EPCOT Entertainment cuts

71jason

I'm telling you, we are not that far away from a time when the only Equity gigs on property will be at the Luau and Hoop, and they'll only survive because there's an admission fee and it's making them money.

(And to that point, there's some rumbling that Hoop may drop to two performances a night...)

Isn't Luau perpetually rumored to be on the chopping block as well?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Count me in the minority that is happy that OffKilter is going bye-bye. Epcot should celebrate ethnic culture of the host-county, and at the end of the day OffKilter is just another LOUD rock cover band (dime a dozen). For those that might not live in Metro areas I can see them being special to watch, but when you are 3 countries away and can still hear them that isnt cool. Send them to Downtown DIsney or something.
I AM sad to here MoRoccin and the US attraction leaving, I thoroughly enjoyed both of them
3 countries away?

Terrific first post, by the way....

dreamfinder

The one thing I will say is that it would be better to replace acts more periodically instead of wholesale changes at once. Swap out one act every 6 months in WS and you'd have something always "fresh" without the appearance of massive upheaval.

This. Not only does it not scream slashing budgets, it's helps to create those extra press releases. Want to hold a "news conference" about a new bench? If these cuts were spread out over 1 1/2 years to 2 years it gives them the ability to hold 4 "new conferences" about new acts. I mean that what they did for NFL, right? Or does spreading out new attractions/entertainment only work when it saves money/makes the books look better...

WDW1974

Oh, I guess TDO and Georgie K taking a machete to EPCOT entertainment is something big enough to get the angst and ugly words spewing.

I don't have a problem with them. I just don't fundamentally understand why any of you believe that WDW is run in the best interest of guests, fans, CMs and (long term) shareholders until Disney does something YOU personally have a problem with.

I am always a Big Picture Spirit. I don't care all that much for these groups, but others do and I get why they are being replaced. And that's why I care ...

Let me be clear:

1.) This is STRICTLY a financial decision (much like every premium or upcharge event announced this year, much like I told you many months ago);
2.) I don't believe that groups should perform forever. They do get stale too;
3.) I didn't spend all that much time listening to any of them (although Off Kilter clearly had devoted groupies);
4.) At the end of the day, it isn't about changing things. It's about WHY you change. WHAT is the motivation?
5.) When you change strictly for financial reasons because your huge NGE program is an amazing boondoggle of US government proportions, the only rational answer is that you have a house cleaning of top executive leadership. But that won't happen.

Anyway, I had my brief say ... this one looks like a Lights of Winter deal, so enjoy having a 200-page bitchfest that will change nothing.

Just a question, though, has one person here called to George K's office? Has one person here called to the EPCOT VP of the Day? Has one person called to EPCOT's head of entertainment?

If you have a complaint, then that is how you bring it to Disney's attention ... yes, you off the excs by clogging their email and ringing their phones off the hook. You don't whine online (I know it is cathartic to some degree, but still ...) You certainly do NOT contact Guest Communications unless you want a call from Joan Martin, the most condescending woman working for TDO.

Now, as Joan would say, ''Thanks for calling Disney and have a MAGICal day!''

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Well that made me laugh considering!!!! I am a huge OK fan and have been for many years. and yes fan not groupie, I don't think any of the guys are scared of me, or at least there haven't been any restraining orders taken out that I know about!!! Marie

SoupBone

Oh, I guess TDO and Georgie K taking a machete to EPCOT entertainment is something big enough to get the angst and ugly words spewing.

I don't have a problem with them. I just don't fundamentally understand why any of you believe that WDW is run in the best interest of guests, fans, CMs and (long term) shareholders until Disney does something YOU personally have a problem with.

I am always a Big Picture Spirit. I don't care all that much for these groups, but others do and I get why they are being replaced. And that's why I care ...

Let me be clear:

1.) This is STRICTLY a financial decision (much like every premium or upcharge event announced this year, much like I told you many months ago);
3.) I didn't spend all that much time listening to any of them (although Off Kilter clearly had devoted groupies);
4.) At the end of the day, it isn't about changing things. It's about WHY you change. WHAT is the motivation?
5.) When you change strictly for financial reasons because your huge NGE program is an amazing boondoggle of US government proportions, the only rational answer is that you have a house cleaning of top executive leadership. But that won't happen.

Anyway, I had my brief say ... this one looks like a Lights of Winter deal, so enjoy having a 200-page bitchfest that will change nothing.

Just a question, though, has one person here called to George K's office? Has one person here called to the EPCOT VP of the Day? Has one person called to EPCOT's head of entertainment?

If you have a complaint, then that is how you bring it to Disney's attention ... yes, you off the excs by clogging their email and ringing their phones off the hook. You don't whine online (I know it is cathartic to some degree, but still ...) You certainly do NOT contact Guest Communications unless you want a call from Joan Martin, the most condescending woman working for TDO.

Post their numbers and email. I'll be happy to call and draft a response. It's time.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Don't worry guys, I'm fairly certain that these groups will be back at EPCOT in a new upcharge event, held in the Wonders of Life Festival pavilion. For only $178 per person (plus park admission), you can catch a performance of all groups, playing your favorite hits, and enjoy a choice of appetizer from The Garden Grill or The Coral Reef, along with a bottle of water from the host country of each band.

Ok, ok, I'll admit, that joke is getting old to me, and I've made a variation of it about 100 times. I think I'll stop. I need a new bad joke.

CdnDznyLuvr

Not for nothing, but did Off Kilter really represent Canada well? Kilts and bagpipes don't exactly scream Canada to me and I'm under the impression that most/all of the band members weren't Canadian.
Good point. While Celtic Rock is still popular in the eastern provinces of Canada (Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island), Country music is huge in the prairie provinces. We also have a number of awesome rock, blues and jazz bands (the Guess Who, Rush, April Wine, The Tragically Hip to name a few).

Nemo14

Let me be clear:

I had to chuckle about that last part. She calls my cell after every letter I send (even though I have never given her my number). I just finished typing up my latest letter concerning all the crap that has gone on this week, and my last sentence was a plea for her to not call me - I'll have my own damn day thank you very much!

Rogue21

At the risk of looking like someone that is trying to be negative....

How does Disney justify "recreational lumber-jacking" [insert joke] within its broader conservation efforts. (Also, what about the conflicting messages with the Living with the Land, the Circle of Life, Kali River Rapids, etc?)

How will they source the wood? There can't be that much stage ready, fallen timber on property. Will they have it trucked in? Will it be responsibly sourced? Will it be offset?

It just seems odd that a major corporation would make a transparently "un-green" "attraction". Sure rides use water, gas, and electricity, but those impacts are hidden/removed from the experience.

Good point. Perhaps they will recyle the logs from around Bay Lake for such spectacular sights as log-rolling across World Showcase lagoon and pole climbing races (maybe in kilts or possibly high heels, suspenders and a bra :D).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom