Expedition Everest effects status watch

AndyMagic

The fact that the Yeti breaks down doesn't surprise me given how technically complex he is but what is essentially a fountain, steam, mist, and a plastic bird on a stick shouldn't, "break down" more often than work. It's just so puzzling to me because there are rides that have hundreds more special effects than EE throughout Disney and they are all typically in working order. We don't have a "Tower of Terror effects status watch" thread because that attraction has effects in working order almost every day. So either the ride was poorly designed or the upkeep isn't up to snuff. Either way, it's bad show and the excuses in this thread are amusing. No matter how you slice it, steam and waterfalls are INDEED "simple effects," and have been done before on coaster ride systems in other parks throughout the world. I think it comes down to the fact that because this is primarily a coaster, Disney just doesn't care that much when the attraction's limited special effects don't work. The majority of people will come off entertained regardless because they were speeding through a cavern in the dark. It's still sad though. :(

nuttyskadork

I'm having a hard time remembering but I was on the last week of April (first time so I wouldnt have noticed much), and as far as I remember the Yeti worked. I know they've had problems with him in the past lol.

EpcotServo

The fact that the Yeti breaks down doesn't surprise me given how technically complex he is but what is essentially a fountain, steam, mist, and a plastic bird on a stick shouldn't, "break down" more often than work. It's just so puzzling to me because there are rides that have hundreds more special effects than EE throughout Disney and they are all typically in working order. We don't have a "Tower of Terror effects status watch" thread because that attraction has effects in working order almost every day. So either the ride was poorly designed or the upkeep isn't up to snuff. Either way, it's bad show and the excuses in this thread are amusing. No matter how you slice it, steam and waterfalls are INDEED "simple effects," and have been done before on coaster ride systems in other parks throughout the world. I think it comes down to the fact that because this is primarily a coaster, Disney just doesn't care that much when the attraction's limited special effects don't work. The majority of people will come off entertained regardless because they were speeding through a cavern in the dark. It's still sad though. :(

Ummmm....sorry to say, but actually every ride (Save for maybe RNR) has broken and missing effects near everytime I ride. Tower included!

TOWER EFFECTS WATCH

As of my last time...

-Mist in queue:NOT WORKING

-Fog in Boiler Room:OFF

-Sparks on Sign:OFF

-Door Movement: NOT WORKING

-Camera Eye: OFF

Every ride is just like EE. Each one has broken effects from time to time. Why we still have a watch thread for Everest, is beyond me. I think the effect status of Dinosaur is more interesting right now. Cause none of them work, and that ride is WAYYYY more important for effects!
:lol:

nuttyskadork

When I was there in the end of April, Splash Mountain broke down while I was on it for about five minutes, and then was closed later in the evening. Pirates didnt close but it got really backed up at the end and we had to wait like 20 minutes to get off.

Didn't notice any issues with Big Thunder, Philair Magic, Monsters Inc (rode twice), Space Mountain, TTA, Buzz Lightyear, Stitch or Haunted Mansion. Tiki Room worked fine too, Jungle Cruise as well although I dont think there's very many actual effects there.

At EPCOT, wonders of life was closed (is this permanent?). Ellen's Energy Adventure I dont think had many dinosaurs moving or anything, but I'm not sure as it was my first time riding. No issues with Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, Test Track, Innoventions, Seas with Nemo, Soarin, Living with Land, Circle of Life, JTI with Figment, Honey I shrunk or Turtle Talk. Only did Malestrom, Gran Fiesta and O Canada in WS and no problems there.

DHS: Only thing I remember was the mist screens at Fantasmic weren't the greatest and the first ten or so rows got soaked. Most of those rows were empty though as it was the later show. No problems with Muppets, Star Tours, Indy, Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour, ToT or Rock n Roller. Toy Story and Narnia werent open. AFI was closed and I missed Lights Motors, Mermaid and Great Movie Ride

As I mentioned EE at AK the Yeti was working but I dont think the mountain mist was. I think I was there when the "VIP" was there if I remember reading properly. Dinosaur I didnt notice anything overly out of place. The ride was really bumpy though. (In all honesty, that ride and Men In Black at Universal were the only rides that triggered any motion sickness). The Safari ride was missing out on lots of animals but that cant be controlled. River Rapids seemed to work but it sucked lol. No issues with nemo, Lion King, DinolandUSA, or Tough to be a Bug (although the latter I remember I had to ride twice in DCA because everyone else felt the bee sting and I didnt lol).

In comparison at Universal IOA, lots of the dinos on Jurassic Park didnt work properly & Poseidon's Fury the ending battle seemed mis-timed with the pyro. At Universal, no mist from Donkey on Shrek, Terminator seemed to have a TON of things missing. No movies on the side screens. Some of the live acting was unsynced. Seats didnt jolt back. MIB I was too busy trying not to get sick but I remember a few things that seemed weird. Also Jaws the shark didnt seem to work properly. No issues with Disaster (surprisingly), Jimmy Neutron, the Mummy, Twister, Simpsons or any of the other shows. My brother said ET didnt say their names when they went on.

AndyMagic

Ummmm....sorry to say, but actually every ride (Save for maybe RNR) has broken and missing effects near everytime I ride. Tower included!

TOWER EFFECTS WATCH

As of my last time...

-Mist in queue:NOT WORKING

-Fog in Boiler Room:OFF

-Sparks on Sign:OFF

-Door Movement: NOT WORKING

-Camera Eye: OFF

Every ride is just like EE. Each one has broken effects from time to time. Why we still have a watch thread for Everest, is beyond me. I think the effect status of Dinosaur is more interesting right now. Cause none of them work, and that ride is WAYYYY more important for effects!

DINOSAUR has a zillion effects so if one is broken, people won't notice as much. Everest is a coaster with 4 simple effects and one very complex one so what IS there seems more important. As for Tower:

Mist in Queue: there are times when they purposely turn that off.
Fog in Boiler Room: I've ridden TOT 300 times in my life and I have never even seen this before.
Camera Eye: That's a whole other issue and there are many threads that have talked about this effect in the past.

And the reason we have an effects watch for Everest is because it is new and thus, its simple effects shouldn't already be broken. A 20 year-old ride with missing effects we can excuse a little more easily (although I still find that unacceptable)

EpcotServo

And the reason we have an effects watch for Everest is because it is new and thus, its simple effects shouldn't already be broken. A 20 year-old ride with missing effects we can excuse a little more easily (although I still find that unacceptable)

Hmmmm...maybe I just don't see it as "new" as other people because It seems to me like January of 06' was forever ago...

Nyeahh....I wish they'd be treat the minor effects as more important, but they don't...
:(

And effects don't work like that. Just because it's "new" doesn't mean it won't break. They're just as prone to problems as any ride. And just because they're simple, doesn't mean they are. Let's look at them...

-WATERFALLS and BIRD
Everest has a really neat weather monitoring system, that automatically shuts off the Bird and the Waterfalls if the wind gets to a certain limit. Add in malfuncations and such, and sometimes they end up being off for a few days. Now why Waterfall B has been down forever is beyond me. Perhaps they've had a problem with the advanced piping system or something like that. I really wish they'd get on that. At least Waterall A is usually working.

-MIST ON TOP OF MOUNTAIN
That's a new one. The effect was installed from the begining, but they didn't like how it looked, so they kept it off. They've added a new version of it, and it looks great. I hope they keep it working!

-TUNNEL MIST
Gone. Never coming back! They've cut the water lines to them. Now the myth is that it "affected the track switch sensors". That's not true. The real reason is that they were rusting the old "Tab Arm" metal faster than WDI thought they would. It presented no danger, but they went on the safe side and removed it.

-SHADOW OF THE YETI
Should always work. If you see it, they should've shut the ride down and they didn't want too.
:hammer:

-YETI
Highly advanced, and will always be prone to problems.

-STEAM
It's a very amazing boiler system (TONS of safety systems) and is being checked and rechecked all the time.

As is always with Expedition Everest, everything is slightly more complicated than they look.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
July 5th-19th

The Yeti is a real pain. Still in B Mode. Amazing or not (I tend to err on the latter) it should be made not to have so many issues. The unload CM I chatted to agreed. How much R&D and field testing was done to it? Can you tell I`ve never seen A Mode?? Grrr...

Bird? no. Front waterfall? yes. Load steam? Yes.

LudwigVonDrake

July 11 - 18: The only thing I'll add is that at least this time I heard the bird. Last year (July 8 - 15, 2007) when I rode it, the Yeti was working fine but there was no bird sound. Go figure. I had a kid behind me who acted surprised when told the Yeti was in the ride. That cave is awfully dark and if you're not looking for him you won't see him.

Also a lot of time this year the train was not synched to the animation of the Yeti so he'd rip up the track and jump and we'd still be sitting there for about 10 seconds.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
July 5th-19th

The Yeti is a real pain. Still in B Mode. Amazing or not (I tend to err on the latter) it should be made not to have so many issues. The unload CM I chatted to agreed. How much R&D and field testing was done to it? Can you tell I`ve never seen A Mode?? Grrr...

Bird? no. Front waterfall? yes. Load steam? Yes.

Agreed, it really isnt good enough for a signature attraction. It seems that management on EE now seem to think that having a coaster is enough, none of the show effects are needed :(. It really now is at the point that it is far more likely to be not working than working.

dxwwf3

Agreed, it really isnt good enough for a signature attraction. It seems that management on EE now seem to think that having a coaster is enough, none of the show effects are needed :(. It really now is at the point that it is far more likely to be not working than working.

Very true. I am glad there is a B show, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse not to get the AA working ASAP.

JML42691

I just don't understand how the Yeti can be in B for so long, I can understand a loose cable or missing bolt causing it to be in B for a day maybe, but anything beyond that should be a one-time thing. These problems should have been worked out in the design. At least they were thinking enough to have the B.

magnyseb

Honestly, It's great! I hadn't read anything (and almost haven't) not to be disappointed by any comments. If you read, you don't have the surprise effect and see things most people don't.
I don't know what the effects are supposed to be, but I had a lot of fun, I rode it 4 or five times today.

Peabody

FYI...I went to DAK the other day and casually asked the single rider guy (who looked bored) if the yeti was working. Much to my surprise (that he would offer a stranger/guest such info) he said that it had been brken for a while because they discovered he cracked his foundation and have to repair it. Not that I expected him to know but I asked him if he knew when it might be up again and he said no.

EpcotServo

FYI...I went to DAK the other day and casually asked the single rider guy (who looked bored) if the yeti was working. Much to my surprise (that he would offer a stranger/guest such info) he said that it had been brken for a while because they discovered he cracked his foundation and have to repair it. Not that I expected him to know but I asked him if he knew when it might be up again and he said no.

See, It's stuff like that that happens all the time. WDI just tries their best to fix any problems beforehand.

Some problems just don't come up until years later.

kc1296426

As of July 31st:

*Yeti in B mode
*Tunnel Mist off
*Mountain mist off
*Steam in loading station on, but barely working, only little bits of steam come out
*Waterfall A working
*Waterfall B not working
*Bird AA off but sound clip plays

Bad show, bad show indeed... they are running 5 trains almost everyday in July-August now, and the stacking inside the mountain has become worse. The longest I've stayed inside the Yeti projection room is now 1 minute and 40 seconds, I counted lol.

EpcotServo

Bad show, bad show indeed... they are running 5 trains almost everyday in July-August now, and the stacking inside the mountain has become worse. The longest I've stayed inside the Yeti projection room is now 1 minute and 40 seconds, I counted lol.

Gah! I hate that they blew good repair money on a system that screws up the ride.
:mad:

Actually there are only 4 trains running. The fifth train is in for rehab until the holiday season, and the yeti may not be back until December. They are currently testing an alternate show to replace the yeti while he's down.

EpcotServo

Actually there are only 4 trains running. The fifth train is in for rehab until the holiday season, and the yeti may not be back until December. They are currently testing an alternate show to replace the yeti while he's down.
O rly?

That's interesting. Thanks for the real information.
:wave:

MaxsDad

Rode once during EMH at night last week, and once in the morning. Both times the Yeti had the strobe going.

I had never seen it this way before. I had a first timer with me. I was let down to say the least. But the first timer still said E:E and Soarin' were his 1 and 2. That says a lot about the overall quality of the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom