Fantasmic gets cut to just 2 shows per week

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Now I do agree that this will get people out of the park much earlier, as you can pretty well do the park by 5 or 6 and then head out unless you want to stake out your seat for Fantasmic and stay to watch that show.

Which will I assume have a negative impact on dining?

Not exactly financially prudent, if Disney is selling food at a profit of course.

RiversideBunny

In past years Fantasmic used to be shown only on certain nights- Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays or something like that.
I remember having to plan around the schedule.
It was no big deal.

That was during the slower times of the year like early December.
WDW did not want to show Fantasmic to a theater that was not full.

:)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
In past years Fantasmic used to be shown only on certain nights- Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays or something like that.
I remember having to plan around the schedule.
It was no big deal.

That was during the slower times of the year like early December.
WDW did not want to show Fantasmic to a theater that was not full.

:)

Fantasmic has been a nightly show since opening. :)

sbkline

Which will I assume have a negative impact on dining?

Not exactly financially prudent, if Disney is selling food at a profit of course.

Well, perhaps people would make supper their last activity of the day at DHS, eating at 5 or 6, then heading out rather than stake out their seat for Fantasmic, in which case it would have little effect on dining. I obviously don't know what everyone else's habit is, but my wife and I ate supper after we were pretty well done at the park, and then headed towards Fantasmic after we were done.

Or, perhaps many people would leave the park and go have supper somewhere else. If they ate on property, then there would be a negative impact on dining at DHS, but they would still be eating at a restaraunt somewhere at WDW, so in the final analysis, the Mouse is still getting your dining dollars, whether you eat at Brown Derby or Tony's Town Square, or the restaraunt back at your resort. I'm not sure how important it is to ensure that a particular park makes a certain dollar amount vs the overall bottom line of the entire resort complex, so I don't know how concerned they would be at the loss of dining dollars at DHS if they thought the majority of those dollars were being spent at another WDW restaraunt.

Of course, then we can speculate on whether the park is to remain open until 9 or 10, since AI will be showing in place of Fantasmic. If so, then for the first several months, anyway, there will probably be alot of people who will stay until AI out of curiosity to see what it's all about (since they wouldn't have had a chance yet to decide it sucks). So if the majority of crowds stay the same amount of time as before so as to see AI, then there should be little effect on dining.

On the other hand, if the park closes early, then we can discuss whether or not the loss of dining profits will be offset by the money saved by not having to pay all the CMs to be there as long, the water and electric to keep the park running those extra hours, etc.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Well, perhaps people would make supper their last activity of the day at DHS, eating at 5 or 6, then heading out rather than stake out their seat for Fantasmic, in which case it would have little effect on dining. I obviously don't know what everyone else's habit is, but my wife and I ate supper after we were pretty well done at the park, and then headed towards Fantasmic after we were done.

Or, perhaps many people would leave the park and go have supper somewhere else. If they ate on property, then there would be a negative impact on dining at DHS, but they would still be eating at a restaraunt somewhere at WDW, so in the final analysis, the Mouse is still getting your dining dollars, whether you eat at Brown Derby or Tony's Town Square, or the restaraunt back at your resort. I'm not sure how important it is to ensure that a particular park makes a certain dollar amount vs the overall bottom line of the entire resort complex, so I don't know how concerned they would be at the loss of dining dollars at DHS if they thought the majority of those dollars were being spent at another WDW restaraunt.

Assuming of course that all/majority of guests are staying on site :shrug:

wickedfan07

And I really don't think this is a sign for bad times at Disney at all. I think they're using the economy as a cover up for something bigger. With all of the other news/rumors coming out about 3 new attractions for Fantasyland and the Monster's Inc inverted coaster for DHS, this doesn't sound much like bad times to me...what this sounds like is a phase out...or atleast Disney trying to bring the spotlight off of Fantasmic. Face it. The show is old... I wouldn't doubt if we have 4 completely new night-time spectaculars for 2011. So instead of seeing this as "darn, only 2 nights of Fantasmic now..." I'm seeing "well having only 2 nights of fantasmic means that DHS will have 5 nights open that will eventually be filled with something!"

and to whoever said "i wonder if they'll be turning DHS into a 9-5 park" hush! Stop agreeing with all the negativity on these boards and form your own opinion. WDW didn't just rebrand MGM and add a newly named land to the park to turn it into a park with shorter operating hours. Maybe since they're only showing Fantasmic twice a week they're going to consider keeping DHS closed for part of the week too!!! :hammer:

:rolleyes:

If there's nothing going on after dark to keep the park open for, why bother keeping it open past 5? It's the (il)logical next step for the nights when Fantasmic is not shown. It was a question posed out of frustration with recent announcements; not in agreement with negativity.

As for the bad times really being good times: None of that is official. It is all entierely rumor at this point. It could be on the table ready to be green lit today, but on the top shelf collecting dust by tomorrow. We don't know what is going on inside the Mouse House; things change constantly. Disney could build Monsters, Inc and the three new Fantasyland attractions just as easily as they could open DHS 9-5 and close it every Tuesday in the off-season. None, either or both could happen.

If you read back a it in the thread, you'll see that many people are not being all-out negative about this. It could be leading to bigger and better things, but it could also be leading to a path we don't want to tread on. It's option number two that has people worried. It is our nature to fear the worst, and we obviously are doing that pretty well.

On a final note, I personally believe that I am capable of making my own opinions about things, but I thank you for your concern. :)

Lucky

I see your point and...I don't know haha. Just trying to think like the big wigs would and while I would pick Fantasmic over American Idol, others might rather see the final show of AI :shrug:
If only it really were the final show of AI.

I don't spend $4000 to go to Orlando to watch a TV show. I didn't watch "Millionaire" at DHS and I won't watch AI.

PrincessBitty

The only thing constant is change ... there have been many an attraction beloved and otherwise that have come and gone with varying life spans. Nothing lasts forever!

jmvd20

:rolleyes:

If there's nothing going on after dark to keep the park open for, why bother keeping it open past 5? It's the (il)logical next step for the nights when Fantasmic is not shown.

RnR and ToT along with the other attractions will still be open and those are pretty much what the average guest cares about.

Fantasmic not being there for 5 nights will only effect the people who love Fantasmic and only go to DHS to see Fantasmic.

jmvd20

The only thing constant is change ... there have been many an attraction beloved and otherwise that have come and gone with varying life spans. Nothing lasts forever!

Very true. I knew Epcot would be doomed as soon as Horizons closed...

Like I said many pages ago, when strong emotions are attached to people/places/and objects it is almost impossible to be unbiased. People here admittedly "love" Fantasmic and that is why this is so horrible to them. In reality though Fantasmic is simply not what pays the bills at MGM/DHS.

RSoxNo1

Take this for what it's worth, but through a friend of a friend (She works as a Snow White face character, as well as on Kali and Expedition Everest). She informed me that the 2 nights a week will only be through April and it is the result of needed refurbishment as well to focus the crowds on American Idol.

disnyfan89

:lookaroun
It's not like Disney doesn't have a cross training initiative where you can learn one thing and then be utilized in another department. I believe it is called cross-u. There are a lot of performers in WDW that also do other things as well. A good example of this is Disney's YES (Youth Education Series) program. There is a good handful of entertainment individuals who facilitate these programs.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's not like Disney doesn't have a cross training initiative where you can learn one thing and then be utilized in another department. I believe it is called cross-u. There are a lot of performers in WDW that also do other things as well. A good example of this is Disney's YES (Youth Education Series) program. There is a good handful of entertainment individuals who facilitate these programs.

Actually my :lookaroun was more because of the first part of the sentence. It has more magic killing potential than the remaining part.....

disnyfan89

Ahhh, forgive me then. :lol: I could see Snow working at EE! Just imagine, it the latest cut. You get your entertainment and ride ops all at the same time!

jmvd20

Take this for what it's worth, but through a friend of a friend (She works as a Snow White face character, as well as on Kali and Expedition Everest). She informed me that the 2 nights a week will only be through April and it is the result of needed refurbishment as well to focus the crowds on American Idol.

:ROFLOL:

If true that would be hillarious. All this talk about Disney gutting things for greed, taking everything away from the guests just to save money... Yet in the end they are really spending more money to improve the guests experience!

JWG

Clearly closing WDW down during the off-season is the best cost control option. $0 in expense except for outstanding loans if any. I guess that's not true of Animal Kingdom, the animals have to eat. Ok, AK only in the off season! All other parks closed.

I do believe this is a cost cutting issue. I doubt that Fantasmic adds much to the bottom line. glow necklaces only have so much profit opportunity.

You have three choices to make money, raise prices and hope people still come, hold prices but cut the features, lower prices and hope more people come. Disney seems to be doing the 2nd as I haven' heard of a 8/1 ticket price hike (yet).

As I'm notified that my natural gas bill is going up 30-50% as of now, gas is costing me 25% more than a year ago, inflation is up 1.1% from June (wholesale inflation is up 9.2% from a year ago) and food costs continue to escalate, it doesn't really matter what Disney does. I'm not going. I remember paying $300 total to fly two of us to Orlando and never paying more than $225 a person. Now, I can't find less than $300 from where I live (and that's before all the surcharges and newly added fees).

My long-winded point - Disney is doing what we're all doing - cutting expense. They did it in 2001 (through resort closures and reduced hours) and they're doing it again now. At some point we'll come through this "not a recession" and things will pick up.

Senderella

Your logic there sounds rather stupid, IMO.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it does. :shrug: I agree with Lucky. Granted, it's understood (I hope) a person is not paying Xg to see any one attraction. I'm not going to spend my time at WDW doing things I can do at home easily (in this case, sit home and watch American Idol on tv for free).

I can kind of understand doing this to cut costs in a low period. It stinks though because it's one of dh's favorites. Our last trip, we got rained out waiting for Fantasmic and since it was a short trip, we didn't get a chance to see it. It's also one of the few attractions that the villians as a whole play a big part of. I can understand, but it stinks and I don't have to like it LOL.

We've got a trip planned for the first of January and we're taking some friends of ours who are first timers AND I've almost got them converted (slipping them Koolaid every weekend). They were anti Disney for so long. It's one of the shows they're really excited to see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom