Epcot wand coming down?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The wand totally ruins the beautiful design of SSE and anyone who doesn't see why just doesn't understand design aesthetics. Look at the pictures of it prewand, look how beautifully symetrical it was, how it was a center focal point of a symetrical park. It was so beautiful in its lone glory. To me the wand is like taking the mona lisa and painting a birthday hat on her head and thinking you're improving it.

Perhaps they understand fine, but just happen to not agree with you.

Its how you define beauty, human faces are not symetrical after all.

dvcnut39

Here's one vote for it staying permanently.

It is a nice reminder of the 2000 year. I think it actually does a lot for the park. If they want to get rid of something, get rid of that stupid hat in MGM.

I 'd say ditto, except I like the hat. I just don't like it blocking the view of TGMR.

I suppose I'm in the minority when I say that I like both the wand and the hat. I think the wand adds some much needed whimsy to Spaceship Earth, and Epcot in general.

Disneyfanman

Add me in support of the wand too. I have always liked it, and am not really hung up on how Epcot used to be. I like the changes in Future World. I am more concerned in the closed shops and transition to junk stuff in the WS shops. I think they are becomming too "Disneyfied" in what many of them are selling. It really struck me over the past couple of annual visits. Not as much fun to visit anymore, and since there aren't really any interesting attractions back there other than American Adventure......

I like the hat too, just not its location.

Rayray

SSE was an architechtural masterpiece. Now, it is still an architectural masterpiece, but it stands next to another interesting structure... that does not match its design in architechture. It ruins the entire point of the sphere being reminescent of earth. It breaks the unique tile structure that expands the simple idea of symmetry into a compicated one. The wand sits too high, as well. It takes too much emphasis off the orginal structure. It splits the attention of the viewer from one concrete idea to two less evocative ones. I don't think the imagineers wanted that.

Mr. Iger, bring down that wand.;)

pheneix

Spaceship Earth is the only structure unique to WDW that is famous the world over. Tear that damn wand down and give that wonderful piece of architecture its beauty back. While they're at it, knock out those gravestones in front of SSE to give the area an open and inviting feel like it once had.

Slowjack

Here's one vote for it staying permanently.

It is a nice reminder of the 2000 year. I think it actually does a lot for the park. If they want to get rid of something, get rid of that stupid hat in MGM.
The wand is one big hunk o' tacky crap. It's craptacular. You say it does a lot for the park. What does it do? It makes it look like crap, that's what. I don't think we need another reminder of 2000, anyway, as long as we have to walk past the Graveyard of the Future when we go in.:)

But...I actually have to agree that if they have to remove only one thing, it needs to be the hat. The wand, at least, only adorns Spaceship Earth, it doesn't hide it. The hat takes what was a carefully themed streetscape and just ruins it. It makes absolutely no visual sense there.

bayoutinkbelle

Perhaps they understand fine, but just happen to not agree with you.

Its how you define beauty, human faces are not symetrical after all.

Thanks for that.

As for me, I like it. Would I be upset if they took it down? No. I could take it either way -- as long as what's inside remains and gets the refurb it so rightly deserves. SSE is one of my favorite Disney attractions.

discomouse131

having the wand that says 'epcot' over spaceship earth is like having a sign over cinderella castle that says 'magic kingdom'.... i totally agree with the idea of removing it.... and while they're at it, please take away that hat over at mgm...it blocks a great view of the chinese theatre! ;)

Mr Bill

The wand is one big hunk o' tacky crap. It's craptacular. You say it does a lot for the park. What does it do? It makes it look like crap, that's what. I don't think we need another reminder of 2000, anyway, as long as we have to walk past the Graveyard of the Future when we go in.:)

But...I actually have to agree that if they have to remove only one thing, it needs to be the hat. The wand, at least, only adorns Spaceship Earth, it doesn't hide it. The hat takes what was a carefully themed streetscape and just ruins it. It makes absolutely no visual sense there.

I do agree that I would rather see the wand gone than present, but the hat was put up for the very reason people are complaining about it. It was built to hide the Grauman's Chinese Theater.

teebin

While they're at it, knock out those gravestones in front of SSE to give the area an open and inviting feel like it once had.

Was that entire gravestone area once completely open?? Was that ugly dribbly round fountain thingy there? (I hate the dribbly round fountain thingy too) The large oval planting area... was that there in the beginning?

doop

I liked the look of the wand when it first was up, but now the thing is definitely getting old. Hopefully these rumors, which always seem to pop up, are true this time.

Since1976

While I overall dislike the wand itself, I find that it has been useful in establishing time whenever I see pictures of Epcot. Pictures of SSE without the wand seem so *old* to me now -- 1982 old -- even though the wand didn't go up until 1999.

If they do take the wand down, I hope that at least change the colors and patterns of the lights on the ball every year, just to keep Epcot visually dynamic.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Was there a time warp back to a hundred threads ago? :lookaroun

Did someone say TIME WARP??

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bL_7MGM3n4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bL_7MGM3n4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/FONT][/FONT]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom