EPCOT Entertainment cuts

NewfieFan

Speaking of budget cuts, don't be surprised to see only one Friendship boat operating in the lagoon, more often than two. This is leading to having no boats in the lagoon at all in the near future - all due to budget cuts.

This actually upsets me more!!! I love the water transportation at Epcot. We always take a trip across the lagoon on every trip. Say it isn't so!?!

I'm open to the new acts... I'll pass judgement when I see them. I too have children and only get to pause and watch the acts if I'm in the area when they're playing. My kids were never a fan of the bands so I never really got attached to them as I would only hear a song or two at best.

Bparso87

I am so mad about this. British revolution was a good band their wonderwall cover was great I loved how they all different British rock. Off kilter was great to they where my first show I saw at Epcot and they did a amazing free bird. I am 27 years old so I don't think the music is getting outdated since most of my friends love classic rock.

BrerJon

All the defenders can laugh al they want. But if they think WDW is any where near the greatness it once was....they are delusional. Now I am going back to practicing my knee jerk......Thank you.

To be fair to the 'defenders', many of them never got to see the park in the days before the giant wand ushered in a decade and a half of mediocrity, so the contrast is far less apparent to most people than those who went pre-2000.

My feeling with this is they will change the acts, put them on renewable six month contracts, then next year they will cut them for not being popular, before they new acts have had time to build a fanbase who will complain if there are no replacements. That way Entertainment gets to cut its budget and do its part in MyMagic+ repayments, but the PR side is still covered.

WDW has gone from four of the finest theme parks in the world and a unique nightlife complex, to now almost feeling like one good park, two malls, a zoo and a studio tour without a tour. All these cuts add to the sense that things are being taken away quicker than they are being added.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Great....now we're giving female guests even MORE of a reason to stand in five hour lines for a M&G.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if part of the response to the outcry over act replacement is to add a few walk around characters or meet-and-greet spots.

30 minutes of character performance costs nothing, just two CPs on minimum wage, compared to equity performers, but they suck up the crowds more than they ever used to, so would be an easy way to appear like they were adding stuff, when in fact they were just saving cash.

Last edited:

John

Call me cynical but if I were a betting chap Id say this is just a calculated move to cut things altogether.
Replace the popular with crap, when no one watches you can legitimately axe the lot.

Bonuses and trebles all round. Huzzahhh.
Feel free to bookmark for refrence in a few months.

Call you cynical....HA!

startraveler

I remember when they used to add entertainment specifically for the food and wine festival. Dancers, musicians, storytellers, etc. That was the best part sometimes for our family. Particularly liked the Turkish dancers and the Native American Storytellers and Dancers. And...That was at the same time as Future World had acrobats, roving robots, other shows....

mlayton144

time will tell if they are third rate too

I dont think WDW needs to be in the business of developing Rock Cover Bands nor have them on their payroll, there are PLENTY of talented acts in EVERY city that can step RIGHT in and perform. Yikes its not like people are banging down their door to hear their original music.Contractor work sounds about right. The more quality ethnic acts might be a harder find.

Transparency

Let's give them a call then (since Guest Communications will bury it.)

Tom Staggs
Chariman of WDPR
818-560-6977
tom.staggs@disney.com

Meg Crofton
President WDPR Ops US and France
818-560-7401
meg.crofton@disney.com

George Kalogridis
President of WDW
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Jim MacPhee
SVP of NGE and WDW Parks
407-560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

Sam Lau
VP of Epcot
407-560-7025
samuel.w.lau@disney.com

Jack Feivou
GM of Epcot Entertainment Operations
407-560-6017
jack.feivou@disney.com

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I dont think WDW needs to be in the business of developing Rock Bands nor have them on their payroll, there are PLENTY of talented acts in EVERY city that can step RIGHT in and perform. Yikes its not like people are banging down their door to hear their original music.Contractor work sounds about right. The more quality ethic acts might be a harder find.
And yet they already had talented acts, with no need for anyone to step in.

And I'm not sure what ethics has to do with entertainment acts at WDW.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom