News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

DCLcruiser

There's stuff being staged behind the Dinosaur show building. Not sure if it's directly tied to the Tropical Americas replacement expansion, but interesting stuff regardless.

Looks to be some A/C units, construction lifts, and dumpsters?

August 18, 2024:
View attachment 810667
April 2024:
View attachment 810668

Source and pics:

At least we can see exactly where the asteroid hit the roof.

Grantwil93

I really like Dinosaur, but the Indy and overall retheme makes a lot of sense. Dinoland doesn't really fit in with the rest of the park (which is my favorite designed of all WDW parks).

I would love in the future to have a big budget dinosaur land back in AK, but that likely requires a successful Disney-owned IP tie-in to make happen.
Or a shift in philosophy at the top, which is possible. Just not under Iger.

Thought the latest D23 was at least a shift in the right direction. No clones, same ip but different concepts is a small improvement

BlakeW39

For what it's worth. Disney does actually have an IP that might work for bringing dinosaurs back to the park. In the Marvel Universe there's a very popular location called the Savage Land. It's basically a lost world filled with dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures. If a Marvel movie or live action TV series were to ever use this location, it could be fair game for a land at Animal Kingdom. Not saying it's super likely to happen, but if Marvel does end up using the location in live action (which is pretty likely seeing how frequently it shows up in comics), I'd say the chances are better than zero.

Of course, an original land would be better but that's not really likely to happen for at least another 10-15 years imo. If not more

Brer Panther

Is Savage Land at all represented in Islands of Adventure's Marvel land?

I'm not familiar with it at all, but if it keeps dinosaurs in Animal Kingdom, I'm all for it.

Surferboy567

Was watching a few videos about some media that was able to take a hands off sneak peek of Indiana Jones and the Great Circle. Lots of new information in there but something did jump out at me. Apparently the game starts in Marshall College where Indy is a professor. When you open Indy’s adventure book in the game (seems like a journal that contains messages) toward the beginning of the game according to this media account you will actually find the map to the temple of the forbidden eye from the attraction in Disneyland.

Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull: Unspecified 1930’s
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: 1935
Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye: 1935
Raiders of the Lost Ark: 1936
Indiana Jones and the Golden Circle: 1937
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: 1938
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: 1957
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: 1969
Not directly related to WDW but interesting.

BlakeW39

I'm not familiar with it at all, but if it keeps dinosaurs in Animal Kingdom, I'm all for it.

No, it's not represented in IOA.

If you aren't familiar with it, the Savage Land is a location typically featured in X-Men comics. Actually there's a Wolverine comic coming out in a few days that's taking place there. If Marvel wants to keep promoting the X-Men so much, which they almost certainly do, then the Savage Land is likely to show up in a movie or live action TV series, and if it's popular then they might consider it for a theme park land (emphasis on might, though, because I'd say the chances are still pretty low).

I'd prefer a prehistoric land at DAK not be based on an IP of course, especially because in the Savage Land dinosaurs are usually just there to fight the superheroes, BUT this is a way to get dinosaurs back into the park, the only way I can really think of atm considering the IP mandate.

tcool123

Last year at Epcot in one of the stores (Disney Trader?) , they had on display four banners of different Marvel locations that you could visit ala “Come Explore ___” and Savage Land was one of these locations. It wasn’t merch but part of the decor for the store - it was very short lived, at least I think it was haven’t noticed it since.
IMG_1546.jpeg

WorldExplorer

Dinoland has officially fallen into the "screw you and your full priced ticket; we're removing it so we don't care" stage. Some of the signs look atrocious and at least two are visibly falling apart.

Large images under a spoiler tag so you can see how bad they look:
PXL_20240821_182608301.jpg

PXL_20240821_173708941.jpg

Here's what they're SUPPOSED to look like:
1724270680605.png

1724270419314.png

I know my phone camera isn't the best quality, but I hope the point gets across, the difference is very visible in person. Note that the cart has lost all of its flying shopping dinos. If you told me the current images were from some abandoned, actual Route 66 roadside attraction I would believe you.

The pin truck sign has been broken for weeks, the entrance sign is crumbling and Cementosaurus has a black crack on his neck;

PXL_20240807_152357934.jpg
Screenshot_20240821-160854.png
Screenshot_20240821-160913.png

Why does everything need to end on a sad note, limping to the finish line? Rama's already lost half of the stuff it used to have (the photo booth seems to be broken, too) and it relies heavily on that signage, that's most of its' theming! And we're not talking about complex animatronics here, most of this is fixed with paint.

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

It's supposed to look like an attraction that's still running, not one that's been sitting empty in the woods for a long time and had pieces ripped off by bored local explorers.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the asteroid replaced very early on in the attraction's life? It's definitely not a recent change. I do agree the animatronics aren't well maintained and break often, though at least so far they have been repairing them it seems. The sauropod was broken for awhile but has been fixed. One of the carnotaurous was broken too but only briefly. The pterodactyl hasn't moved in many years so I don't really call it broken; it's intentionally shut off.

I wish they'd just infuse capital into it and make it fresh without getting rid of the Dinosaur theme. People love dinosaurs. It doesn't have to be IP to be popular. But hopefully the Indiana Jones ride will feature a better quality than Dinosaur has been relegated to lately. That said -- given recent track record, I'm definitely skeptical. It could just be a cheap reskin with a bunch of screens.

Let me rephrase. I am not a proponent of replacing Dinosaur with movie IP. God knows we do not need any more of that trash. Disney should be replacing Dinosaur with an original attraction that keeps the dinosaur theme. And I'm not giving them a pass on that like many others on this board will. Just because Disney won't do the right thing does not mean we should stop criticizing them for it.

Anyone who says criticizing the IP mandate is "beating a dead horse" or "pointless" both fails to understand the function of criticism to begin with AND overestimates the longevity of such a mandate in a company that consistently damages the IPs they currently have, whilst failing to create new ones.

But that doesn't change the fact that Dinosaur as it currently stands is a significantly worse attraction than it was at opening. And that isn't due to poor maintenance, like other attractions. Disney made Dinosaur worse on purpose because they felt the original attraction was too scary. It is the Stitch to CTX's Alien Encounter.

The current version isn't worth saving and I won't mourn it. I'm more concerned with what's replacing Dinosaur than I am with Dinosaur being gone in the first place.

Last edited:

KDM31091

From asking cast members around Dinoland to guest services, I’ve not run across anyone who seems even slightly excited about this change. Of course they won’t outright criticize it, but you can tell there’s no enthusiasm there. Read the room Disney, people don’t want you to get rid of Dinoland. Stop shooting yourself in the foot with controversial, poor decisions such as this, potentially getting rid of Muppets, Rivers of America, even Tiana hasn’t worked out well so far. Stop removing everything that people love. Just put money into Dinoland, make it even better, use original ideas.

I know it won’t happen but it’s kind of amazing to me that they think this is what people want.

Gusey

From asking cast members around Dinoland to guest services, I’ve not run across anyone who seems even slightly excited about this change. Of course they won’t outright criticize it, but you can tell there’s no enthusiasm there. Read the room Disney, people don’t want you to get rid of Dinoland. Stop shooting yourself in the foot with controversial, poor decisions such as this, potentially getting rid of Muppets, Rivers of America, even Tiana hasn’t worked out well so far. Stop removing everything that people love. Just put money into Dinoland, make it even better, use original ideas.

I know it won’t happen but it’s kind of amazing to me that they think this is what people want.
Here's someone who is really excited about this change. We're getting:
  • a completely original land that is not based on a single-IP
  • we get to keep the thrill ride system of Dinosaur, but with an Indiana Jones overlay tied to Mayan mythical creatures
  • a family dark ride replacing an off-the-shelf coaster, adding more for all ages to do at the park
  • a well-themed flat ride, the first flat-ride to open at a Domestic Disney Park since 2019 (Emotional Whirlwind & Jessie's Critter Carousel)
  • South America actually being represented at a WDW park

KDM31091

• we get to keep the thrill ride system of Dinosaur, but with an Indiana Jones overlay tied to Mayan mythical creatures
  • a family dark ride replacing an off-the-shelf coaster, adding more for all ages to do at the park
  • a well-themed flat ride, the first flat-ride to open at a Domestic Disney Park since 2019 (Emotional Whirlwind & Jessie's Critter Carousel)
Fair points, just wish it were an actual expansion instead of just more lateral moves in terms of capacity.

bwr827

Dinoland is pretty famously the weak link of Animal Kingdom.

You seem to mostly complain about Disney things. Maybe the cast members picked up on your vibes and didn’t want to upset your magical day.

Prince-1

I think they were all just being nice to you so that you would walk away. 🤷‍♂️

KDM31091

Dinoland is pretty famously the weak link of Animal Kingdom.

You seem to mostly complain about Disney things. Maybe the cast members picked up on your vibes and didn’t want to upset your magical day.
It’s not like I walked up to them all rudely and said omg this sucks I hate everything. Just said I’m disappointed about the changes.

And yes, unfortunately, of late there’s a lot to complain about with recent projects. But I still love the parks, primarily the classic attractions but there’s some bright spots in the newer ones

Gusey

Fair points, just wish it were an actual expansion instead of just more lateral moves in terms of capacity.
Gotta wonder, how long does a space formerly occupied by an attraction need to be empty for it to be considered a capacity expansion? Primeval Whirl would have been closed for 7 years by the time Encanto opens. Wonders of Life has been closed for 17 years and Stitch 7 years, so if anything opens in those spaces, I'd consider it a capacity expansion. For me, any space closed for a significant amount time (5+ years) being used for a new attraction is an expansion

doctornick

I think all these points are correct.

Dinorama is an eyesore and needs to go. Replacing that with a higher quality is a win.

Having Latin American representation in the park and a seemingly cohesive land is a win.

Losing Dinosaur (the ride) and the presence of dinosaurs (in general) in WDW and DAK is a big loss.

For the amount of money being spent, we should be seeing a large capacity increase at DAK, but we won't. Instead is just more replacement when we need additions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom