Epcot wand coming down?

St205

I vote that the wand stays. I like it. Someone said that SE doesn't change colors now? Wow,and to think my last visit to Epcot was 7 years ago.

wjaye918

I am not sure why everyone hates it so much. :veryconfu What is the big objection to it and the hat? To me, each park has an icon: castle, tree, hat, wand.
I don't mind any of them. Maybe I just love Disney so much that nothing they ever do or add or change bothers me! I am just so happy when I am there!

imagineer boy

wjaye918 said:
I am not sure why everyone hates it so much. :veryconfu What is the big objection to it and the hat? To me, each park has an icon: castle, tree, hat, wand.
I don't mind any of them. Maybe I just love Disney so much that nothing they ever do or add or change bothers me! I am just so happy when I am there!

The hat has not always been the symbol of the park. The Earful tower ( the water tower with Mickey ears ) used to be the symbol of MGM. Then they decided to change the symbol to the hat. The problem with the hat is that it blocks the view of the Chinese Theater at the end of the street. That's mainly the reason why most people don't like it.

tirian

Hate the wand.

Like the hat, but not its location.

I hate the wand because it destroys the futuristic aesthetic, and I'll be thrilled when Disney removes that cheap, cardboard-like eyesore; but the ugly thing doesn't ruin my day at Epcot. I just ignore it. Plus, you can still take great pictures of SSE (sans wand) from around the Living Seas.

Since the hat is going to stay where it is for now, Disney needs to put something better than a gift shop in there.

Actually, I like the concept of the Leave a Legacy monoliths; they frame SSE quite nicely. But the area definitely needs something to combat the gravestone look. Maybe planting small shrubbery around the base of each monolith would help...or look like someone is pushing daisies! :lol:

---------------
Corrus, I know that at one point, Disney was seriously considering removing the wand for Epcot's 25th; that's part of why it suddenly disappeared from so much new merchandise last year. Is it definitely not coming down yet? :cry:

wedenterprises

Actually, I like the concept of the Leave a Legacy monoliths; they frame SSE quite nicely. But the area definitely needs something to combat the gravestone look. Maybe planting small shrubbery around the base of each monolith would help...or look like someone is pushing daisies! :lol:

I like the idea of them, but it's the massiveness of them and the ugly brown colour. It would look cool if they were glass.

jmuboy

I hate the wand and the sooner it leaves the better. It makes the classy SSE look cheap and tacky (something WDW seems to like in recent years).

As for the hat, I actually like it......but it is in a STUPID STUPID STUPID location. It reeks of Eisner/Pressler.

Maryssa*

having the wand that says 'epcot' over spaceship earth is like having a sign over cinderella castle that says 'magic kingdom'
This is sort of how I feel about the wand as well. It was cool for year 2000 but once they changed it to say EPCOT i was just kind of "huh?? why bother??" I wish it would go.
I also think the hat in MGM needs to go as well, except they are sort of using it as the icon for that park now (in merchandise, etc). They should go back to the earful tower icon, it made so much more sense for MGM!

Space Mountain

Just because it's "art" doesn't mean it's pretty. These things are hideous. The wand doesn't look too bad until you walk right underneath it.

I love how in all the Disney books, Imagineers boast about all their techniques and philosophies then they go and plunk things down like the wand, the hat RIGHT infront of the theatre and turn the castle into a cake...these all seem like contradictions to me. I guess there really is a struglle between the creative force/ability of WDI and the shareholders/execs.

The wand was cool, but it's been up there for nearly 8 years. I say they take the wand down and paint spaceship earth a shimmering blend of colours the way John Hench wanted it. Or maybe repalce all the triangles with LCD screens.

What makes the wand not work for me is that it makes Spaceship Earth look small. It also takes away from the fact that it is supposed to symbolize earth, not a crystal ball or something that a giant mickey hand would wave a wand infront of.

The hat in MGM is fine, but not where it is currently. They could make a "cartoon" land in MGM with the muppets, animation tour, animated characters from movies, pixar etc and put the hat there. I dunno, SOMETHING...but the theatre is such a great image when you walk into MGM.

and hey, maybe John Stamos will buy the wand too.

I really like the wand. But yes, when you get near or under it, the sight is cruddy and all you see is metal structures..It should be somehow blocked off or covered up from the ground to the edge of SSE on that side.

LCDs would be a little too intense i think. I would feel weird seeing a giant tv from an airplane or my epcot resort hotel room..

I think the MGM wand should be moved to the front of the park in front of the entrance. That way it doesnt obstruct the Chinese Theatre.

PhilharMagician

But...as I stated earlier...that is the whole point of the hat. It was BUILT to hide the theatre. :rolleyes:

Lee, who do you think you are? Someone that worked for Disney, or do you think you were some kind of Imagineer know it all? :D

Thanks for the info as always.:wave:

kcnole

Your post just completely proved the point of why everyone hates it. The wand is NOT the icon of Epcot. The geosphere which houses SpaceShip Earth is the icon of the park. The stupid wand just draws your attention away from how beautiful the icon once was. It would be like installing Mickey Ears on top of cindy's castle and people thinking the ears are the icon and not the castle.

Remove the wand, no one needs the wand to know they're in Epcot. When I was a kid, Epcot was marketed a ton and the icon was always SSE. To me as a child, when I saw the geosphere I thought Epcot center, and when I heard the name Epcot center, I thought of SSE. It needs to be that way again.

There's a ton of artistic reasons why I hate it, but that is the primary reason right there.

AlishaMisha

Look at the pictures of it prewand, look how beautifully symetrical it was, how it was a center focal point of a symetrical park.

Not so much...while i agree with you, If you look at it from google earth it's off centered :cool: ...Im sorry, Im a mathmatition. I can't help but be picky about poportions and cymetry :hammer:...I knew I just had to say it or I would explode :dazzle:.

:king: ~Leash

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom