epcot wand....

maybe I should have studied art but I cant quite get the logic,

Wand and hand on sphere = bad/tacky

Big plastic tree with carvings= good

fibre glass fairy book castle = good

Fan boy purism plain and simple

I guess studying art could help, but I'm no art critic and can figure out why the wand and hand are tacky, whereas the castle and tree are perfect.

Ultimately the fact that the tree and the castle are plastic and fibre glass only makes the illusion all the more remarkable. It's because they are designed to fit in so well to the overall concept of each park and look so fantastic that it makes one forget they're "not real". They're magical.

The hat and wand on the other hand feel more like branding gone wrong. But you're right- I'm just a fan boy purist so what do I know? :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I guess studying art could help, but I'm no art critic and can figure out why the wand and hand are tacky, whereas the castle and tree are perfect.

Ultimately the fact that the tree and the castle are plastic and fibre glass only makes the illusion all the more remarkable. It's because they are designed to fit in so well to the overall concept of each park and look so fantastic that it makes one forget they're "not real". They're magical.

The hat and wand on the other hand feel more like branding gone wrong. But you're right- I'm just a fan boy purist so what do I know? :shrug:

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thanks.;)

wannab@dis

ok....now....what is wrong with the hat?? :) (i'm serious...lol)
obviously, i've just become a disney fan in the past couple years so i'm not on the level as everyone else is :) so, why is the hat disliked??

How long you've been a fan has nothing to do with it. You'll soon learn who the purists are around here and how they HATE anything that doesn't meet THEIR viewpoints or wasn't around 20 years ago.

Make up your own mind and if you like the hat or the wand, that's fine! Nothing wrong at all.

wannab@dis

So what you are saying overdone and gaudy is good if it fits the theme? What about the recently removed castle baubles, they fitted the theme and were still hellish?

Sorry but the average punter neither knows nor cares what the Epcot vision is, was or meant to be, they want attracions and cared not a jot for the loss of the so called artistic merits much discussed and wept over on pages like this caused by the wand and the tombstones.

I couldnt give a fig either way but then again to me Epcot is a theme park, not an unrealised unrealistic vision of a new type of town. :shrug:

:sohappy: Surely we shouldn't care what the average guests think!

(But, be careful, you'll bring down the ire of the EpcotBoyz clan.)

EPCOT Explorer

Ask any average guest...They wondered why it was there.

How does a huge Mickey Hand look futuristic anyway?How does it appear to look normal next to a huge Geodesic Spaceship?I honestly want to know.:wave:

krankenstein

I neither liked nor disliked the wand. My only problem was that it dwarfed the size of Spaceship Earth. The sphere seems much more grandiose without the wand.

Now, that Hat is a different matter. The Hat absolutely ruins the story of DHS. When you originally walked into DHS you saw the theater at the end of Hollywood Blvd. That set the tone, you were transported to Hollywood. Sunset and Hollywood Blvd are meant to represent the Hollywood that never was but always will be. Than you either walked past a guard shack or under the arch to enter the backlot/production facilities of the actual studio. The BAH totally ruins this theme and is very out place in my opinion. If it was moved to animation courtyard or some place in the backlot/production facility I wouldn't have a problem, but it has nothing to do with the theming of Hollywood Blvd or Sunset in my opinion.

Fun2BFree

Do we even want to get people started on the year the castle was decorated like a giant cake? :drevil:

The Wand was a fun and fresh change as a temporary addition, as was the Castle Cake. The difference was that the Cake left when the 25th Anniversary celebrations ended. I have fond memories of the Cake, tacky or not. :shrug:

jennc2001

Original Poster
How long you've been a fan has nothing to do with it. You'll soon learn who the purists are around here and how they HATE anything that doesn't meet THEIR viewpoints or wasn't around 20 years ago.

Make up your own mind and if you like the hat or the wand, that's fine! Nothing wrong at all.

i personally don't care either way....i still have fun at disney regardless of the gaudy things that are there! i actually thought the wand was nice....but, without it, spaceship earth is great as well. now, the hat, i really don't get it...but, i dont mind it either!!!
(one day i'll get all the abbreviating lingo down...deal with me for now LOL)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom