Enchanted Tiki Room closing for month long refurbishment

SirLink

Keep your dole whips, but being back the fountain. One trench, a bit of pipe and a new pump will do wonders.

If memory serves me right isn't the Tiki AA from Under New Management still where the fountain "is"(read where it used to be) and don't want to move it, incase a new version of the Show gets approved?

The Empress Lilly

Jimbo's referb wish list:

1. Add the fountain. I cannot imagine this one costing much at all. The time it takes to install it and reprogram the show would be less than a week. It would add an element of depth and it mixes well with the other items on the list.

2. Move the Dole Whips to the Sunshine Tree Terrace. They already have the machines. The Dole Whip line is already so incredibly long all the time, they could probably keep both stations serving Dole Whips. Seriously, how many times have you skipped a Whip because the line was too long? Demand is high, supply is short. Plus, they always blast the rocket jet A/C at the current stand and it half melts the Dole Whips before you can get them out the window. It really takes away from the experience when you are too busy scarfing a dripping Whip to enjoy it.

3. This is the most important one, and I have stated it time and time again... ALLOW DOLE WHIPS IN THE SHOW!!! You want more income from an attraction, encourage spending along with it. Worried about messes, try using bigger cups with the Whips.

By adding these simple changes, I would venture to say that Disney could increase their combined sales at Sunshine and Aloha Island by 30%. It would encourage attendance on the attraction itself by an increase of 20%. It woud also help more popularize the Dole Whip into the culture of WDW guests and help merch sales. No brainer as far as I am concerned. These all work perfectly for Disneyland. I cannot see why they wouldn't for WDW. Oh, some of that Tiki Room 50th merch sold very very very well. Make it a relaxation station at the park instead of the dumb robot bird show. Imagine promoting it for 15-20 seconds during the Must-Do channel at the hotels. Encouraging the purchase of the "most beloved park snack in all of Walt Disney World. One of the only locations in the world where you can get a Dole Whip. Not only that, but relax and enjoy the cool show."

At that point you have built the Dole Whip brand. You have added new value to the Tiki Room. You have targeted a new audience that is virtually ignored, the traveller searching for a relaxing vacation.

Hey, is Disney marketing hiring? I have some more simple, easy, no brainer ideas to help enhance guest experience tand drive income.
I'd hire you!

Spot on, on all three counts!

Although I would maintain that the natural MK AL snack is the Citrus Swirl. Imagine, an AL with a restored Tiki, without cartoon desert claustrophobic clutter...with a restored tranquil plaza where to enjoy Citrus Swirls in the shade of palm trees...and a steel drum band playing relaxing tropical tunes...

Admiral01

Premium Member
Your argument would make sense were it not for one thing: Disney is not listening to my forum posts. They'd never delay a refurb because of me or my vacation. My attitude is the attitude of everyone who goes to Disney World and finds that a ride they wanted to go on is closed. If Disney did things based on the whims and wishes of forum posters, we'd have one heck of a different park...

Also, I can't really afford to go to WDW all that often. So yes, while we will one day return, it may not be for a while. Who knows if Tiki Room will even exist then.

I realize that my post may have sounded insensitive, and I apologize for that. After I went back and read it I could easily have sounded like I had a tone...

You personally, and your post individually, may not have delayed the refurb. And, you are obviously allowed to be bummed about the attraction not being open. I would be too. Most people don't take multiple trips to WDW per year, and many don't take annual trips. So, when something isn't operational during your trip, it can be years before you see it again. I remember being at EPCOT in October 1999, for the first time in several years, and not being able to ride Horizons. I was heading to college that following fall, so it was the last trip I would be able to take to WDW for a long time. As bummed as I was at the time, I was actually pumped to ride Horizons again after its "refurb" when I would eventually, someday return. Sadly, we all know how that one worked out...

More recently, I remember when Living with the Land was closed a few years back during my short vacation down to WDW. We were bummed. I actually called WDW to ask if the information I had was correct - and they confirmed it. They also told me that many, many people had called to complain and protest the short ride closure. Now, it is unlikely that a single complaint would delay a refurb. But, I worry that the attitude within the WDW management is that it is better to let an attraction rot than face the barrage of complaints that result from a period of closure, and that the attitude is a result of people complaining. Maybe I am wrong. But, it is something I think about.

juniorthomas

I realize that my post may have sounded insensitive, and I apologize for that. After I went back and read it I could easily have sounded like I had a tone...

You personally, and your post individually, may not have delayed the refurb. And, you are obviously allowed to be bummed about the attraction not being open. I would be too. Most people don't take multiple trips to WDW per year, and many don't take annual trips. So, when something isn't operational during your trip, it can be years before you see it again. I remember being at EPCOT in October 1999, for the first time in several years, and not being able to ride Horizons. I was heading to college that following fall, so it was the last trip I would be able to take to WDW for a long time. As bummed as I was at the time, I was actually pumped to ride Horizons again after its "refurb" when I would eventually, someday return. Sadly, we all know how that one worked out...

More recently, I remember when Living with the Land was closed a few years back during my short vacation down to WDW. We were bummed. I actually called WDW to ask if the information I had was correct - and they confirmed it. They also told me that many, many people had called to complain and protest the short ride closure. Now, it is unlikely that a single complaint would delay a refurb. But, I worry that the attitude within the WDW management is that it is better to let an attraction rot than face the barrage of complaints that result from a period of closure, and that the attitude is a result of people complaining. Maybe I am wrong. But, it is something I think about.

I appreciate the apology. My original post was purely written because this is my DD's first trip to WDW. As with any parent, I simply want her visit to be spectacular. We'll survive, as everyone else does. Just one ride, after all.

Sorry to hear about Horizons. That's probably something you don't like to talk about. Just like my Uncle passing on a Jimi Hendrix concert, saying, "I'll see him next time he comes around." Only in this instance, Jimi wasn't replaced by Mission:Space (unless he was on some cosmic level...)

I think it's unlikely management delays refurbs for reasons like that, knowing that a worn down ride would likely need even longer repairs if it completely went down. The idea of quick fixes - week long repairs or shorter - extending the life of a ride is probably much more appealing to TDO than the long hauls. I just think its strange that a ride that was "refreshed" 2 years ago would require a monthlong downtime. I suppose it's due, though.

nepalostparks

Original Poster
this thread right here is hilarious to me. Just a suggestion to everyone, maybe you should plan your vacation based on official postings, and not just unofficial rumors, as many of the people who claim to be "in the know" are not as informed as they would like to think. But like i said, just a suggestion. ;)

Not sure who this is directed at, but I started the thread after seeing the information on Disney's official website for travel agents.

Things change, and dates/refurbs are always subject to change or be cancelled completely. But I just checked, and officially, these are the dates of the refurb from that source.

MOXOMUMD

I don't mind a short refurb, but I think I might actually cry if they shut it down temporarily forever.

A good refurb that actually refurbs would be welcome, though. :)
I agree. (And will share my box of Kleenex is that happens.)

puntagordabob

Blast you and your shortened headlines!!! All I could see at first was "Tiki Room Closing" and I thought, thank god I have hated that attraction since my first time in it in 1976 when it was the Tropical Serenade. I was hoping that beautiful building would be used for something worthy of it's impressive façade...sigh...I can only hope they supply guests with guns from the Frontierland Shootin' Arcade and announce that bird shootin' season is upon us. Fingers crossed.

The Tiki Room is just fine (close to perfect!) with Jose leading the show again.... a lot of us LOVE the show which is why it is as popular as it is now for those of us who remember it as it was and for a lot of people who have had previously never seen Walt Disney's version of the show who have now come to adore it as well...

Jimbo's referb wish list:

1. Add the fountain. I cannot imagine this one costing much at all. The time it takes to install it and reprogram the show would be less than a week. It would add an element of depth and it mixes well with the other items on the list.

2. Move the Dole Whips to the Sunshine Tree Terrace. They already have the machines. The Dole Whip line is already so incredibly long all the time, they could probably keep both stations serving Dole Whips. Seriously, how many times have you skipped a Whip because the line was too long? Demand is high, supply is short. Plus, they always blast the rocket jet A/C at the current stand and it half melts the Dole Whips before you can get them out the window. It really takes away from the experience when you are too busy scarfing a dripping Whip to enjoy it.

3. This is the most important one, and I have stated it time and time again... ALLOW DOLE WHIPS IN THE SHOW!!! You want more income from an attraction, encourage spending along with it. Worried about messes, try using bigger cups with the Whips.

By adding these simple changes, I would venture to say that Disney could increase their combined sales at Sunshine and Aloha Island by 30%. It would encourage attendance on the attraction itself by an increase of 20%. It woud also help more popularize the Dole Whip into the culture of WDW guests and help merch sales. No brainer as far as I am concerned. These all work perfectly for Disneyland. I cannot see why they wouldn't for WDW. Oh, some of that Tiki Room 50th merch sold very very very well. Make it a relaxation station at the park instead of the dumb robot bird show. Imagine promoting it for 15-20 seconds during the Must-Do channel at the hotels. Encouraging the purchase of the "most beloved park snack in all of Walt Disney World. One of the only locations in the world where you can get a Dole Whip. Not only that, but relax and enjoy the cool show."

At that point you have built the Dole Whip brand. You have added new value to the Tiki Room. You have targeted a new audience that is virtually ignored, the traveller searching for a relaxing vacation.

Hey, is Disney marketing hiring? I have some more simple, easy, no brainer ideas to help enhance guest experience tand drive income.

Agree with all points... though an Orange flavored Whip is also something to be offered which would tie in with the Orange Bird.....

Dole Whips YUMMY! :)

pumpkin7

I was surprised by how many children were scared of the Tiki Gods section.
But I also noticed a few totem heads not moving their mouths properly. One was right next to us and he just constantly looked shocked... :O
And I agree with the lighting. Nothing says fake animatronic birds like entering into a room with a load of very wooden looking stuffed birds on perches, and a CM goes over and half heartedly wakes up Jose... 'Jose.... time to get up...' Lame.
Also you can see the birds in the middle that come down half way through the show and they're just sat there like taxidermy, until woah! They sing and move... and then back to being taxidermy.

PeterAlt

Tiki Birds 3: Death Match

Here's a redo I would love to see! The birds get into a verbal argument over which was better - the original show - or the New Management redo. Things get heated and the birds challenge each other to a "Death Match". The "Rocky" theme song plays as a portable boxing ring is rolled to the center of the room by hundreds of small AA Muppet birds. Gonzo is the referee.

When the bell rings, the Tiki Bird starts from both shows have at it in a bloody free for all. Feathers are flying everywhere! Bird blood spatters all over the walls! Everyone dies. The end.

Okay, somewhat inappropriate for MK, but very creative, you must admit...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom