Epcot wand coming down?

jasonchas

Original Poster
laughingplace.com is reporting:

We've heard that engineers have been assigned to the Spaceship Earth wand at Epcot to assess what is the most practical way of removing the icon in 2007.

Hmm.. I hope so...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I would love for this to be true, the rumor has been around almost as long as the wand itself. I'll believe it when I go to Epcot and the thing is gone.

EDIT: Wasn't the wand suppose to be temporary? If so there shouldn't there already be a demolition plan?

Shaman

I hope this rumor is true.

*lights a candle, prays, crosses fingers*

Thanks for the heads up! :wave:

it398

the whole arm is built in modular truss sections and as such would be very simple to remove with a crane .

there should be no reason why this is a big deal and would require a lot of prep work.

Mister Toad

I like the wand

Here's one vote for it staying permanently.

It is a nice reminder of the 2000 year. I think it actually does a lot for the park. If they want to get rid of something, get rid of that stupid hat in MGM.

TheDisneyMagic

I hope this is true.....I hate that thing. When did it go up anyway??? I forgot.

It went up during the millenium celebration in 1999 and had 2000 written, then after the celebration was finished they changed it to say Epcot.

I did like it during the millenium celebration and thought it was a clever change to make it say Epcot the first couple of times I saw it, but now I miss how Spaceship Eath used to look like.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I, for one, like the wand. The whole park was in need of an update, and the want adds itself nicely. Do I miss spaceship earth without it? I'm not sure...i like the old pictures, but I'd rather have the old fountain back than take down the wand.

I really doubt it's going away after only 7 years.

DznyRktekt

Maybe the wand will come down to make room for the new giant ears. This could help every guest find at least one "hidden mickey". :lookaroun

:p ...in other local stories...the monorail will be expanded...Spaceship earth is going to be turned into a roller coaster...and harry potter land is just around the corner

kcnole

The wand totally ruins the beautiful design of SSE and anyone who doesn't see why just doesn't understand design aesthetics. Look at the pictures of it prewand, look how beautifully symetrical it was, how it was a center focal point of a symetrical park. It was so beautiful in its lone glory. To me the wand is like taking the mona lisa and painting a birthday hat on her head and thinking you're improving it.

DznyRktekt

The wand totally ruins the beautiful design of SSE and anyone who doesn't see why just doesn't understand design aesthetics. Look at the pictures of it prewand, look how beautifully symetrical it was, how it was a center focal point of a symetrical park. It was so beautiful in its lone glory. To me the wand is like taking the mona lisa and painting a birthday hat on her head and thinking you're improving it.

Well said, but you forgot the part about scale and forced perspective.

DFD111

and this just in, The monorail will become a double decker and will go to every resort in WDW to be able to transport everyone to the parks quicker. Also, River Country will be reopened soon and will be shared by both Fort Wilderness & The Wilderness Lodge. We will also be getting A Harry Potter themed park and resort where J.K. Rowling will take up residense inside to finish her take over plans of the Walt Disney Corporation. :lol:

:brick: I will believe it when I see it, as everyone should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom