Epcot wand coming down?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
People still won't get the concept of SSE and call it a golf ball forever, so I don't care for the wand staying or going.

The hat was built to hide the Theater. Why did they want to hide the theater?
probably since you can market the hat better then a theater. i always see antenea toppers with the Sorcerers hat all the time and it would be hard to make one that is recognizable with the chinese theater.

but that is just a guess since we all know that it is all about marketing.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The wand is going, and SSE is being turned into a tribute to Scotland, focussing on golf, whiskey, deep fried food, engineering and the art of head butting.

This will of course require the sphere to be resighted in the area of the Milenium village, but leaves room for a super coaster that will feature sub teranian passages with animatronics and latest generation 4D effects.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
People still won't get the concept of SSE and call it a golf ball forever, so I don't care for the wand staying or going.

The hat was built to hide the Theater. Why did they want to hide the theater?
I don't think it was really done to hide the theater. From my understanding it was thought that MGM needed a marketable center piece like SSE at Epcot, the castle at MK and the Tree of Life at AK. Sadly the ideal place to put it was smack dab in front of the Theater. I think it was really a case of poor planning in the original design of MGM itself but what can you expect when you design an entire theme park over a weekend.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I don't think it was really done to hide the theater. From my understanding it was thought that MGM needed a marketable center piece like SSE at Epcot, the castle at MK and the Tree of Life at AK. Sadly the ideal place to put it was smack dab in front of the Theater. I think it was really a case of poor planning in the original design of MGM itself but what can you expect when you design an entire theme park over a weekend.
add what master yoda said to mine up top and i think you have the best answer

:D

haveyoumetmark

I always thought it was because MGM needed a better icon than the earful tower. Until I saw this....
I do agree that I would rather see the wand gone than present, but the hat was put up for the very reason people are complaining about it. It was built to hide the Grauman's Chinese Theater.
That's why I asked why they would want to hide it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The wand is going, and SSE is being turned into a tribute to Scotland, focussing on golf, whiskey, deep fried food, engineering and the art of head butting.

This will of course require the sphere to be resighted in the area of the Milenium village, but leaves room for a super coaster that will feature sub teranian passages with animatronics and latest generation 4D effects.
I thought is was us yanks that deep fry everything and the Scott's boiled their food? The oh so appetising dish of Haggis comes to mind.:lol:

dxwwf3

I must be the only one who actually likes the wand and the hat! :drevil:

I don't mind the hat. Sure I prefer seeing the Chinese Theater while coming down Hollywood Blvd., but I don't mind the hat one bit. I've grown to like it more as time goes on.

However, I think the wand cheapens the park and it looks very outdated (Something about that font screams out the 1970's).

Scooter

Ya'll need to stop worrying about stupid things like wands and a hats when you're in Disney World.:lol:

There's nothing you can do about either so stop wasting your energy on this and enjoy your vacations.

I see lots of ugly people at Disney World, but I don't spend my time thinking about offing them...I'm too busy focusing on the fun I'm having.:D

Lee

Adventurer
The hat was indeed built to hide the theatre. No doubt.

The reason is that they wanted every park to have a visible icon like the Castle, SSE, and Tree. Unfortunately, most people thought of the theatre as the icon for the Studios. That's a problem since Disney doesn't own the design of the theatre. It was built by permission of the real theatre's owners, and they never licensed the use of it as a marketing icon for the park.
Originally, Disney wanted the Earful Tower to be the icon...but due to it's position backstage where it isn't very easily seen or photographed by guests...it didn't work out as well as they had hoped.
So...they needed a new icon in a visible spot....and they got one.

Simple as that. The hat ain't moving.

Chape19714

The reason is that they wanted every park to have a visible icon like the Castle, SSE, and Tree. Unfortunately, most people thought of the theatre as the icon for the Studios. That's a problem since Disney doesn't own the design of the theatre. It was built by permission of the real theatre's owners, and they never licensed the use of it as a marketing icon for the park.
Originally, Disney wanted the Earful Tower to be the icon...but due to it's position backstage where it isn't very easily seen or photographed by guests...it didn't work out as well as they had hoped.

Thanks for that!

DznyRktekt

Finally a real answer from the real deal. How about the wand...

jmvd20

I hate the Wand. But i hear that It can't be removed, since is hidding a Celphone tower. But for how long the graveyard is supposed to last. I remember that "The Walk Around the World" at MK was for 10 years (this has ended). so when we can expect to that be moved out.

I highly doubt that the wand houses a cell phone tower. There is already a cell tower outside of the park on the TT M:S side, saw it many times on the bus when we were there over the summer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lee`s right - the Hat is for a status symbol. The fact it`s also a store pleases management no end. Here`s a radical soloution; move the water tower to behind the Theatre. Have it line of sight of Hollywood Blvd. Voila; a great street with a great vista, a great buillding visible again, and the parks symbol visible to all.

Oh I forgot; it makes money. As does Leave a Legacy in a graveyard.

Yep, truth is that the wand is coming down...and Michael Eisner created Mickey Mouse...

I actually like the wand...and I have this vision of them turing spaceship earth into a giant cup cake after the wand is down and spelling out EPCOT in tha candles...X_X

dxwwf3

Ya'll need to stop worrying about stupid things like wands and a hats when you're in Disney World.:lol:

There's nothing you can do about either so stop wasting your energy on this and enjoy your vacations.

Who said anybody was worrying about this while they were on vacation? I don't think about the hat and the wand that much while I'm there, but that doesn't mean that I can't talk about them at home on a message board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom