epcot wand....

Timmay

You're correct. But we should never forget one simple thing. Vision, imagination and creativity all need one item to come to fruition... money. This is a point that I've tried to make over and over and over. Having the parks accepted by the largest percentage of consumers will create larger revenues which will be available for expanded vision, imagination and creativity.

Build something that is not accepted by the consumer, and the coffers dry up quickly.

And in return, those of us that believe this are called "management apologists" and are told we think that “Disney can do no wrong.” Nothing could be further from the truth. Most of us have several things we don’t like in WDW and see many areas for improvement…we just don’t stand on our soapboxes day in and day out trying to make the masses think we know far better than Disney what is best for everyone. The responses like I mentioned above are nothing more than ad hominem attacks and an appeal to ridicule.

The fact is, and some people will simply turn their nose up to this, the management at Disney does know better than us. They are the ones that see the surveys, the statistics and hundreds of other kinds of data. The rest that think they know better are just projecting what they think will be better, usually meaning what they like. (I had a boss that used to say "Those that can, do. Those that can't ususally spend their time finding fault with the ones that can") The people that can’t accept this are the ones, I believe, that haven’t had the experience to know decisions are not made in a vacuum or by throwing darts at a map. It is nothing personal, and I sure don’t hold any contempt for people that think that way, I just believe us “Disney can do no wrong”ers are more objective in our logic.

Legacy

I'll be honest.

When I first joined this site, I was a fanboy. Poor and simple. Disney was dying and it was all Eisner's fault.

Then I did something amazing.

I stopped going to Disney.

I used to go every month. After I joined the Army, I would be lucky if I could go once a year. When I did go, I realized that I enjoyed it a lot more than I ever had when I was going all the time. It was because I realized that it's just a place. It wasn't some physical realization of all my childhood dreams. It's just a themepark that is run like a business the same way Walmart is run like a store.

I stopped criticizing what was there and just started enjoying it.

Once reality kicks in... Disney because a lot less important.

tirian

You're correct. But we should never forget one simple thing. Vision, imagination and creativity all need one item to come to fruition... money. This is a point that I've tried to make over and over and over. Having the parks accepted by the largest percentage of consumers will create larger revenues which will be available for expanded vision, imagination and creativity.

Build something that is not accepted by the consumer, and the coffers dry up quickly.

Oh, I haven't forgotten about the money. Every project must have a budget, and it's the balance that's incredibly tricky. Fear of creative risks cripples vision, and the outcome usually fails to succeed because the process itself was stunted. Let's look at what short-sighted planning gave us: the "New" (since the early 90s!) Tiki Room, a grossly botched Imagination pavilion, and a "temporary" wand that (all other concerns aside) looked abnormally cheap for a Disney park.

On the other hand, somebody who ignores the practical side of creative projects—money to complete them—will drift off into La La Land without ever seeing the vision completed.

That's why a successful visionary looks at what the public expects, then goes beyond that expectation and delivers something extraordinary—and budgets are always involved.

Walt and Roy Disney were geniuses because they were able to balance the two aspects of creative vision without sabotaging themselves. Walt scrapped a year's worth of animation on Pinocchio because he knew the long-term payoff of getting animation accepted as "Art" was more important than the initial expense involved. But Walt also didn't complete the interior of the Matterhorn because the attraction had to contend with real-world costs.

EDIT: The hospitality industry is a business. Disney created this problem for themselves by constructing highly themed environments that taught consumers to expect the unexpected. When recent management failed to understand what makes Disney "click," they assumed it was all about pixie dust, and approved very mediocre business strategies. That disappointing era seems to have ended, but Disney now has to invest millions into refurbishments and projects that should have been completed in past years.

The silly thing about online discussion is that fanboys rant about their personal dissatisfaction while apologists defend everything. If Disneyland opened today, we'd see threads lamenting how Walt lost his creative genius because he approved Fantasyland dark rides that didn't feature fully functioning Animatronics! :rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

I'll be honest.

When I first joined this site, I was a fanboy. Poor and simple. Disney was dying and it was all Eisner's fault.

Then I did something amazing.

I stopped going to Disney.

I used to go every month. After I joined the Army, I would be lucky if I could go once a year. When I did go, I realized that I enjoyed it a lot more than I ever had when I was going all the time. It was because I realized that it's just a place. It wasn't some physical realization of all my childhood dreams. It's just a themepark that is run like a business the same way Walmart is run like a store.

I stopped criticizing what was there and just started enjoying it.

Once reality kicks in... Disney because a lot less important.

I know there are bigger things...I just like talking about this.PLEASE don't make the assumption that this is what I live for.Sure,its a very avid hobby but it's not the world.

EPCOT Explorer

Thank goodness...I had the sudden mental image of you thinking of me to be some wierd kid holed up in a bunker chanting "must save EPCOT".:ROFLOL:
:lookaroun

Thanks!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom