epcot wand....

EPCOT Explorer

What about the people you weren't with?

If you are going with people who have been before, they have a preconcieved notion about the park. I bet if you had gone with someone who had never been before, or more importantly, observed someone outside of your circle, you may be surprised at how little people cared.

You say that because the wand is gone, it was a bad thing.

Well, I say that because Horizons is gone, it was a terrible attraction.

That's your logic.

I went on a band trip in 2006...Being the EPCOT fan of the group quite a few people asked me what the Wand was supposed to be.When I explained that it was left over from 2000 and was basically just a big sign,(I tried to do this as unbiased as I could-I wanted to see reactions)most thought the whole premise was silly...Another member of my group actually commented that leaving it up took away from the architecture of the sphere-which is also true.

And I think that the Wand being gone is a GREAT thing BTW...And sadly,Horizons is gone because it was a horrible attraction...At the end of it's life.It was outdated and old so it was replaced.Yeah,I miss it but it's the past.

We go on...

Legacy

I have a love and interest for a venue of entertainment,why can't you understand that?!?

It's the same as a love of music or art...Sheesh!

Love is an abstract term that is entirely subjective.

What and who I love can be completely inconsequencial to the rest of society (and it is). Though there is a logical argument that can be presented, using passion to fuel that argument is ineffective. Passion cannot BE argued; only accepted. Todd and I accept your passion, but not your logic because, in our minds, there is no logic.

EPCOT Explorer

Perfect!

So, everyone that goes to an Art show that likes an exhibit that you don't means they were wrong? It's totally subjective and opinionated. Most artist do their work whether someone likes it or not. They are selling to the people that like it... not the masses. An artist that sells to the masses creates something that the general consumer would buy. Most art critics completely HATE those types of artists.

Theme parks are NOT works of art. They are there to be enjoyed by the largest percentage of consumers that's possible. Hence, EPCOT Center is dead!

What?

I think that the way the Immagineers create theme parks is an art...And if people like a exhibit(in this case a attraction) that I don't like,it doesn't mean they are wrong...My opinion just differs.Thy same with the current EPCOT...I don't like the current style as much as the old one.

And yes,EPCOT Center is dead.I just like to use the term.:eek::D

Legacy

When I explained that it was left over from 2000...

With that statement, you put their perception of the wand in a biased frame of reference.

If you had just stated that was just an example of Disney Magic, (which... if I remember correctly it WAS for many of the posters here during the millinium celebration) then chances are good that they would have shrugged and went on with it.

The original Imagination was a terrible attraction.
World of Motion was a terrible attraction.
Pirates of the Caribbean was terrible without Jack Sparrow.
Wonders of Life was a terrible attraction.
The descent of Spaceship Earth was terrible, which why they added something to do...

(Can I keep playing with this "fanboy logic" thing... or has the point been made?)

EPCOT Explorer

Love is an abstract term that is entirely subjective.

What and who I love can be completely inconsequencial to the rest of society (and it is). Though there is a logical argument that can be presented, using passion to fuel that argument is ineffective. Passion cannot BE argued; only accepted. Todd and I accept your passion, but not your logic because, in our minds, there is no logic.
I DO understand that,but there IS logic here...It just deals with the concpets that aren't usually taken into consideration, or as Todd puts it "just a theme park"...It's something much more than that to me and a TON of other people so if OUR opinion matters and "average guests" don't care/notice why worry about them?

Just throwing that out there...:)

EPCOT Explorer

With that statement, you put their perception of the wand in a biased frame of reference.

If you had just stated that was just an example of Disney Magic, (which... if I remember correctly it WAS for many of the posters here during the millinium celebration) then chances are good that they would have shrugged and went on with it.

The original Imagination was a terrible attraction.
World of Motion was a terrible attraction.
Pirates of the Caribbean was terrible without Jack Sparrow.
Wonders of Life was a terrible attraction.
The descent of Spaceship Earth was terrible, which why they added something to do...

(Can I keep playing with this "fanboy logic" thing... or has the point been made?)
That's how I DID describe it...I think I called it the Millennium Wand-and they asked why I called it that...And I explained that it was *originally for the 2000 party and to keep it around a while longer they changed it to read "EPCOT".

On that note...a person who hadn't been there since the 90's gasped when she saw it,and said "What the heck is that!?!" when she first saw it.And not in a good way,mind you....

And sorry,Legacy but not seeing at all what the random "terrible attraction" lines are for...:lookaroun

Legacy

That's how I DID describe it...I think I called it the Millennium Wand-and they asked why I called it that...And I explained that it was *originally for the 2000 party and to keep it around a while longer they changed it to read "EPCOT".
You still put in a frame of reference. Remove the millennial aspects of your description and you get a truer picture.

On that note...a person who hadn't been there since the 90's gasped when she saw it,and said "What the heck is that!?!" when she first saw it.And not in a good way,mind you....
She, also, had a prior frame of reference. This example actually supports my argument that people didn't like it because it wasn't there before.

And sorry,Legacy but not seeing at all what the random "terrible attraction" lines are for...:lookaroun
You said yourself that the wand was removed because it was "bad."

So... there are some more examples of "bad" attractions.

And feel free to call me Jeff.

Legacy

I DO understand that,but there IS logic here...It just deals with the concpets that aren't usually taken into consideration, or as Todd puts it "just a theme park"...It's something much more than that to me and a TON of other people so if OUR opinion matters and "average guests" don't care/notice why worry about them?

Just throwing that out there...:)

Because the opinions of a whiny minority always get the most attention.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Oh, the 40,000 "Disney Die-hards" on Magic, don't account for a percentage of Disney's early totals...

Even a ton involves its frame of reference.

EPCOT Explorer

Thanks,Jeff.

OK...I understand the point of reference thing...BUT,I think the reaction was based off of the gaudiness and how the Wand detracted from the sheer size and beauty of SSE...architecturally ,why would SSE need the wand in the 1st place?If Disney put it up for a special event in the first place,dosn;t it say something about it's purpose?To attract attention and commemorate a event.And it did that-perfectly.Like I said,I LOVED it in 2000.The same for the Cake and Gold.But when objects are left in place like that,they detract from the special feeling the said event had and get stale.Stale is what doomed EPCOT Center-I admit it.Why do that again in the parks?

Whew!...I'm starting to like these talks....Let's just keep them civil.We are all friends here.

Oh,and *squeek squeek*

devoy1701

I love the black streaky mold/mildew lines that currently reside on the skeleton of SSE...if anything, the wand took your attention away from how godawfully dirty SSE is...

has anybody seen my pressure washer and 18-story bucket truck? :veryconfu

Legacy

Thanks,Jeff.

OK...I understand the point of reference thing...BUT,I think the reaction was based off of the gaudiness and how the Wand detracted from the sheer size and beauty of SSE...architecturally ,why would SSE need the wand in the 1st place?If Disney put it up for a special event in the first place,dosn;t it say something about it's purpose?To attract attention and commemorate a event.And it did that-perfectly.Like I said,I LOVED it in 2000.The same for the Cake and Gold.But when objects are left in place like that,they detract from the special feeling the said event had and get stale.Stale is what doomed EPCOT Center-I admit it.Why do that again in the parks?

Whew!...I'm starting to like these talks....Let's just keep them civil.We are all friends here.

Maybe some would think that SSE is unnessecary itself. Or even the tree of life. A giant castle in Florida? Geesh, it can't get much more gaudy than that. I think what people on these boards got too hung up on was the "temporary" aspect of the wand. Everyone expected it to disappear, and when it didn't they got antsy. Instead, they could have just forgotten the fact that was meant to be temporary (like... say... Mickey's Toontown Fair or... even... the Festival of the Lion King) and everyone would have been fine with it.

In the back of the fanboy's mind was this clock going, "It's gonna come down soon... It's gonna come down soon..." That turned into, "Why isn't it down yet?... Why isn't it down yet?... Why isn't it down yet?" This finally led to, "Tear the stupid thing down!" when all any of you ever wanted to get Epcot back to how it was, not how it could be better.

The last thing that needs to disappear are the Leave A Legacy stones and then every quasi-permanent trace of the Millinnial celebration will be gone.

And then the fanboys can be happy. Who cares about the people who, just maybe, wish they could've seen the wand in person.

EPCOT Explorer

Maybe some would think that SSE is unnessecary itself. Or even the tree of life. A giant castle in Florida? Geesh, it can't get much more gaudy than that. I think what people on these boards got too hung up on was the "temporary" aspect of the wand. Everyone expected it to disappear, and when it didn't they got antsy. Instead, they could have just forgotten the fact that was meant to be temporary (like... say... Mickey's Toontown Fair or... even... the Festival of the Lion King) and everyone would have been fine with it.

In the back of the fanboy's mind was this clock going, "It's gonna come down soon... It's gonna come down soon..." That turned into, "Why isn't it down yet?... Why isn't it down yet?... Why isn't it down yet?" This finally led to, "Tear the stupid thing down!" when all any of you ever wanted to get Epcot back to how it was, not how it could be better.

The last thing that needs to disappear are the Leave A Legacy stones and then every quasi-permanent trace of the Millinnial celebration will be gone.

And then the fanboys can be happy. Who cares about the people who, just maybe, wish they could've seen the wand in person.

That's a little extreme,no?

I understand the "Fanboy" sttements...But it WAS supposed to be temporary.And it was-it's gone.Disney tadmited that when they took it down.That's the hitch.

Some wanted to see a wand-less SSE in person too.

tdonald

Ok, listen guys:

This does not need pages of heated debates.

Personally, I was glad when it came down, simply because I thought it was tacky and took a little away from SSE's beauty. That's all.

But can we stop these threads now, please? :shrug:

Legacy

That's a little extreme,no?

I understand the "Fanboy" sttements...But it WAS supposed to be temporary.And it was-it's gone.Disney tadmited that when they took it down.That's the hitch.

Some wanted to see a wand-less SSE in person too.
Then I guess it's time for fan-boys to start chanting for the removal of Festival of the Lion King. It was intended to be temporary.

And before you justify its stay with enclosing the theater, it was an attempt at permanency... like changing "2000" to "Epcot" with the wand. It still doesn't change the fact that it was originally intended to be temporary (EDIT).
Ok, listen guys:

This does not need pages of heated debates.

Personally, I was glad when it came down, simply because I thought it was tacky and took a little away from SSE's beauty. That's all.

But can we stop these threads now, please? :shrug:
FYI, Wand threads have been popping up and have been heated since I joined six years ago.

This one has actually been relatively civil.

jt04

Then I guess it's time for fan-boys to start chanting for the removal of Festival of the Lion King. It was intended to be temporary.

And before you justify its stay with enclosing the theater, it was an attempt at permanency... like changing "2000" to "Epcot" with the wand. It still doesn't change the fact that it was originally intended to be permanent.

FYI, Wand threads have been popping up and have been heated since I joined six years ago.

This one has actually been relatively civil.

After seeing the Hong Kong version I agree!!!! A new and improved version should be built in Adventureland or Africa at AK that is on par with the one they just built in Hong Kong.

Then Joe can build something amazing after CMM is bulldozed. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom