Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

dmagickingdom

Originally posted by barnum42
I got a telesales call from someone called "Jack" with a very thick Indian accent. He admitted he was in Bangalore and that Jack was not his real name.

Now that's funny. Not only would you get a new job in a call center but for your boss to tell you, "son, when you're on the clock, your name is Frank, not abdullah."

phlydude

I work for a LARGE Customer Relations Management company (industry speak for telemarketing company) that does both inbound and outbound call handling for MAJOR Fortune 500 companies.

At first, we started out 100% US based. Then we started moving some calling into Canada and then the UK and Ireland. About 3 years ago, we went into the Caribbean and just last year opened in the Philippines. The cost savings for the company has been so great in the Philippines that there are talks of opening another center there. There were also talks of opening in India but that has been put on hold because of instability in that market and the poor results that other companies are getting from the workforce (reports are that they are unhappy working the overnight there when it is day here).

Companies move their operations overseas because of cost savings and an unskilled labor market in the US. The skilled workers are in decent paying jobs. Those left over are the so called "McLabor" (meaning those qualified to work in McDonalds type jobs and not much more). When you put someone in front of a computer and they don't know how to even begin to use it, it makes it difficult to teach the labor the concept of a mouse and how to access customer records (I had an employee who I asked to move his cursor to one area on the screen and he picked up the mouse and put it on the screen where I was pointing - very difficult to maintain composure when time is limited and the skillset is not there).

The overseas market has college educated people who want these jobs, in the US, the jobs remain unfilled because people feel that they are above this type of work.

** Sorry for the thread drift **

Bimmy56

How did a thread about the safe robbery at WDW morph into a thread about telemarketers? It's like the old "telephone" game we used to play as children.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tigsmom

Originally posted by Bimmy56
How did a thread about the safe robbery at WDW morph into a thread about telemarketers? It's like the old "telephone" game we used to play as children.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tis the dreaded "Thread Drift"! :lol:

So...any updates?

barnum42

Originally posted by dmagickingdom
LOL...i didn't say good english. I understand where you are coming from because the large corp. that i work for also hired people from India to work call centers and has since stopped because of complaints.
AOL UK appears to have switched their technical support to India. The people they have hired are dreadful, they will not listen to you and are not interested in resolving the problem you report. I think they just want to brush you off in order to keep their call rate up. Their ability to speak English was not the issue, they were just people who did not care about the task they were doing.

Here is the fun part, I called the UK office to complain, and they won't let you complain on the phone. I asked for their email address, they will not let you complain via email. This great internet based corporation will only look at complaints if you mail them in!

By the way I am not with AOL, I was helping my folk out. They of course are now ditching AOL.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Originally posted by TAC
Companies have complained to Dell (since they signed a major deal with Dell to supply their company with computers) that the customer service SUCKS. Dell responed by taking back the customer service for them.

You're partly correct. It's actually the Dell call centers dealing with businesses that were moved back to the U.S. But the call centers dealing with non-business Dell customers, i.e. you and me, still deal with the call centers in India.

And yes, how did this thread drift so far from the original topic?:lol:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Citibank as well has call centers in India... whenever I call now, I ask for a spanish speaking representative... I'm at least guaranteed someone in this hemisphere

nfeagle5

that was "hardcore" thread drift

(Indian telemarketers)- next it will be about the Irish telemarketers on strike because they cant drink on the job........lol:lol: :lol: jk

MKBurn15

Originally posted by nfeagle5
that was "hardcore" thread drift

(Indian telemarketers)- next it will be about the Irish telemarketers on strike because they cant drink on the job........lol:lol: :lol: jk
I was just about to talk about the Irish telemarketers! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

WDW John

Originally posted by nfeagle5
next it will be about the Irish telemarketers on strike because they cant drink on the job

It's funny that you say that. At my company it was "OK" to drink on the job up until as recently as the late '80's. The company certainly didn't promote it (we're in manufacturing and use a lot of potentially dangerous equipment) but they...looked the other way, if you will. It got so bad that on December 24th when you walked in there would be someone at the door passing out beer from an ice filled trash can. I told a friend of mine about that and he said "why did they end that? It seems to me that once you can drink on the job you have nothing left to complain about."

[attempt to get back on topic]I sure would hate to lose $13,000.[/attempt to get back on topic]

phlydude

Originally posted by WDW John
It's funny that you say that. At my company it was "OK" to drink on the job up until as recently as the late '80's. The company certainly didn't promote it (we're in manufacturing and use a lot of potentially dangerous equipment) but they...looked the other way, if you will. It got so bad that on December 24th when you walked in there would be someone at the door passing out beer from an ice filled trash can. I told a friend of mine about that and he said "why did they end that? It seems to me that once you can drink on the job you have nothing left to complain about."

[attempt to get back on topic]I sure would hate to lose $13,000.[/attempt to get back on topic]

One word for you:

UNIONS

lamarvenoy

One of my Uncles worked for Stroh's Beer company in NJ. Up until I think '82 they had a keg in the lunch room....drink as much as you like but if you get drunk:wave: I couldn't drink in the middle of my workday if I stop drinking I have to eat and then sleep.:snore:

WDW John

Originally posted by phlydude
One word for you:

UNIONS

Actually, up until Dec. 31, 2002, we were family owned and we have never been a Union shop.

Some of the guys used to drink at work and then go to the bar literally next door after their shift. One day one of the guys left the bar and killed a young girl. After that, the owner of our company stopped all drinking on the job, bought the bar and gave the proprietor 7 years to close. After the 7 years were up the bar closed and the owner tore the building down, now it's just an empty lot. I still work with the guy who killed the girl. His still damaged car sits in his garage, unused, and when he gets the urge to drink he goes out and looks at his car.

Sorry for extreme thread drift.

MKBurn15

Actually, up until Dec. 31, 2002, we were family owned and we have never been a Union shop.

Some of the guys used to drink at work and then go to the bar literally next door after their shift. One day one of the guys left the bar and killed a young girl. After that, the owner of our company stopped all drinking on the job, bought the bar and gave the proprietor 7 years to close. After the 7 years were up the bar closed and the owner tore the building down, now it's just an empty lot. I still work with the guy who killed the girl. His still damaged car sits in his garage, unused, and when he gets the urge to drink he goes out and looks at his car.

Sorry for extreme thread drift.
That's Sad.:(

DDuckFan130

Sorry for the thread drift but there's something I've been meaning to ask...

How strict is this following rule enforced?

Spam - Any user who continually submits posts that have no meaningful content, in attempt of increasing post count, or some other "self promotion", is subject to removal/deletion.

I don't like to point out these things and just stay out of it but I've noticed this kind of thing happening lately by, well I don't need to name anyone but I think some of you may get my drift. I was just curious to know how serious an "offense" this is :lol:.

Sorry again....back to your discussion :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom