entrance change to the seas w/nemo

erasure fan1

Original Poster
Just got back from Epcot and just wanted to point out that there was a small change to the entrance area. The spot outside were you can take pictures with all the finding Nemo statues, has been completely landscaped over. The characters are all still there (except the little pink octopus) you just cant get up and walk around them. You can now only stand on the ledge. It was changed sometime yesterday. Just wanted to give a small heads up. I will say while it kind of stinks that you cant get right up and snap a picture, it does look very nice.

So sad only 2 days left.

nemo.jpg

NewfieFan

Just got back from Epcot and just wanted to point out that there was a small change to the entrance area. The spot outside were you can take pictures with all the finding Nemo statues, has been completely landscaped over. The characters are all still there (except the little pink octopus) you just cant get up and walk around them. You can now only stand on the ledge. It was changed sometime yesterday. Just wanted to give a small heads up. I will say while it kind of stinks that you cant get right up and snap a picture, it looks very nice.

So sad only 2 days left.

Interesting! I would imagine those sea creatures would get a lot of abuse over time. I wonder is Pearl (the pink octopus) coming back?

GrumpyFan

Good, I like this change. I always thought it was tacky and in bad taste that people would climb up there and trample over everything just to get a picture next to them. It would seem obvious now, that it was never imagineering's intent for people to do this. Never understood why people couldn't stay ground level and just have the characters behind them. Of course now, this would also seem to indicate that people want a more closeup experience/photo op with these characters.

Cmdr_Crimson

While I was there in January an entire Brazillian tour group climbed all over the statues. I would have to say at least 20 or so people were on it when a CM told them to get off the statues and onto the ground...

erasure fan1

Original Poster
It would seem obvious now, that it was never imagineering's intent for people to do this. Never understood why people couldn't stay ground level and just have the characters behind them.

I agree I dont think it was their intent to have you climb in to take pics. Its a pretty big liability having people climb in. An older lady on Tue almost took a fall getting down after a picture. The way the set up was, it seemed made for people walking next to the characters, so I see why people did it. The question then is why not fully landscape it from the start? It looks a lot nicer and people obviously get it because they all sat on the front ledge without anyone having to tell them.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am surprised that his did not happen sooner. The original shell base looked more authentic but for some reason people thought that this was an open invitation to lift your kids up and let them run around the planter and treat the character statues like a jungle gym.

Thurp

When the new attraction first opened cast members were always busy asking people to come down. It looks like they finally gave up and the seashells that had been on the ground around them ended up looking like a mess.

While I understand that people like that area as a photo op, it was not meant to be climbed on.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When the new attraction first opened cast members were always busy asking people to come down. It looks like they finally gave up and the seashells that had been on the ground around them ended up looking like a mess.

While I understand that people like that area as a photo op, it was not meant to be climbed on.
Exactly. If they had meant guests to be up there they would have installed stairs.

Buried20KLeague

This spot (and the climbing issue) reminds me of how different our culture is from the Japanese. When we were over at TDL and TDS, everyone treated everything around them with complete and total respect. Very high detail and theming was literally inches away, and it was never touched. In the que for Splash Mountain there, there's a full animatronic owl right there on the path. Easily within reach. And it's NEVER touched. In the Pooh que, there are gardening and shed tools inches away, and none of them looked like they had ever been bothered. None of them had that smooth "shine" that stuff gets when it is constantly touched by human hands. Paint isn't picked away. There's not gum everywhere you look.

In the states, anything within reach is destroyed. I remember being at DL right when the subs re-opened. In the planters along the que, all the plants looked like underwater type plants. It was amazing. It looked like a coral reef, right there in the planter. The next time I went back, it was all ripped to shreds. You couldn't even tell what it had looked like before. Then on my last trip there a couple months ago, it had all been replaced by common, no frills sort of planting. Depressing.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This spot (and the climbing issue) reminds me of how different our culture is from the Japanese. When we were over at TDL and TDS, everyone treated everything around them with complete and total respect. Very high detail and theming was literally inches away, and it was never touched. In the que for Splash Mountain there, there's a full animatronic owl right there on the path. Easily within reach. And it's NEVER touched. In the Pooh que, there are gardening and shed tools inches away, and none of them looked like they had ever been bothered. None of them had that smooth "shine" that stuff gets when it is constantly touched by human hands. Paint isn't picked away. There's not gum everywhere you look.

In the states, anything within reach is destroyed. I remember being at DL right when the subs re-opened. In the planters along the que, all the plants looked like underwater type plants. It was amazing. It looked like a coral reef, right there in the planter. The next time I went back, it was all ripped to shreds. You couldn't even tell what it had looked like before. Then on my last trip there a couple months ago, it had all been replaced by common, no frills sort of planting. Depressing.
This is why we can't have nice things anymore!:lol:

juniorthomas

Closing it off is a shame. It would be nice for them to refresh it in a manner that allows for people to get close without them having to do so much maintenance on it.

jlandis44

I'm confused. What area are we discussing? Can you post a picture? I just have no idea what they are now asking me to pay to do in addition to my park admission. I certainly don't interpret this to mean that I have to pay to ride the Nemo Clamshell ride, nor do I think I have to pay to do the rest of the building. What is it now that they are charging for? Thanks!

Fantasmic

I'm confused. What area are we discussing? Can you post a picture? I just have no idea what they are now asking me to pay to do in addition to my park admission. I certainly don't interpret this to mean that I have to pay to ride the Nemo Clamshell ride, nor do I think I have to pay to do the rest of the building. What is it now that they are charging for? Thanks!

What? No-one mentioned anything about paying for anything?! They've just planted shrubs around the nemo statue to stop people ruining it. :zipit:

jlandis44

Ya know, I completely boned that up...I read the heading of the message to be "entrance CHARGE" and not "entrance CHANGE"...and I continued to read every message with that in mind...sorry! Never mind...duh.

sweetpee_1993

I'm glad to see this. I'll have to scan it but I have a pic of our boys in front of this spot on our first family trip...not IN it...and it was so much nicer before the sculptures became a jungle gym for the uncontrolled children (and adults) of the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom