EPCOT Entertainment cuts

mlayton144

And yet they already had talented acts, with no need for anyone to step in.

And I'm not sure what ethics has to do with entertainment acts at WDW.....

No need for anyone to step in? Maybe you are right, dont know the financial part of this, what they are paying them vs what they should be paying them. Are you saying its not ethical to drop the entertainers and install new ones? Under what premise is OffKilter "ethically entitled" to work at WDW? They seem to have quite a rabid (literally) fan base, they should be able to market their act anywhere and get by just fine no?

doctornick

And yet they already had talented acts, with no need for anyone to step in.

But we are constantly told on these pages that the parks are "stale" and need new offerings. Someone's favorite act is always going to be something that another person doesn't care about. There are replacements for what is being cut. Time will tell if the replacements are good but at least they superficially seem to fit the theme of WS well.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No need for anyone to step in? Maybe you are right, dont know the financial part of this, what they are paying them vs what they should be paying them. Are you saying its not ethical to drop the entertainers and install new ones? Under what ethics is OffKilter "ethically entitled" to work at WDW? They seem to have quite a rabid (literally) fan base, they should be able to market their act anywhere and get by just fine no?
Who said they were entitled to anything. You brought up the vague "ethics acts" as if those who are being shut down somehow were the opposite. And as for the financial part of it, overall it's a budget cut, plain and simple. But somehow I think you knew all of this before firing up your account today.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
But we are constantly told on these pages that the parks are "stale" and need new offerings. Someone's favorite act is always going to be something that another person doesn't care about. There are replacements for what is being cut. Time will tell if the replacements are good but at least they superficially seem to fit the theme of WS well.
And yet there are less replacements for what is being removed, which has been the case for some time now. In addition, there's no guarantee of the new acts being an improvement over the old, and I don't recall anyone referencing any of these acts as being "stale" before today....

doctornick

The fact that they are cutting rock and comedy inspired "cultural" shows for a supposedly authentic line up actually sounds like a bold move in the right direction.

I tend to agree. In fact, the flag show for Italy sounds like exactly the type of out there option that would have been hired in 80's Epcot and seemed weird to the common man. I hope it's impressive because it's almost certain to be fairly unique for most guests and I think unique offerings are a cool thing that enhance the parks.

WDWLover#1

I do find it funny that people still assume due to disney's past. Then again with that being said I wouldn't blame anyone. But I'm confident since megs gotten out the way that george is going in a new direction. However shoot me down if the whole of disney gets rid of entertainment! On a tangent it's hilarious to see people complaining about stuff being new to keep the parks fresh. As Marty Sklar said the theme parks aren't museums. I'm all for new stuff being added. Keeps me wanting a reason to go back.

ABQ

I do find it funny that people still assume due to disney's past. Then again with that being said I wouldn't blame anyone. But I'm confident since megs gotten out the way that george is going in a new direction. However shoot me down if the whole of disney gets rid of entertainment! On a tangent it's hilarious to see people complaining about stuff being new to keep the parks fresh. As Marty Sklar said the theme parks aren't museums. I'm all for new stuff being added. Keeps me wanting a reason to go back.
You're right, but your math is a little off. You stated that you're all for new stuff being added, however, that looks more like this.
2+1=3

Instead, we're getting something more like

(2-1)+(1-1)=1

That's not really an addition.

BrerJon

The 'Disneyland is not a museum' line is trotted out regularly but it wasn't meant to defend closing things because they were old with no intention to replace them.

The best example of 'not a museum' done right I can think of is Jaws at Universal Orlando. It was *adored* by fans, one of the best things Universal have ever done, but... what replaced it is so stunning, on such a scale, that it more than makes up for what is lost, and virtually nobody has complained.

If Disney replaced closures with markedly superior offerings, few people would complain. Instead you get Pleasure Island type situations where stuff shuts and then just stays shut. Hopefully the Epcot entertainment is a refresh not a cut, but we'll see... the track record of TDO on this isn't good.

mlayton144

This is the point. This is to save money.

World Showcase entertainment are currently paid the same.

Execute the contract clause for 30 days notice and bring in new, third parties under new contracts for less money.

Maybe you are right, but you really shouldn't care about how much money they are making or saving, you should only care about the guest experience. If they bring in crap (or nothing) to replace it, then Im right along with you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom