News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Timothy_Q

I think that Indiana Jones isn't really a standard IP or franchise. It's a genre. It's a stand in for throwback adventure serial inspired works. Uncharted, Mummy, Tomb Raider, The Librarian, National Treasure, etc.

It doesn't matter how many Indiana Jones films flop or are poorly received, because "Indiana Jones" is just a stand in for "Adventure through wild ruins in a far off locale to find a mystical treasure." Generally with a bit of nazi punching mixed it. Generally the treasure is being searched for to preserve it and save the local culture and/or world.
Especially considering how little of the movies IJA actually uses/references, unlike Star Tours

RSoxNo1

My impression is from visiting about a month after it opened. The ride was outstanding. The land felt sterile and lifeless to me. I think it would have been a lot better as originally proposed. But like they do so often, they cut too much from the original plans.
The frustrating thing is this can probably be fixed with entertainment. Add a dozen+ characters over and above what's there now and make it feel like a real alien planet. Sure the bantha/dewback ride would have helped as well, but I'd look at that as comparable to the Yoshi ride in Super Nintendo World.

Magenta Panther

To say it is unnatural for dragons to speak because animals don't speak is the equivalent of saying it is unnatural for platypuses to lay eggs because mammals don't lay eggs.

Anyway, obviously Zootopia has no place in Animal Kingdom and I'm glad it's not happening.
Apparently it IS happening in the Tree of Life. Deal.

TheMaxRebo

They don’t really inquire at the park when a DAS “account” is requested. My friend brought her proof along with her of her condition and they didn’t ask for it.

I did hear a report they are checking when people go to get online and use the DAS that the person who actually got the DAS is with them

So stopping all the grandkids using it without grandma who is the one that qualifies for the DAS

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I did hear a report they are checking when people go to get online and use the DAS that the person who actually got the DAS is with them

So stopping all the grandkids using it without grandma who is the one that qualifies for the DAS
Yeah, it’s been that way since at least Covid - haven’t used the system before Covid. But my cousin has DAS and she can include up to 5 other people in her trip (I think), and it only works if those people are with her.

I love it when I’m with her, but I am shocked how unlimited it is - I wonder if they’ll eventually reduce it to like 6 rides a day or each ride only once.

MagicHappens1971

it’s how the system works post-Covid. The DAS holder has to scan their ticket first (their picture pops up) and the cast member clicks the check mark, and then the rest of the party can scan.

Obviously the DAS holder can go through to the chicken exit and leave before riding, but I’m sure 99.9% of people are not bothering to do that.

TheMaxRebo

Yeah, it’s been that way since at least Covid - haven’t used the system before Covid. But my cousin has DAS and she can include up to 5 other people in her trip (I think), and it only works if those people are with her.

I love it when I’m with her, but I am shocked how unlimited it is - I wonder if they’ll eventually reduce it to like 6 rides a day or each ride only once.

Maybe the report just came out as they saw someone caught and declined entry, not realizing it isn't new lol

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I really can't think of a practical way implement this, but it would help a lot with abuse if they could keep people with a DAS pass from riding other rides while they wait for their return times.

In theory, DAS passes are supposed to be used by people who have some physical or mental reason they can't stand (or sit Ina courtesy wheel chair) in a queue for extended periods of time. So they can go in the app and pick any ride and be given a return time for however long the queue is. So, for a 60 minute wait, your DAS return time would be 60 minutes after you booked it (technically 50 because they budget in some time for your wait in the lightning lane queue). During that hour of virtual wait time the person with the DAS pass and their party can shop or look at the scenery or just find a quiet place to sit

The problem is that people who abuse the system treat DAS as a free Genie+. They'll book a long line and then stand in a different long line while they wait since they really don't have an issue they just wanted to game the system. I know people who do this.

But if you take away the ability to stack rides like this, then that greatly reduces the benefit of a fake DAS pass thus reducing the demand for them without punishing those that actually need them

MagicHappens1971

I really can't think of a practical way implement this, but it would help a lot with abuse if they could keep people with a DAS pass from riding other rides while they wait for their return times.

In theory, DAS passes are supposed to be used by people who have some physical or mental reason they can't stand (or sit Ina courtesy wheel chair) in a queue for extended periods of time. So they can go in the app and pick any ride and be given a return time for however long the queue is. So, for a 60 minute wait, your DAS return time would be 60 minutes after you booked it (technically 50 because they budget in some time for your wait in the lightning lane queue). During that hour of virtual wait time the person with the DAS pass and their party can shop or look at the scenery or just find a quiet place to sit

The problem is that people who abuse the system treat DAS as a free Genie+. They'll book a long line and then stand in a different long line while they wait since they really don't have an issue they just wanted to game the system. I know people who do this.

But if you take away the ability to stack rides like this, then that greatly reduces the benefit of a fake DAS pass thus reducing the demand for them without punishing those that actually need them
This is crazy, aside from being beyond impractical.

WorldExplorer

It gets downplayed, but I think most people, given the option, would absolutely choose to walk around, watch whatever live entertainment is going on, shop, eat, or catch one of the characters without an established, indoor queue rather than wait in line for their ride. Waiting in super long lines is boring and sucks; most things are going to be considered preferable to it.

If Disney somehow did manage to make it so you couldn't do another ride while you have a DAS, I don't think abuse would go down much, if at all.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
This is crazy, aside from being beyond impractical.
I said right up top thats there's no good way to implement that. I just wish there was a way to cut down in abuse without also punishing those that actually do need it. If there was a way to stop it from being able to be used as a free fastpass that would be great

It gets downplayed, but I think most people, given the option, would absolutely choose to walk around, watch whatever live entertainment is going on, shop, eat, or catch one of the characters without an established, indoor queue rather than wait in line for their ride. Waiting in super long lines is boring and sucks; most things are going to be considered preferable to it.

If Disney somehow did manage to make it so you couldn't do another ride while you have a DAS, I don't think abuse would go down much, if at all.
Definitely wouldn't stop entirely, but I gotta assume a big perk that makes it worth lying is in doing two things at once. Although the only time I've ever personally used a DAS pass was with someone who legitimately needed it so I guess I don't really know what makes it worth doing as a "hack" instead

MagicHappens1971

I said right up top thats there's no good way to implement that. I just wish there was a way to cut down in abuse without also punishing those that actually do need it. If there was a way to stop it from being able to be used as a free fastpass that would be great
I just don’t know how you get to decide what “abuse” of the system is. Is kind of my point

MagicHappens1971

I swear that VQ that last forever is another way for Disney to cut down on DAS use and thus sell more ILLs.
I don’t see how you can find that conclusion. If you get into the VQ you can go to the attraction and get a DAS return time when your boarding group is called and use the Lightning Lane.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I just don’t know how you get to decide what “abuse” of the system is. Is kind of my point
Exactly why any reform to stop abuse (which I doubt is as rampant as people are saying, but I do know it's becoming an increasingly common "hack" for locals) shouldn't make it harder to actually get a DAS pass or effect how useful it is as a way for people would can't stand in long lines to avoid long lines. You really can't tell who legitimately needs it and who is faking for a free fastpass (unless you hear them Brag about it on tiktok or in the breakroom). Especially since many of the people who need DAS need it for invisible reasons like chronic pain, incontinence, or mental health problems.

The only clear cut "abuse" is people who lie about not being able to wait in 2 hour lines, but then wait in 2 hour lines while using DAS to virtually wait in a different line at the same time. But there's no practical way to stop that without just punishing all DAS users.

mattpeto

I certainly want disabled guests be able to enjoy the parks and skip the lines. There is no question in my mind that on principle, a DAS system is inclusive and makes WDW a welcoming place for all and those are less fortunate than others.

I do think the honor system just simply isn't cutting it. They have make the criteria more challenging for guests to obtain it.

@MagicHappens1971 - what do you propose?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom