Expedition Everest effects status watch

Helena123

Expedition Everest is just in its terrible twos. But now that it's April and nearly (or past) its third birthday, we've been getting mountain mist, and hopefully a solution to the yeti problem.

Please *crosses fingers*

I've only seen the Yeti in B mode and although i was impressed with the ride, B mode was a bit of an anticlimax. The boys behind us didn't even notice it, so we went back round to re-ride i had to tell them where it was so they could look out for it :brick:

WelshBatman

For the amount of time you exactly see the yeti, it's not that big of a deal. I mean, I was fortunate enough to see the yeti in A mode, but B mode is still pretty good and half the time people don't even see the yeti anyway.

While A mode is awesome, you're not missing that much when you see it in B mode. Just enjoy the ride and the rest of the attraction.

Thrill Seeker

I haven't been on Everest since late 2007 when the Yeti was working fine. They need to shut the thing down before the summer in order to patch it up for the really heavy crowds.

WelshBatman

All he does is roar and kinda reach out to get you... you still get the roar and his arm is outstretched in B mode...

I see what you mean, but all I'm saying is that there's a lot to appreciate in that attraction and people that think their experience is ruined because they didn't see the yeti in A-mode are just wrong.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
All he does is roar and kinda reach out to get you... you still get the roar and his arm is outstretched in B mode...

I see what you mean, but all I'm saying is that there's a lot to appreciate in that attraction and people that think their experience is ruined because they didn't see the yeti in A-mode are just wrong.

The full working finale scene is a major part of the attarction for me. Yes the coaster is great, but the yeti scene working properly is just the icing on the cake. B mode is an anti-climax - especially when the yeti is hyped so much as the star of the show.

SirGoofy

Ummm, if you pay attention to the story of the ride, the whole thing is a build up to your confrontation with the yeti. So yes, having him barely visible and nonoperational completely ruins the overall experience.

And "all he does is roar and kinda reach out to get you"? Really? Did you ever experience A mode. The thing lunges like the beast it is to try and rip your head off. I honestly had never been so impressed with an AA before. All the more reason to get him back up and running.

The full working finale scene is a major part of the attarction for me. Yes the coaster is great, but the yeti scene working properly is just the icing on the cake. B mode is an anti-climax - especially when the yeti is hyped so much as the star of the show.

Bingo, Steve.

WelshBatman

If you read my previous comments, you'll see that, yes I have experienced the A mode. And how is it anti-climactic when you still get to encounter the yeti? He's still there... The overall experience is not ruined. I'm sorry if you think that way. Like I said in my previous comments, the A mode is cool, but it's not the whole show. Not to mention you still get an encounter with the yeti and for the 2 seconds you actually see the thing, I think B mode is a worthy substitute. Not an experience-wrecking event.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you read my previous comments, you'll see that, yes I have experienced the A mode. And how is it anti-climactic when you still get to encounter the yeti? He's still there... The overall experience is not ruined.

B mode is so dark that most riders totally miss the fact the Yeti is even there. B mode also greatly reduces the lighting in the cave, and you miss all the other non-yeti details of that finale scene.

The whole story to the attraction is how you are taking this journey through a mountain range that is thought to be protected by the yeti. The encounter is what takes Everest beyond just a coaster, and turns it into a story. Do you think Disney would have spent millions of dollars on the figure if they didnt think it was relevant? The yeti is critical to Everest, and that's why it was such a huge part of the design and engineering.

After you have seen the Discovery Channel specials, and heard Joe Rhode telling you how the Yeti has more power than a 747 at take off, seeing a static figure by strobe light just doesnt cut it.

They need to get this fixed, and fast.

scheat

Have ridden in both and A and B mode and I am of the opinion that the Yeti should be fixed asap. WDW is about the magic and a working Yeti is a piece of magic that puts disney above other parks. EE is not that "thrilling" of a coaster(six flags has faster much more white knuckle rides), but what sets it apart is the attention to detail in the theme from the que, to the steam, to the 2 waterfalls, changing track, the bird, etc., which also would include the absolute most important piece-the yeti in A mode. Some people may not see him in B mode, but I guarantee they will see him in A mode.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The overall experience is not ruined.
Oh it is. I`ve yet to see A mode, and feel I`ve ridden just another coaster that has less theming that BTM, 23 years older and still going strong.

WelshBatman

I'm not saying it shouldn't be fixed, I think that with all the money they spent on it, they'd want to fix it as fast as they can. My point is that with it not working, there's no major problem with the ride itself. If the ride stopped there and the Yeti was attacking, then I'd understand it more, but not when you're speeding by at 50mph.

Like I said, A mode is awesome. B mode just isn't that bad. You all have made it sound like B mode is the Disney-ending event of the decade and the ride should be shut down if the Yeti isn't in A mode. It's just not that bad. I'd say be glad we can ride it at all.

Kobe!!

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this ride? I am not familiar with what is wrong it it and what is... also what are the modes...?

Thanks,
Mike :wave:

I'm not saying it shouldn't be fixed, I think that with all the money they spent on it, they'd want to fix it as fast as they can. My point is that with it not working, there's no major problem with the ride itself. If the ride stopped there and the Yeti was attacking, then I'd understand it more, but not when you're speeding by at 50mph.

Like I said, A mode is awesome. B mode just isn't that bad. You all have made it sound like B mode is the Disney-ending event of the decade and the ride should be shut down if the Yeti isn't in A mode. It's just not that bad. I'd say be glad we can ride it at all.

I would prefer they shut it down and fix it. Taking a be glad we can ride it at all even if NONE of the effects are working stance with theme parks is not how Disney became successful. It sadly seems to be a trend that is happening all too often

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this ride? I am not familiar with what is wrong it it and what is... also what are the modes...?

Thanks,
Mike :wave:

Hi Mike,

Have a read through this thread from the start and you'll get all the info. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

It would be like going on the great movie ride and having the witch appear frozen with a strobe on her. Wouldnt quite be right would it.

I would rather it close and be fixed.

EpcotServo

It would be like going on the great movie ride and having the witch appear frozen with a strobe on her. Wouldnt quite be right would it.

I would rather it close and be fixed.

Ok, while I agree with you, it's not THAT bad.
:lol:

I mean, I've always thought B-Mode was actually the more thrilling of the two. Not as good for STORY, but pretty scary compared to A-Mode.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok, while I agree with you, it's not THAT bad.
:lol:

I mean, I've always thought B-Mode was actually the more thrilling of the two. Not as good for STORY, but pretty scary compared to A-Mode.

I think that might be because you've seen A mode, and you know that big yeti is above you, and when it's dark its kinda spooky. The poor people who have never seen A just think they are in a dark tunnel with some flashing lights - and thats the finale to a $100 million ride.

WelshBatman

it wouldn't be like a broken witch on the great movie ride... because you stop in front of the witch therefore giving her more time in the spotlight. You don't stop or slow down in front of the yeti, you keep speeding by, that's why i don't see the big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom