epcot wand....

Elonwy

Ok...thought I'd throw my hat into the opinion ring :lookaroun

The wand I disliked but I can't say I hated it...I was a little closer to being ambivilant about it but was pleased when I found they were taking it down because I think Spaceship Earth is a piece of archictecture that should be marveled and it's hard to appreciate the beautiful design when it's decorated with such "flash"

Now the hat I hate and here's why...

My memories of the Studios were similar to that of Magic Kingdom (maybe not quite as magical but let me take you there...)

You used to be able to enter the Studios and you had the immediate feeling that you were being transported to a place of movie magic because in the distance as you enter the park was a beautiful, historic and familiar site to anyone who loves films, both classic and recent. The Chinese Theatre drew in with it's subtle, seamless fit into the surroundings of the palm trees and old Hollywood street atmosphere. It was similar to walking down Main Street USA and seeing Cinderella's castle. You knew you were in a fantasy land without being slapped in the face by it.

Now imagine if they decided to put a giant hippo in a tutu between the Partners statue and the castle so you couldn't even see it as you entered the park. THAT is why I hate the hat.

Hrudey3032

You haven't been on the forums long enough to know better so we are going to cut you some slack....this time....:lookaroun

:lol:
Did you not read the rules of this board when joining???

1.No language of any kind
2.No threats to any other poster
3.No attacking of the administrator or owner

and most important

4.No talking about the wand!! :lookaroun

j/k welcome to the boards and your first wand thread :wave:

EPCOT.nut

Did you not read the rules of this board when joining???

1.No language of any kind
2.No threats to any other poster
3.No attacking of the administrator or owner

and most important

4.No talking about the wand!! :lookaroun

j/k welcome to the boards and your first wand thread :wave:

YES there needs to be a WAND THREAD STICKIE. :drevil:

:lol:

From an artistic point of view, I must concur that both the wand and the hat are (at best) extremely TACKY. They both take away from the overall individualistic feel that the parks are so great at achieving.

It's unfortunate that Disney forced this sort of branding on its parks when the best branding they have going for them (and one of the reasons I love Disney) is their subtle attention to detail, the pure beauty and originality that the parks were designed with. The wand and the hat just get in the way. They're actively working against the very thing that makes Disney so special. They're practically screaming at you, desperately attempting to inject something new into the parks in a completely unnecessary way.

Now that the wand is thankfully gone, we can only hope that the hat will be next.

And I pray they don't bring this sorta branding into AK. That would be really painful.

CThaddeus

And I pray they don't bring this sorta branding into AK. That would be really painful.

Ooo, I guess you haven't heard, then:

We at Disney's Animal Kingdom are always looking for new ways to "plus" our existing attractions. With that in mind our Imagineers have been hard at work creating a very special sculpture to help celebrate our extended Year of a Million Dreams. For the first time guests will be able to see and touch Mickey's iconic red shorts. Standing at almost 200 feet tall, these famous red shorts with the charming yellow buttons will stand proudly in front of Disney's Tree of Life. Below each pantleg guests can buy and trade pins, as well as use the high-octane touch screens to determine which Disney pin they're most like. And, when the Sun sets, Mickey's Shorts will help cast a new glow on Disney's Animal Kingdom. Using state-of-the-art fiber optic technology, Mickey's Shorts will "come alive" for the new show Mickey's Shorts on Mickey's Shorts. Some of Mickey's greatest hits will be re-enacted via fiber optics and will be visible at almost every point in the Park. We think this is a wonderful way to celebrate the legacy of Mickey while honoring our continued commitment to conservation.

Sounds like a winner to me...

We at Disney's Animal Kingdom are always looking for new ways to "plus" our existing attractions. With that in mind our Imagineers have been hard at work creating a very special sculpture to help celebrate our extended Year of a Million Dreams. For the first time guests will be able to see and touch Mickey's iconic red shorts. Standing at almost 200 feet tall, these famous red shorts with the charming yellow buttons will stand proudly in front of Disney's Tree of Life. Below each pantleg guests can buy and trade pins, as well as use the high-octane touch screens to determine which Disney pin they're most like. And, when the Sun sets, Mickey's Shorts will help cast a new glow on Disney's Animal Kingdom. Using state-of-the-art fiber optic technology, Mickey's Shorts will "come alive" for the new show Mickey's Shorts on Mickey's Shorts. Some of Mickey's greatest hits will be re-enacted via fiber optics and will be visible at almost every point in the Park. We think this is a wonderful way to celebrate the legacy of Mickey while honoring our continued commitment to conservation.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
maybe I should have studied art but I cant quite get the logic,

Wand and hand on sphere = bad/tacky

Big plastic tree with carvings= good

fibre glass fairy book castle = good

Fan boy purism plain and simple

Disney05

I didn't hate it. It was a novelty for a bit. The last time I saw it without the wand was in 1992. Going back this October. Can't wait to see it. Saw it last year just before they started to dismantle it.

:lol::ROFLOL::lol:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Because it wasn't there in the 80's.

That's the only real reason, regardless of how it's justified.
that is a bit broad

No, it's not.

The biggest argument against the wand was, "It looked better without." If Disney fans had never known the ball without the wand, most people would have wanted it to stay.

Also, the argument that, "It looked great during the millenium," discredits the following, "It looked like poo from 2002 on." Changing what the wand says doesn't change the fact that the wand is there.
i might be in a club of my own here, but i wasnt a fan of it in the millenium phase.

as far as the argument about if it had been there in 1982, we would all embrase it etc etc.... im not so certain, mickey's ginormous hand doesnt and never did fit Epcot. not in 1999 or in 1982

but, the is of course MHO :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

maybe I should have studied art but I cant quite get the logic,

Wand and hand on sphere = bad/tackyBad because it donsn't fit in with the "Future/World Community theme

Big plastic tree with carvings= goodGood becasue it firs theme

fibre glass fairy book castle = goodGood becasue it firs theme
Fan boy purism plain and simple

See?The Millennium wand was only good for that reason...It fit the theme.Anything after that was just overdone and gaudy/unnecessary.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
See?The Millennium wand was only good for that reason...It fit the theme.Anything after that was just overdone and gaudy/unnecessary.

So what you are saying overdone and gaudy is good if it fits the theme? What about the recently removed castle baubles, they fitted the theme and were still hellish?

Sorry but the average punter neither knows nor cares what the Epcot vision is, was or meant to be, they want attracions and cared not a jot for the loss of the so called artistic merits much discussed and wept over on pages like this caused by the wand and the tombstones.

I couldnt give a fig either way but then again to me Epcot is a theme park, not an unrealised unrealistic vision of a new type of town. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

So what you are saying overdone and gaudy is good if it fits the theme? What about the recently removed castle baubles, they fitted the theme and were still hellish?

Sorry but the average punter neither knows nor cares what the Epcot vision is, was or meant to be, they want attracions and cared not a jot for the loss of the so called artistic merits much discussed and wept over on pages like this caused by the wand and the tombstones.

I couldnt give a fig either way but then again to me Epcot is a theme park, not an unrealised unrealistic vision of a new type of town. :shrug:

Why does it always have to be EPCOT?:rolleyes:

As for the castle,I didn't mind them...It was good for a one year party,so why did everyone freak?

farmgirl

Hi all...I may be one of the few but I truly loved the wand. I miss it actually. I thought it was nice. My husband don't even agree with me but i really really liked it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom