News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

James Alucobond

As a sidebar, I do think it's pretty funny that modern Disney can't even build a carousel without cramming IP into it.
Uh, aren't most of the carousels tied to an IP? They're generally either themed to the host castle (Cinderella, Prince Charming) or King Arthur to tie into the Sword in the Stone, which is usually nearby. I think Shanghai's is Fantasia. Some rely less on the source IP and more on the surrounding architecture as an imagined ride that might occupy a fair in the same fantasy world, but they generally do have a touch of Disney IP so that they're more than just a carousel.

Quietmouse

The irony of hating ip based attractions when Disney land was built in order to promote walts companies featured films.

The castles are based off ips, should we get rid of them too?

Y’all need to more straight forward with your opinions on ips, because y’all can’t say well I love fantasy land ips because they are classic - but hate the new ips because I can’t relate to them like I did when I was a kid.

There is way too much wishy washy on this subject and it’s somewhat irritating. I don’t care if Disney shoves an ip in every attraction because:

1) it’s there company and they can do what they want. Yes they need to cater the park to their fans, but this board is a sub section of a sub section with some of the most hard core Disney fans there are on the planet.

2) ips make attractions more enjoyable. Yes, it should connect into the theming done in the right way…but if jungle cruise was themed to a lion king tie in, I can guarantee you that the que would be stretching past out adventure land.

TrainsOfDisney

Y’all need to more straight forward with your opinions on ips, because y’all can’t say well I love fantasy land ips because they are classic - but hate the new ips because I can’t relate to them like I did when I was a kid.
Well “we’all” have our own opinions - it’s not wishy-washy, we all have different views.

Fantasyland IP’s fit because they are in fantasyland - not because they are “classic” - any Disney princess would automatically fit in fantasyland - tangled, frozen, Moana, etc. - new IP in fantasyland would be great.

Schmidt

The irony of hating ip based attractions when Disney land was built in order to promote walts companies featured films.

The castles are based off ips, should we get rid of them too?

There is way too much wishy washy on this subject and it’s somewhat irritating. I don’t care if Disney shoves an ip in every attraction because:

1) it’s there company and they can do what they want. Yes they need to cater the park to their fans, but this board is a sub section of a sub section with some of the most hard core Disney fans there are on the planet.

2) ips make attractions more enjoyable. Yes, it should connect into the theming done in the right way…but if jungle cruise was themed to a lion king tie in, I can guarantee you that the que would be stretching past out adventure land.
Well said, but you are trying to have a rationale conversation with people who have no interest in doing so.
Don’t get me wrong you will get some good information at wdwmagic, but there is a lot more baseless bias and bad information. This place isn’t what it was.
This train guy is the worst. He tried to make an argument about Transformers essentially being on par with Rise. After a long conversation he admits he doesn’t even remember the ride. My point is I wouldnt be surprised if this guy was a paid shill or someone with an axe to grind. Regardless he isn’t transparent and he hates everything Disney.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

This train guy is the worst.

My point is I wouldnt be surprised if this guy was a paid shill or someone with an axe to grind. Regardless he isn’t transparent and he hates everything Disney.
Hey there :) - I love Disney! The parks especially. What do you feel I’m not transparent about?

You just recently started posting regularly so maybe you only saw recent posts that were overly negative - I can assure you I’m a huge fan of the Disney Parks and the history of the company :)

lazyboy97o

Uh, aren't most of the carousels tied to an IP? They're generally either themed to the host castle (Cinderella, Prince Charming) or King Arthur to tie into the Sword in the Stone, which is usually nearby. I think Shanghai's is Fantasia. Some rely less on the source IP and more on the surrounding architecture as an imagined ride that might occupy a fair in the same fantasy world, but they generally do have a touch of Disney IP so that they're more than just a carousel.
Sword in the Stone didn’t hit theaters until 1963, well after King Arthur Carrousel opened, and doesn’t feature Lancelot (Le Carrousel du Lancelot).

Quietmouse

This is the pettiness we have gotten to. If y’all want attractions that aren’t based off ips, then come to the Midwest. We have a bunch of parks with theming that consists of chain link fences and stuff glued together from Michaels and hobby and lobby with attractions with no ips because they can’t afford the licensing.

TrainsOfDisney

This is the pettiness we have gotten to. If y’all want attractions that aren’t based off ips, then come to the Midwest. We have a bunch of parks with theming that consists of chain link fences and stuff glued together from Michaels and hobby and lobby with attractions with no ips because they can’t afford the licensing.
Do you mean Silver Dollar City? Cause they are a great example of what a theme park can be - and you can still see portions of the Osbourne Lights there!

Quietmouse

Do you mean Silver Dollar City? Cause they are a great example of what a theme park can be - and you can still see portions of the Osbourne Lights there!

That’s actually an exception.

Talking more about six flags, ceded fair, any of the kings island/kings dominion parks, holiday world etc.

A lot of Midwest parks don’t have ips a because they just don’t have the money to afford licensing.

Also the theming, they are better of when they don’t try, because when they do it looks like a 3rd grade art project.

That’s the biggest issue I had when I returned from my trips to Disney world, it made my home theme park look like a rats nest when it came to theming. It definitely spoils you.

lazyboy97o

That’s quite the non sequitur you’ve got there.

osian

That’s actually an exception.

Talking more about six flags, ceded fair, any of the kings island/kings dominion parks, holiday world etc.

A lot of Midwest parks don’t have ips a because they just don’t have the money to afford licensing.

Also the theming, they are better of when they don’t try, because when they do it looks like a 3rd grade art project.

That’s the biggest issue I had when I returned from my trips to Disney world, it made my home theme park look like a rats nest when it came to theming. It definitely spoils you.
Do you think that Disney can only do theming well when it's based on an IP, and therefore that parks that do not use IP can never have good theming?

Book a trip to Europe, now!

cjkeating

As a sidebar, I do think it's pretty funny that modern Disney can't even build a carousel without cramming IP into it.
The problem I have with the IP on the carousel is that some of the animals (Timon from the Lion King, Eyore from Winnie the Pooh) have nothing to do with Tropical Americas.
I am sure my view is going to be quite niche on here but when I think of which of the three rides in Tropical America's is the "most DAK" then I think it's going to be the carousel...

I know it's a bit meta [which is a failing of Dinorama in connecting with guests] but 'local tradesman builds knock off Disney IP carousel for his towns people' is literally the most DAK it can get. How many of these things do you think Joe Rohde and co saw on their research travels? It is far more authentic to DAK than a magical house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom