epcot wand....

Mr.EPCOT

Because it wasn't there in the 80's.

That's the only real reason, regardless of how it's justified.

That's a rather unfair (and eminently untrue) statement. I'm sure most people who disliked the wand on a permanent basis just want to see the park live up to its infinite potential.

TrojanUSC

Enough discussion about the wand! Let's move onto the topic that really matters now...the removal of the ridiculous and inane hat at the Studios.

jennc2001

Original Poster
ok....now....what is wrong with the hat?? :) (i'm serious...lol)
obviously, i've just become a disney fan in the past couple years so i'm not on the level as everyone else is :) so, why is the hat disliked??

TrojanUSC

The whole theme of the Studios is the "Hollywood that never was and always will be." The Chinese theater was an amazing, life-size recreation of one of the most famous landmarks in the United States. It made you feel like you were actually stepping into Hollywood. It worked perfectly as both an icon for the park (along with the water tower) and a "weenie," as Walt called it, to draw people into the Studios.

However, now you take this great icon and plop a hat down right in front of an already large icon for no apparent reason -- it just makes it look cluttered and completely ruins the theme. What was once a grand and majestic recreation of a Hollywood landmark is now blocked by a huge hat. It is no different than if you were to take a giant glass slipper or a big pair of mouse ears and place them right in front of Cinderella Castle -- completely obstructing the view of the Castle.

Also, I know some Disney nerd is going to trot out the urban legend that Disney had to stop using it as an icon for legal reasons or they plan to remove The Great Movie Ride in the near future. Neither of these are the case at all.

jtwyatt

ok....now....what is wrong with the hat?? :) (i'm serious...lol)
obviously, i've just become a disney fan in the past couple years so i'm not on the level as everyone else is :) so, why is the hat disliked??

IMO, It a waste of space...The only purpose it serves, is a Pin Shop. I always identified the Studios with the replica of the Manns Chinese Theatre. The Hat is Forced a Tacky attempt a creating a new Icon.

i've seen a bunch of people on here "hating" on the epcot wand...why did everyone dislike it so much?????

Noooooo, not again! :brick:

Aww I missed the wand threads =)

Its only been like a year! :shrug:

Enough discussion about the wand! Let's move onto the topic that really matters now...the removal of the ridiculous and inane hat at the Studios.

Not this again! The hats not going anywhere. The wand was temporary, and just outlived its live expectancy. The hat was meant to be forever!

TrojanUSC

Noooooo, not again! :brick:

Not this again! The hats not going anywhere. The wand was temporary, and just outlived its live expectancy. The hat was meant to be forever!

Totally wrong. Tom Wolber, who was the VP of the Studios at the time, told me the hat was built to remain for somewhere between 6-12 years.

devoy1701

Random strange question.....were the hat and the wand in scale with each other???? i mean, if wdw built a Mickey that needed a hat that size, would Mickey also hold that particular wand?

because if they were that would be cool

now we just needed oversized pieces of Sorcerer Mickey in the other two parks and we've had the world's largest Jigsaw Puzzle...:sohappy:

Legacy

That's a rather unfair (and eminently untrue) statement. I'm sure most people who disliked the wand on a permanent basis just want to see the park live up to its infinite potential.

No, it's not.

The biggest argument against the wand was, "It looked better without." If Disney fans had never known the ball without the wand, most people would have wanted it to stay.

Also, the argument that, "It looked great during the millenium," discredits the following, "It looked like poo from 2002 on." Changing what the wand says doesn't change the fact that the wand is there.

Mr.EPCOT

No, it's not.

The biggest argument against the wand was, "It looked better without." If Disney fans had never known the ball without the wand, most people would have wanted it to stay.

Also, the argument that, "It looked great during the millenium," discredits the following, "It looked like poo from 2002 on." Changing what the wand says doesn't change the fact that the wand is there.

I'm no expert on architecture, but I seem to remember in the endless debates on this forum several valid arguments against the wand made by people who are experts on such things. As for keeping it up past the Millennium Celebration, I think we can all agree that a Christmas tree is great during the holiday season, but once you get to March and it's still up, it's kind of overstayed its welcome.

EPCOT.nut

However, now you take this great icon and plop a hat down right in front of an already large icon for no apparent reason -- it just makes it look cluttered and completely ruins the theme.

I dunno.......it's kinda like the Wizard of Oz........there was this big tornado that whisked this big hat out of the sky and dropped it right in the middle of WDW.

That's what it looks like to me....a randomly placed sculpture. They could have dedicated some spacious area for it...maybe themed an outdoor restaurant around it.

Legacy

I'm no expert on architecture, but I seem to remember in the endless debates on this forum several valid arguments against the wand made by people who are experts on such things. As for keeping it up past the Millennium Celebration, I think we can all agree that a Christmas tree is great during the holiday season, but once you get to March and it's still up, it's kind of overstayed its welcome.

I'm not arguing the architectural aspects of the wand. I'm not an expert on it, and will not claim to be. From a social standpoint however, people generally do not accept change easily. That is my argument. If all people knew was the ball with the wand, then people would feel that the ball now feels empty. People don't like the hat because it's different. If the hat had been there from beginning, no one would care. It would just be accepted.

As far as the tree argument goes... I can take ornaments off a tree and leave the tree up. I'm not removing the tree, I'm just changing what's on it.

Fido

I started going to Epcot long before the wand appeared, but I kinda liked it. It was sparkly in the sun, and also looked cool after dark.

jennc2001

Original Poster
wow....i didn't know i would get such a heated conversation going by just asking a question :lol: it's interesting though!! LOL

BrennaRN

I myself also hated the wand on Spaceship earth. It wasn't really flowing in my opinion. It just didn't belong there. I was estatic to get back this year and see that it's gone!

Disneykidder

When we were there in August, it was in the process of coming down. We have some great shots of scaffolds...hehe. It will be nice to see it as it originally started.

EPCOT.nut

wow....i didn't know i would get such a heated conversation going by just asking a question :lol: it's interesting though!! LOL

You haven't been on the forums long enough to know better so we are going to cut you some slack....this time....:lookaroun

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom