epcot wand....

JDM

Because it wasn't there in the 80's.

That's the only real reason, regardless of how it's justified.

AMEN!!
Couldn't have put it better myself!
"Different" is bad to many of the park "owners" on these boards....

All in all....just not worth getting upset about....

colleen2997

The hat is a bright image that is visually stimulating upon entering DHS. The majority of visitors to Disney are not diehard Disney nuts like us. The majority of visitors aren't thinking, "well it doesn't go with the theming..." Bottom line, they are in Disney and it goes with the Disney. It definitely gives the park that extra "something". Disney had to add some pazzazz (for lack of better word). I think the park would look drab without it since the Chinese Theater doesn't exactly pop out at you.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I don't remember there being a lot of dislike at the beginning. It was something special that was added for the millennium celebration (even if the whole country missed it by a year...:rolleyes:). It held the nice 2000 and was an interesting touch.

The real problem began to fester well after 2000, when it was changed just to Epcot script that the overstay of the "temporary" add-on really started complaining from the masses....

Then there are the many visitors that never thought about it, and don't realize that it was once there or is now gone....:eek:

gettingsmaller

Could be for nostalgic reasons, but I like it better without the wand. I am not architecture pro, but... just imagine that someone adds a bunch of balloons everywhere to Franklin Lloyd Wright's "Waterfall" (or whatever the name of that house is). It would be taking a "perfect" situation and making it worse by adding to it.

In my non-expert opinion, SE was/is beautiful in its simplicity. That simplicity was 'spoiled' by the wand. I wasn't so much a "hater", but, given the choice, I'd choose no wand.

Legacy

that is a bit broad

i might be in a club of my own here, but i wasnt a fan of it in the millenium phase.

as far as the argument about if it had been there in 1982, we would all embrase it etc etc.... im not so certain, mickey's ginormous hand doesnt and never did fit Epcot. not in 1999 or in 1982

but, the is of course MHO :wave:

It doesn't "fit" Epcot because of what you had experienced prior to it being there. If it had been there from the very beginning it WOULD have fit Epcot. It can be argued that a haunted house doesn't really "fit" a park of whimsical fantasy that allows adults to be kids again... but because it has been there so long no body questions it.

That is the principle behind my statement. It isn't about personal opinion, and it's intentionally broad because it applies to a broad sub-section of the population. The only time people will not fear change is when the pain of no change is greater than the fear change. That is where my statement was coming from.

People didn't like it simply because it was different. The reasons are just justifications. The same applies to the cake and the golden statues.

Legacy

Ask any average guest...They wondered why it was there.

How does a huge Mickey Hand look futuristic anyway?How does it appear to look normal next to a huge Geodesic Spaceship?I honestly want to know.:wave:

I really doubt the average guest walked around all day wondering why Mickey's hand was sticking out of the ground. I didn't even walk around all day wondering about it.

Average guests don't care.

EPCOT Explorer

Start the clock... I'm jumping back into this this afternoon...

It's too late...Obviouldy there WAS something wrong with it being in the park besides fanboy logic because Disney wasn't loosing guests over it and it WAS removed.There's no use arguing the point.

I really doubt the average guest walked around all day wondering why Mickey's hand was sticking out of the ground. I didn't even walk around all day wondering about it.

Average guests don't care.

Not really...A guest that comes every few years and isn't "obsessed will know when something is different.No matter who I was with for the years after 2000,everyone would remark to me why the thing was still there"2000 is over" everyone said.

wannab@dis

fanboy logic
:lookaroun Not so sure that exists.

:zipit:

Not really...A guest that comes every few years and isn't "obsessed will know when something is different.No matter who I was with for the years after 2000,everyone would remark to me why the thing was still there"2000 is over" everyone said.
As many times as I've been in Epcot... I'd never heard a single person say anything about the wand, until it had been removed. Last December, I heard someone over in WS say how they liked SSE better at night WITH the wand... they missed it simply because it looked nice in their pictures. (They were standing at the railing looking across towards SSE.)

So, even with that single instance, for me it seems the wand was just not that important... before OR after it was removed. For all the bluster of a FEW around here, the wand was just not an issue at the park for the average guest.

wannab@dis

If you say so...It's honestly something that can't be proven.I have my peeps that said something,you have yours.

And Fanboy Logic DOES exist.:)
First.. they weren't my "peeps." Didn't know them, didn't talk to them.

Second, logic usually entails VALID reasoning. Not sure there's much validity to "fanboy logic." :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

That's what I meant.People that you overheard or knew.
:rolleyes:

We do have our logical moments,yes.Sometimes the logic of a "businessman" pales in comparison to the logic of one fueled and nurtured by a passion. and a love.(in this case,EPCOT Center)
;)

Legacy

No matter who I was with for the years after 2000,everyone would remark to me why the thing was still there"2000 is over" everyone said.
What about the people you weren't with?

If you are going with people who have been before, they have a preconcieved notion about the park. I bet if you had gone with someone who had never been before, or more importantly, observed someone outside of your circle, you may be surprised at how little people cared.

You say that because the wand is gone, it was a bad thing.

Well, I say that because Horizons is gone, it was a terrible attraction.

That's your logic.

wannab@dis

That's what I meant.People that you overheard or knew.
:rolleyes:

We do have our logical moments,yes.Sometimes the logic of a "businessman" pales in comparison to the logic of one fueled and nurtured by a passion. and a love.(in this case,EPCOT Center)
;)
EPCOT Center no longer exists...

fueled and nurtured by passion and love? hilarious -- here I thought we were discussing a theme park. :lol:

wannab@dis

I have a love and interest for a venue of entertainment,why can't you understand that?!?

It's the same as a love of music or art...Sheesh!

Perfect!

So, everyone that goes to an Art show that likes an exhibit that you don't means they were wrong? It's totally subjective and opinionated. Most artist do their work whether someone likes it or not. They are selling to the people that like it... not the masses. An artist that sells to the masses creates something that the general consumer would buy. Most art critics completely HATE those types of artists.

Theme parks are NOT works of art. They are there to be enjoyed by the largest percentage of consumers that's possible. Hence, EPCOT Center is dead!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom