Epcot fountain walls are up

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I'm going to call two things:

1. They are cutting the concrete to access, repair, or replace existing piping as part of a large refurbishment.
2. Disney has been replacing lighting with LEDs throughout all of the parks over the past year or so. The original lighting is built into the concrete. We might be looking at new LED lighting for the fountain as well. It makes perfect sense...less energy, much longer lifetime, and a wide range of color combinations.

New fountains? Maybe, but I'm not seeing it.
I like where your head's at with the lighting being changed over. Seems pretty logical!

EPCOT Explorer

I'm going to call two things:

1. They are cutting the concrete to access, repair, or replace existing piping as part of a large refurbishment.
2. Disney has been replacing lighting with LEDs throughout all of the parks over the past year or so. The original lighting is built into the concrete. We might be looking at new LED lighting for the fountain as well. It makes perfect sense...less energy, much longer lifetime, and a wide range of color combinations.

New fountains? Maybe, but I'm not seeing it.
Sounds good...I'm just happy they are working.

They are getting rid of the fountain and installing a pin station in a large hat with a wand next to it....:lookaroun
:rolleyes::lol:

They already did that 8 years ago...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A few FYIs...

The fountain foundation and base is the original 1982 one. It was retrofitted, not replaced in late 1993 for Splashtacular. Perhaps there is a problem with this since it`s 27 years old?

Access to all the plumbing is from underneath the fountain. There is no need to dig the concrete up to get to any pipes. Think of it as a sub basement.

Me hopes for LED :D

EPCOT Explorer

A few FYIs...

The fountain foundation and base is the original 1982 one. It was retrofitted, not replaced in late 1993 for Splashtacular. Perhaps there is a problem with this since it`s 27 years old?

Access to all the plumbing is from underneath the fountain. There is no need to dig the concrete up to get to any pipes. Think of it as a sub basement.

Me hopes for LED :D
So you think this is only LED work? No pipes/pumps?:(

jt04

I wonder if maybe they're a) installing new fountains and effects that they also plan on using in the World of Color show at DCA, or b) they're just laying groundwork now for possible future upgrades to the fountain.

-Rob

This is my guess. Some of the tech from WoC, I.E. new lighting and state of the art water effects. And who knows, maybe even some water animation projections (or whatever they are called).

First the fountain, then those hideous "tarps"! :D

Probably just wishful thinking though.

EPCOT Explorer

This is my guess. Some of the tech from WoC, I.E. new lighting and state of the art water effects. And who knows, maybe even some water animation projections (or whatever they are called).

First the fountain, then those hideous "tarps"! :D

Probably just wishful thinking though.
Yep...The circus might need to leave town.:lol:

NewfieFan

Have you heard any more rumors it is on the way out? Hate to see a fancy new FoN with that purple-ish monstrocity ruining it and the spinning wheels need to go too.

I kind of like the spinning wheels... I didn't think they were that bad!:shrug:

So does anybody know what is being done to the fountain or are we all just speculating on this one!?! The fountain is certainly one of those "things" that is Disney for me. I hope it is getting some love! I always spend my first day at Epcot and end the night by watching a fountain show while the crowds thin out! Only 186 days to go...

jt04

I kind of like the spinning wheels... I didn't think they were that bad!:shrug:

So does anybody know what is being done to the fountain or are we all just speculating on this one!?! The fountain is certainly one of those "things" that is Disney for me. I hope it is getting some love! I always spend my first day at Epcot and end the night by watching a fountain show while the crowds thin out! Only 186 days to go...

I don't mind them but the seem more Fantasyland or Tomorrowland (sci-fi land?) than Epcot. I just prefer the clean lines and naural elements (lush plantings, water features) of the original design.

It's all speculation as know one really knows what exactly they are doing back there.

jt04

Martin posted something about it being in the works...But not for a while. Right?:eek:

I'd say it's been about two years or so since I have heard anything about the clean up of the plaza. The new Innoventions signage was not a step in that direction IMO. Again a design more fantasyland than future. Just not very Epcot-y.

Martin?

Rob562

There was additional paperwork filed with the county on Friday.
Not too many details, other than it saying:

EC Future World WS Stage
18-20Amp 120v circuits for lighting and audio. Conduit chase for lighting cable

Doesn't sound like a demolition of the stage, unfortunately. :(

-Rob

EPCOT Explorer

There was additional paperwork filed with the county on Friday.
Not too many details, other than it saying:

EC Future World WS Stage
18-20Amp 120v circuits for lighting and audio. Conduit chase for lighting cable

Doesn't sound like a demolition of the stage, unfortunately. :(

-Rob

:dazzle: So the stage survives!?:lol:

Well, at least the FON is getting some major work.

tirian

No offense to anybody's opinion, but...

Seriously, who cares about the stage?

Really?

It's been there longer than many people here have been alive.

The other changes—better lighting, the eventual removal of all the 90s-era clutter, and the upcoming changes to Innoventions are much more important. :D

EPCOT Explorer

No offense to anybody's opinion, but...

Seriously, who cares about the stage?

Really?

It's been there longer than many people here have been alive.

The other changes—better lighting, the eventual removal of all the 90s-era clutter, and the upcoming changes to Innoventions are much more important. :D

I always regarded it as PART of the clutter...

but what's this you speak of?! My dear tirian...what do you know?:D:lol:

raven

Original Poster

One exhibit will be just in time to step on the toes of something that Universal is priding themselves on being the first to have. :zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom