes more) I tell them its because there is so much to do you can't do it all! Well, if they keep cutting back, soon, that statement won't be true. By replacing and adding things Disney gives people a reason tNo come back. If they start just closing things, and not offering an alternative that is on par with what was removed, then soon, people lose their reason to return. Why spend all that money when you are getting so much less?

I obviously agree with your statement that Disney is a business (a massive one), but disagree with the rest of your message.

As is the case with any business of any size, operations have to be constantly looked at and evaluated. Businesses are dynamic and always have to be examining every little detail to see what can or should be changed. As a billion dollar business, WDW operates under the same principles but on a grand scale.

Although I appreciate the awareness and discussion of things that are changing (this thread re Fantasmic! being a case in point), I completely disagree with the statement about Disney cutting and not adding. When I logged on today, I looked at photos of the Contemporary Tower and read about Sunset Blvd store refurbs. How much do these things cost? How about the cost to refurb the rooms at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs,etc.? What about the POTC refurb, Haunted Mansion refurb, SSE refurb and building the AKL Villas? Oh yeah, and TSMM opened recently at a reported cost of $40 million and as work progresses on The American Idol Experience, plans are also in the works for Pixar Place.There are many, many, many more examples of money being spent. Hundreds of millions of dollars goes quickly when you do all of the upkeep that Disney does, as well as add $100 million attractions like Everest.

I don't see everything with rose colored glasses, but it is apparent that there are people on the boards (not directed to Eyorefan) who start a thread or post every time something is cut, but seem to barely acknowledge when millions is spent on a resort, attraction, shop, etc.

Some people seem to have become so blase about things..."Oh yes, another refurb...another $40 million ride...whatever...yawn. By the way, did you hear that the cup sizes are going to be an ounce smaller? And I saw gum on Splash...OMG! It's not like it used to be. They must be cutting back on maintanence again. I'm going to start a thread about that!"

It's a massive business and there is always give and take. We Disney fanantics are the harshest critics and the stuff we discuss and complain about is oblivious* to 99.9% of WDW visitors. These boards sometimes bring out the best (worst?) in people's negativity. It's kind of sad actually. :-(

*(Recent example of obliviousness. Conversation at MK between my DW and a complete stranger who stopped her and asked what there was to do there.)

Stranger: "Excuse me. Have you been here before?"
DW: "Yes, several times."
Stranger: "What's there to do here?"
(After 3 minutes of explaining what there is to do at MK, the conversation ended as follows:
DW: "You can take the train from here in Frontierland to Toontown"
Stranger: There's a train?"
DW: Sigh (not verbalized)

drew81

First and foremost, Fantasmic is still the premiere show on all of Disney property. It packs in thousands of guests each night. If asked I'm sure guests would much rather see Mickey at Fant than some no-name singing Whitney Houston covers up on a screen at night.

Disney is really giving a lame excuse for the reason of cutting it back to 2 days a week. The whole press release sounds like it was written by one of Jay Rasulo's yes men.

Pumbas Nakasak

Disney manufactors their own fireworks...so I don't think this is the case here.

And I really don't think this is a sign for bad times at Disney at all. I think they're using the economy as a cover up for something bigger. With all of the other news/rumors coming out about 3 new attractions for Fantasyland and the Monster's Inc inverted coaster for DHS, this doesn't sound much like bad times to me...what this sounds like is a phase out...or atleast Disney trying to bring the spotlight off of Fantasmic. Face it. The show is old... I wouldn't doubt if we have 4 completely new night-time spectaculars for 2011. So instead of seeing this as "darn, only 2 nights of Fantasmic now..." I'm seeing "well having only 2 nights of fantasmic means that DHS will have 5 nights open that will eventually be filled with something!"

and to whoever said "i wonder if they'll be turning DHS into a 9-5 park" hush! Stop agreeing with all the negativity on these boards and form your own opinion. WDW didn't just rebrand MGM and add a newly named land to the park to turn it into a park with shorter operating hours. Maybe since they're only showing Fantasmic twice a week they're going to consider keeping DHS closed for part of the week too!!! :hammer:

Are you an Entertainment managerial cast member that lives near another poster? Cause unless your auntys next door neighbours sisters cats veterinarian has told you otherwise its a Fact that Disney is in imenent danger of financial ruin afterall its been posted on here.

devoy1701

Hi devoy, are you certain Disney manufactures their own fireworks? I was under the assumption, but could definitely be mistaken, they purchase from outside vendors and have long term contracts in place.

I'm fairly certain they make most (if not all) of their own fireworks. Afterall, they do carry an explosives permit that I thought covered not only the storage and use of fireworks but also the manufacturing of explosives. They create their own computer timed fuses for the mortars that they use in Wishes and RoE and have patents on several colors of fireworks, so putting 2 & 2 together I am fairly certain they manufactor their fireworks on property.

I meant to put that I'm pretty sure that they manufacture their own fireworks in my first post...so if I'm mistaken, sorry! but thanks for not thread bashing! it's so much friendlier on here when people ask nicely! thanks Scar!

I would assume this is happening because American Idol will be opening in January and would be competing against Fantasmic for a big audience for the finale show of AI. So it makes sense to me not to have 2 big shows for people to pick and only make Fantasmic an option a few times a week. :shrug:

devoy1701

Are you an Entertainment managerial cast member that lives near another poster? Cause unless your auntys next door neighbours sisters cats veterinarian has told you otherwise its a Fact that Disney is in imenent danger of financial ruin afterall its been posted on here.

Yes...all of that... and I play golf with Bob Iger (though I get to call him Bobby) and Mike Eisner once a week... So I'm in the know.

But seriously, the Disney company has $5.93 Billion in Operating Cash Flow and another $3.86 billion in the bank. And you wanna tell me that Disney is having to cut back on things like how often they show Fantasmic and that they are being affected by the shortage of fireworks???? Get real people! Too many of you are the Doom and Gloom type...and that's exactly what I told Mike and Bobby last week!

Pumbas Nakasak

Yes...all of that... and I play golf with Bob Iger (though I get to call him Bobby) and Mike Eisner once a week... So I'm in the know.

Well can you tell them that doom and gloom is rife and all because of a few vertically challenged people in character out fits no longer stalk dinner tables, and that a measure that would save all of $2.50 a night has been seen to signal financial ruin is just around the corner.

sbkline

DL is primarily visited by locals. For them, no show in the off season isnt a problem, as they just see it later in the year.

WDW is very different, in that it is primarily visited by "once a year" type guests. People who go infrequently. Many dont have an opportunity to visit later when the show is running. WDW is all about offering "everything" - "all the time". No matter when you go to WDW, you should get (almost) the same experience.

There is no chance of Block party being ran twice a day, so I would forget that one.

I see it just the opposite. As I explained in my previous posts, I think it's more likely to be the locals and more frequent visitors who will get ticked off at this and quit going, as evidenced by some posters here who have said that if this keeps up, they will no longer be going to WDW. I think one poster here actually said that he won't be returning anytime soon after his annual pass expires. It's the hardcore people who will get miffed by this kind of thing and quit coming, IMO. People who love the place so much that they visit all the time and post on message boards, and have had a chance to develop a love for Disney, favorite attractions, firm opinions on how it should run, etc. Those are the people who are going to be disenchanted when one of their beloved attractions goes away, and will speak of not going anymore.

On the other hand, the less frequent visitors, such as the once a year people, once every 2 year people, first time visitors, etc, will just shrug it off and find other things to do and still have a blast. WDW is so huge, that there is so much to do that you can't possibly do it all on one trip. My wife and I made our second visit on property in April and we did several things that we hadn't done before, and when we go again (whenever that may be depending on our family planning situation), there are many other new things that we will do...especially since it will be our first trip with our little one. We enjoy Fantasmic. We enjoy Wishes. We enjoy Illuminations. But we only did two of those three on our last trip, and if things work out such that we miss one on the next trip, it's no big deal. There's plenty to do. And I think most infrequent visitors feel the same way. Fantasmic is just one attraction. They may be disappointed not to be able to see it on that trip, but I don't think they're gonna write off their trip because of one attraction. They're gonna do what they can do and have fun, knowing that they can't do it all. I think most infrequent visitors are more casual visitors...they don't keep up with all the goings on at WDW, visit messageboards, etc. They just plan a fun trip with their family and leave it at that. And if they plan to see that Fantasmic show that they've heard all this talk about, only to find it's not playing that night, I doubt that very many of them are going to rush back to their room, pack their bags and leave early and vow never to go again. Most likely, they'll just go back to the hotel and get in the pool, go see Wishes, play some mini-golf, or whatever and not put too much more thought into it. Again, I think it's the fanatics like us who are more likely to not return.

sbkline

As for the statements that attendance will drop because people go to the Studios to see Fantasmic, I disagree. Of course, I have no statistics or research to back me up, so it's all just opinion, but I don't think the majority of people go there just to see Fantasmic. I think they would be more drawn to ToT and RnRC. But I guess it all gets back to my previous point that the casual visitors just want to go and do what they are able to do and see what they are able to see. They haven't invested as much time as we have in WDW, frequenting messageboards, reading books, etc. WDW isn't their hobby like it is ours. They're just going to have a good time. I find it very hard to believe that a significant number of people would seriously only go to the Studios just to see one show. I don't even think that harcore fans like us account for a significant number of the attendance. Now I do agree that this will get people out of the park much earlier, as you can pretty well do the park by 5 or 6 and then head out unless you want to stake out your seat for Fantasmic and stay to watch that show.

I have been arguing that I don't think this is a cost cutting measure. However, I should clarify my position by saying that I don't think it's a cost cutting measure out of desperation in regards to bleak forecasts. It may very well be a cost cutting measure to the extent that all businesses, even in the best of economic times, constantly search for ways of being more cost effecient. That's just business. Even if times are good and you're raking in the dough, it's still a common thing for businesses to find ways to maximize their labor/profit ratio. And it could very well be, as others have pointed out, that while everyone is in the ampitheater waiting for the show to start, the cast members in the rest of the park are sitting there drumming their fingers, filing their fingernails and listening to the crickets chirp...meaning that there is an entire park hardly making any sales, yet having to pay the CMs at all the attractions just to stand there and look pretty. And perhaps Disney decided that it's a waste of money that doesn't justify keeping the park open just for Fantasmic 7 days a week.

Vernonpush

I see your point and...I don't know haha. Just trying to think like the big wigs would and while I would pick Fantasmic over American Idol, others might rather see the final show of AI :shrug:

OK, someone mentioned a big screen going up in front of "the Hat" for the final competition. Perhaps the AIE has a sponsor (phone company) so that those people in the park can "call or text (standard rates apply)" for their favorite (just like the TV show). Disney might have made a deal to "limit other distractions" to get as many people as possible to watch the Finale'. Monsters Inc. LF already has the "text in your joke". :shrug:

Something to think about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom