Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

Senderella

Originally posted by cherrynegra
http://www.wftv.com/news/3287714/detail.html

As an addendum, I did write them an email asking for an update. I highly doubt we'll see any.

I doubt it too. I don't remember seeing an update of the Tigger case. Seems like a Disney article hits and that's the last we see of it.

Now on to my opinions on this whole mess. I actually read all 20some odd pages before responding to anything. First of all, Dmagic dude... get over it. You took comments and twisted them to make them sound like what you wanted so you could continue to stir the ____.pot.

I don't see the reasoning for taking a LV bag on vacation period. Wealthy or not. I don't take my nice stuff on vacation and I'm sure many of yall are the same. I do it simply because if it gets lost or whatever, it's no big deal. I'll take a WM purpse or backpack with me :)lol: that's the upscale Walmart brand! ;) ) that doesn't have the same value to me as some of my more beloved stuff. Not to mention, I don't want to draw attention to myself with something that looks pricey. I even go so far as leaving my wedding ring & nicer jewelry at home. I'll take my Claire's stuff but nothing that has any value to me but I digress... tha'ts just me. People do what they want. It sounds fishy because of the gaping holes in the story. It has nothing to do with who she is or where she came from. We live in a society now where you really can't trust anyone. We're bombarded with stories of crimes all the time.

As far as the passport/picture ID goes, if I remember correctly (I may be wrong. My friend originally from India isn't online to confer with) but I don't think Indian women are allowed to drive. Traditionally. Passports pass as a valid form of picture ID in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all the picture ID she had on her. I don't deny she's probably scared out of her wits (if this in fact true) being in this sort of situation in a totally different country, but she's not as screwed as the media said because of the travelers cheques (reiterating what other people said on that matter). Personally, I don't think it sounds legit but we'll never know what happened because we're not going to hear another word about it. It's sad to think that people intentionally come up with ways to get a lot of money out of Disney. I think these things inhibit Disney's parks progress and innovations/refurbs and cause things to sky rocket in price. They've got to make it up somewhere. A company isn't just going to take the loss. It probably happens a lot more than we know.

Anyhow... my 2 rambling cents are overwith. The moral of the story kids... dmagickingdom whatever his name was needs to get a life, quit stirring the ____.pot and quit claiming people are "hating on him" :rolleyes: (which I might add is the most childish thing a grown person who's supposedly a BANKER could say)

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by Senderella
Anyhow... my 2 rambling cents are overwith. The moral of the story kids... dmagickingdom whatever his name was needs to get a life, quit stirring the ____.pot and quit claiming people are "hating on him" :rolleyes: (which I might add is the most childish thing a grown person who's supposedly a BANKER could say)

HAHAHA! You GO SENDERELLA!!! :sohappy:

That phrasee is one of the stupidest-sounding abuses of the English language I hear today. (Not that I'm hating on anyone for using it! :lookaroun )

I think he was a MONOPOLY Banker....usually we let my little sister do that, but to each his own....

:p

Erika

I have never heard anything about Indian women not being able to drive, but I don't doubt that you heard that from someone. It's a really diverse country with a lot of subcultures and I am sure that there are certain women who do not drive due to religious/cultural reasons.

MKBurn15

Now on to my opinions on this whole mess. I actually read all 20some odd pages before responding to anything. First of all, Dmagic dude... get over it. You took comments and twisted them to make them sound like what you wanted so you could continue to stir the ____.pot.

Ooo. Twisting comments! Like this?

MKBurn15 is the coolest. MKBurn15 is the best person in the world. Llamas are cool. I like llamas. MKBurn15 has a llama named Petunia.

:lol:

Erika

Originally posted by TAC
I'm not an expert in Indian culture, but if (by her culture or religion) does not have a driver's license, I agree - the only form of ID she probably would have would be a passport. [Even if she DID have an Indian driver's license, it's probably in Hindu, so would the CM be able to read it ?]

Believe it or not, English is used heavily throughout the country. Don't forget the British influence. India has hundreds of local languages but English is used for commerce, education, etc (as is Hindi- not Hindu). It's my understanding that most educated Indians speak a minimum of 2 languages, one being whatever is local and the second often being English. I believe both English and Hindi are the 2 official languages of India.

In fact, I've had Indian friends return to their home country, and if they are in regions other than where they grew up, English is the only language with which they can get by. It's kind of the common thread that runs throughout... although they've had to adopt heavy Indian accents to be understood (true story).

sabian

How this issue turned into one centered on stereotypes and race evades me. Maybe some of us need to take it down a notch. OH!!! I frogot. The police decided to take this one of of our hands. They'll be doing the investigating from here.... Thank goodness.....:lol:

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by Erika
Believe it or not, English is used heavily throughout the country. Don't forget the British influence. India has hundreds of local languages but English is used for commerce, education, etc (as is Hindi- not Hindu). It's my understanding that most educated Indians speak a minimum of 2 languages, one being whatever is local and the second often being English. I believe both English and Hindi are the 2 official languages of India.

In fact, I've had Indian friends return to their home country, and if they are in regions other than where they grew up, English is the only language with which they can get by. It's kind of the common thread that runs throughout... although they've had to adopt heavy Indian accents to be understood (true story).

Very true. You just reminded me of my good friend Tina who speaks English and Hindi fluently. Everything you put I know Tina has told me at some point or another.

Oh, her family is fortunate to have the amount of money this lady seems to have. My friend is loaded :lol: but she doesn't show it off and is a simple person.

dmagickingdom

Yes, and as an excellent example...many US businesses are using arab countries such as India to do work for them. They are hiring these people to work call centers and such because they will work for less AND they speak english.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Originally posted by dmagickingdom
Yes, and as an excellent example...many US businesses are using arab countries such as India to do work for them. They are hiring these people to work call centers and such because they will work for less AND they speak english.

Just a correction. India is not an Arab country. It is a southeast Asian country. But you are correct. They are the main suppliers of outsourcing employment to the US mainland.

Senderella

Originally posted by TAC
I'm not an expert in Indian culture, but if (by her culture or religion) does not have a driver's license, I agree - the only form of ID she probably would have would be a passport. [Even if she DID have an Indian driver's license, it's probably in Hindu, so would the CM be able to read it ?] If she follows the culture of her country, don't you think that she would be "subservient" to her husband ? If that is the case, wouldn't her husband be talking to the media, and not her ? For her to make comments to the media, I doubt very much that she is "scared out of her wits." IF there is ANY validity to her story, she is definitely NOT scared out of her wits.

Ya know, I don't know about the subservient thing. Simply based on the conversations my friend Pushpa & I have had and what I know, I know she's not like that, but it may be they're a younger generation and they live in NYC. Americanized if you will. I do know that the higher class women in India are not allowed to drink or smoke because... something about it being seen as a low class thing. I really wish I could catch her online so I can ask her some of these things that have come up.

dmagickingdom

Originally posted by cherrynegra
Just a correction. India is not an Arab country. It is a southeast Asian country. But you are correct. They are the main suppliers of outsourcing employment to the US mainland.

Thanks for the correction!!! Obviously you can tell that I am no expert in world geography!!! :hammer:

barnum42

Yes, and as an excellent example...many US businesses are using countries such as India to do work for them. They are hiring these people to work call centers and such because they will work for less AND they speak english.
And they have to use fake Western names to make it sound as if they are not in India:hammer:

dmagickingdom

Originally posted by barnum42
And they have to use fake Western names to make it sound as if they are not in India:hammer:

I'm not sure about that but it wouldn't surprize me at all as these large companies do not want to alarm their clients.

no2apprentice

Believe it or not, English is used heavily throughout the country.
Reminds me of a joke I heard several years ago.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language? An American businessman.

Anyway, back on topic. For me, I will always wonder two things.

1-The description of the person who was in the room when the engineer arrived.

2-The article says the engineer had to "make" a key for the safe. Make a key? Wouldn't maintenance have a backup key in a secure place? Or do they make keys using a code on an "as needed" basis to ensure greater security for the safes?

But, as others have said, we'll probably never know the follow-up investigation on this. The media made their splash, nothing more is needed.

phlydude

Originally posted by no2apprentice

2-The article says the engineer had to "make" a key for the safe. Make a key? Wouldn't maintenance have a backup key in a secure place? Or do they make keys using a code on an "as needed" basis to ensure greater security for the safes?

But, as others have said, we'll probably never know the follow-up investigation on this. The media made their splash, nothing more is needed.

I lost a key (and thankfully found it) but was warned that the cylinder would have to be replaced, not a key made. They were very particular about IDing me when I went to claim the key and had to describe what was in the safe when it was opened by a MANAGER.

May not be the guest BUT someone is pulling a BIG OLE SCAM!:eek:

barnum42

I'm not sure about that but it wouldn't surprize me at all as these large companies do not want to alarm their clients.
I got a telesales call from someone called "Jack" with a very thick Indian accent. He admitted he was in Bangalore and that Jack was not his real name.

dmagickingdom

Originally posted by TAC
Some people would refute that last point. :brick:

Companies have complained to Dell (since they signed a major deal with Dell to supply their company with computers) that the customer service SUCKS. Dell responed by taking back the customer service for them.

LOL...i didn't say good english. I understand where you are coming from because the large corp. that i work for also hired people from India to work call centers and has since stopped because of complaints. (i don't blame the clients because first, it's difficult to comprehend that you are calling and end up in India and secondly, you CANNOT understand many of the people because of the heavy accent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom