News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

AidenRodriguez731

1. We are also losing the Boneyard
2. We are also seeing money spent to lose a perfectly quality ITTBAB show for a lateral move to Zootopia
3. Sure, adding Encanto is an improvement over the current Dinorama including and increase in capacity. But that would be true with almost anything they would have built there including (for example) putting something themed to dinosaurs like the Excavator coaster
4. There's tons of expansion land in DAK that can be used without touching any animal enclosures. There's a massive plot north of Asia that could fit multiple lands if desired. But even short term, they could add stuff to Pandora or Africa or even the current Dinoland or Asia without closing existing attractions. They are just choosing not to do that but instead replace. As has been typical for WDW for years. sigh
I agree the loss of the Boneyard is a bit sad, I would have liked to see a new playstructure or heck even implement another archaeology dig nearby Indiana Jones.

ITTBAB was a scarier show for kids that wasn't all that well liked. While I don't think Zootopia is a great replacement overall because I think Zootopia doesn't lend itself to a show as well as something like a ride, it makes enough sense to replace. If it was up to me I would replace the show as well but add in a Bug's Life Land to flesh out Animal Kingdom with a ton more flatrides + a high quality Bugs Life dark ride but that's just me.

As cool as Excavator coaster would be, it's not necessarily a great business decision due to its somewhat similarity to BTM, lack of IP, and imo somewhat lack of a wow factor. There's moments in a lot of the new Disney ride that like to build up to a particular "wow" moment or be hyper themed. Excavator doesn't have that imo since you're going through an old dig site + dino bones.

Great to hear theres expansion space :) the problem is getting people over to it was its currently blocked by stuff like Kali. I think they just want to focus right now in making the current stuff the best version it can be then working on expanding the parks. Again, ideal world would give us a ton of possible areas to put in Animal Kingdom. The problem is logistics. Since I wasn't a fan of Dinoland USA, I don't mind it going down completely. I liked Dinosaur but Indiana Jones looks so much better.

KDM31091

I agree the loss of the Boneyard is a bit sad, I would have liked to see a new playstructure or heck even implement another archaeology dig nearby Indiana Jones.

ITTBAB was a scarier show for kids that wasn't all that well liked. While I don't think Zootopia is a great replacement overall because I think Zootopia doesn't lend itself to a show as well as something like a ride, it makes enough sense to replace. If it was up to me I would replace the show as well but add in a Bug's Life Land to flesh out Animal Kingdom with a ton more flatrides + a high quality Bugs Life dark ride but that's just me.

As cool as Excavator coaster would be, it's not necessarily a great business decision due to its somewhat similarity to BTM, lack of IP, and imo somewhat lack of a wow factor. There's moments in a lot of the new Disney ride that like to build up to a particular "wow" moment or be hyper themed. Excavator doesn't have that imo since you're going through an old dig site + dino bones.

Great to hear theres expansion space :) the problem is getting people over to it was its currently blocked by stuff like Kali. I think they just want to focus right now in making the current stuff the best version it can be then working on expanding the parks. Again, ideal world would give us a ton of possible areas to put in Animal Kingdom. The problem is logistics. Since I wasn't a fan of Dinoland USA, I don't mind it going down completely. I liked Dinosaur but Indiana Jones looks so much better.
There’s also the fact that bugs in the tree trunk make perfect sense, whereas the Zootopia thing is a much looser fit.

ednamodedarling

I wonder if maybe Moana is being reconsidered for DAK again? They continue to market Moana 2 as an adventure exploring the waters & encountering mysterious/unique creatures of the deep ... which I would not be mad at a Oceiana land/Moana attraction where Nemo currently sits.

I also wonder if UP could have a greater presence at DAK? Maybe some type of larger scale stage show to replace nemo or a Paradise Falls based attraction? They always are using Kevin as a mascot of sorts for the park.

doctornick

Of course. But what’s happening is happening, and it’s okay (and not inherently inconsistent) for people to weigh the losses and benefits differently.

Absolutely. I'd personally fall into the category of "Tropical Americas will make DAK a better park" and that's a positive. I just think it isn't the ideal plan as expansion elsewhere first would I think be better than taking Dinosaur and TS off line. But in general, I don't have a problem with Tropical Americas expect for the short term issues it would have with DAK.

I'd prefer dinosaurs be kept in the park, but wouldn't die on that hill.

I do think Zootopia replacing ITTBAB is a waste of resources though. But I love ITTBAB (easily my favorite 4D show at Disney or any park)

I have much more issues with the MK and DHS plans than with is slated for DAK. Removing the RoA and MuppetVision to me are not justifiable in the same way that removing Dinorama is.

Grantwil93

Gotta wonder, how long does a space formerly occupied by an attraction need to be empty for it to be considered a capacity expansion? Primeval Whirl would have been closed for 7 years by the time Encanto opens. Wonders of Life has been closed for 17 years and Stitch 7 years, so if anything opens in those spaces, I'd consider it a capacity expansion. For me, any space closed for a significant amount time (5+ years) being used for a new attraction is an expansion
A lateral move in terms of capacity would be something like Winnie the Pooh taking over Mr. Toad or Guardians replacing Ellen, or RR replacing Great Movie Ride

The Encanto attraction is new capacity as far as Dak operations are concerned. Even if you don't discount Primeval, that ride still was barely visted and usually only operating 1 of its 2 loading areas. A family dark ride is still a big addition.

Grantwil93

Absolutely. I'd personally fall into the category of "Tropical Americas will make DAK a better park" and that's a positive. I just think it isn't the ideal plan as expansion elsewhere first would I think be better than taking Dinosaur and TS off line. But in general, I don't have a problem with Tropical Americas expect for the short term issues it would have with DAK.

I'd prefer dinosaurs be kept in the park, but wouldn't die on that hill.

I do think Zootopia replacing ITTBAB is a waste of resources though. But I love ITTBAB (easily my favorite 4D show at Disney or any park)

I have much more issues with the MK and DHS plans than with is slated for DAK. Removing the RoA and MuppetVision to me are not justifiable in the same way that removing Dinorama is.
I love it too, but I've seen so many traumatized kids come out of it. A theater show can eat up crowds if kids and families have interest in it. I don't like zootopia going there, but replacing the bugs is an idea I can get behind.

Grantwil93

Sure. But that doesn't mean it has to take Dinosaur/Boneyard/Restaurantasaurus down with it.

People love dinosaurs. There's absolutely room for attractions involving dinosaurs at DAK. It's unfortunate to lose that simply because there is no good IP that Disney owns that features such majestic creatures.
I think the bigger issue is Disney has just given up on Dinosaurs. Jurassic Park has the teens/adults and there is now a swath of children's programming and games set within that franchise that is very popular. It's now an all ages IP.

With the IP mandate in place, Disney has no way to really make dinosaurs work. Which is stupid, but unless you get leadership that relaxes the IP mandate, you can really only pull Dinosaurs from something like Marvel's savage lands. Which is a concept ppl have brought up here, but it would still need to be used successfully in media outside of the comics first.

Grantwil93

The boneyard is the only thing about this that I find tragic, because it's the last of the great "burn energy" spaces that WDW had. Huge playgrounds do serve a good purpose and it's sad that they are going extinct

Bocabear

The boneyard is the only thing about this that I find tragic, because it's the last of the great "burn energy" spaces that WDW had. Huge playgrounds do serve a good purpose and it's sad that they are going extinct
Well maybe they will tear out something else to put in an "Event Lawn" or "Flex Space" so the kids have someplace to run around....

Marc Davis Fan

To return to a topic that we started discussing but faded away...

What are insiders' thoughts on the scale of the Encanto attraction? Is this an Avenger's Campus situation where the e-ticket is the Dinosaur re-theme and Encanto is a C or D, or are we expecting Encanto to be a truly major attraction?

My sense is the latter, considering (a) the show building's size in the model as discussed earlier in this tread, (b) the overall scale of the land's re-theme, and (c) the extent to which they're seeking to bump DAK's attendance.

Last edited:

RosR9

What are insiders' thoughts on the scale of the Encanto attraction? Is this an Avenger's Campus situation where the e-ticket is the Dinosaur re-theme and Encanto is a C or D, or are we expecting Encanto to be a truly major attraction?

My sense is the latter, considering (a) the show building's size in the model as discussed earlier in this tread, (b) the overall scale of the land's re-theme, and (c) the extent to which they're seeking to bump DAK's attendance.
My prediction is Encanto will be the scale of Little Mermaid in MK, Encanto itself will be a draw for families so they don’t need to make it jaw dropping, and Indy is their E ticket

Starship824

In the Parks
No

I'm guessing that Encanto is an E ticket, that show building is massive.

Moth

Leaning towards a very good D ticket rn. Maybe an E?

Shocked Rio and UP didn't make the cut for this land at all.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Shocked Rio and UP didn't make the cut for this land at all.

Are we 100% certain there isn't a "Blu" figure on the carousel? It would/could be a subtle/logical place to get some of the Blue Sky characters into the park. Personally, I'm hoping to see a Kuzco llama on the carousel... really not sure how else they could incorporate Rio, Up, and/or Emperor's New Groove into Animal Kingdom (other than some smaller/subtle nods). (though I do love @lentesta's idea of the Emperor's New Groove themed llama enclosure...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom