News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

DarkMetroid567

Don't forget: that was a rollercoaster just a few years ago. And you're losing the Boneyard, plus the games, which weren't massive people eaters but they were SOMETHING.

So you're not really adding any capacity at all.

The capacity of the Primeval Whirls was bad, like, Really bad. Especially considering it became rare to see both sides operating and the thing was such a PoS that no one rode it.

ChewbaccaYourMum

When Disney fixes something without adding capacity (Tropical Americas) people complain they're not adding capacity

When Disney adds capacity (Rat, Tron, Pandora) people complain they're not fixing things (SGE, Figment, WoL, etc)
I wish I could 'like' this more than once.

Also, I'd like to add to that: When Disney is adding things or fixing things people complain that there's walls and construction everywhere!

Last edited:

Grantwil93

The capacity of the Primeval Whirls was bad, like, Really bad. Especially considering it became rare to see both sides operating and the thing was such a PoS that no one rode it.
Also, while I get the argument that Encanto=Primeval Whirl in terms of being a lateral move to capacity. Attraction number wise at least.

I just disagree.

On June 17, 2019, the ride was reduced to seasonal operation, and later in September, park officials stated that the attraction would only be operating on a seasonal basis. On July 16, 2020, officials confirmed that the attraction would not re-open after various speculation.

since 2019 this hasn't been a fully operating ride. And essentially ever since reopening for covid, it's not existed. What will end up as 6+ years without a ride being in that spot isn't a lateral move for capacity.

replacing an empty spot with, by all rumors, an omnimover? That's a huge win for capacity. DAK getting an E-Ticket(in terms of guest draw) omnimover will help that park beyond belief imo.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
When Disney fixes something without adding capacity (Tropical Americas) people complain they're not adding capacity

When Disney adds capacity (Rat, Tron, Pandora) people complain they're not fixing things (SGE, Figment, WoL, etc)

Disney can fix up attractions, while also adding new attractions that don’t replace / retheme / take over what’s already loved.

For me, I only hear people complain when there’s too many walls up at once, kinda of like Disneylands current state (space down, railroad down, splash down, etc). I can’t say I’ve ever heard mass Hysteria about new experiences that aren’t controversial takeovers, unless that new experience is just awful.

SpectroMagician

Don't forget: that was a rollercoaster just a few years ago. And you're losing the Boneyard, plus the games, which weren't massive people eaters but they were SOMETHING.

So you're not really adding any capacity at all.

Well that "roller coaster" as pretty terrible so not sad about it being gone, but your point about not adding any capacity at all is 100% true. Basically Disney has not added anything net new in years now.

KDM31091

Disney can fix up attractions, while also adding new attractions that don’t replace / retheme / take over what’s already loved.

For me, I only hear people complain when there’s too many walls up at once, kinda of like Disneylands current state (space down, railroad down, splash down, etc). I can’t say I’ve ever heard mass Hysteria about new experiences that aren’t controversial takeovers, unless that new experience is just awful.
Exactly. I don’t want to ride Tron and I didn’t enjoy Rat, but hey, they replaced nothing, so who cares.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I realize that Chester and Hester was a cheap compromise and not meant to last and so I try and put aside my bias towards it and accept it leaving. Completely reskinning all of the land, though, I think is way overkill and a waste of effort and money, especially in a park with so little to do. Dinosaur, Boneyard, and Restraunt O'saurus are fine and form a coherent area together, and they're spending a lot of money to screw with/remove them instead of building something else.
I totally get it and I don’t disagree that this would not have been my top priority for AK. With an unlimited budget I would have done this plus add 3-5 new attractions. A new land (behind Asia) with 2 major attractions and shops, restaurants, shows, etc, a lion king ride in Africa and 1 or 2 minor attractions to fill out the day. With all that added maybe we would need a new nighttime show and later park hours too :). Since there’s never an unlimited budget and they allocated more of the capital budget this time around to MK, I would have prioritized a new land for AK first then the stand alone rides and this project last. I do get that a new land would cost much more than this project which is almost certainly why they opted for this.

DarkMetroid567

People rode it. It had a Fastpass! It was also “the spin cycle” on must-dos so everyone had to do it! IYKYK

Its hourly capacity was a little more than Peter Pan.
People definitely rode it, but it really wasn’t too popular. It also had pretty bad operations and a ton of downtime, which is why the hourly capacity was likely a lot worse than its theoretical.

Grantwil93

I don't see how the park will even survive with Dinoland & Bugs Life closed when it has so little to do. I know this has been repeated ad nauseum but they should be adding to the park, not just reskinning and replacing.
I'm guessing it's possible that Dinosaur will stay open until Zootopia opens. Or close to it. 16 months is generally the timeline on reskins recently so they might leave it open longer than we think and do all the other work until then.

It's also possible they add extra showtimes to the shows in the park to try to compensate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't see how the park will even survive with Dinoland & Bugs Life closed when it has so little to do. I know this has been repeated ad nauseum but they should be adding to the park, not just reskinning and replacing.
My guess is that Dinosaur will stay open at least through 2025 along with restaurantasaurus and maybe boneyard while the carnival area closes. So they will “only” lose 1 low capacity ride and some carnival games plus the theater show. Zootopia opens end of 2025. Dinosaur to Indy should “only” take 18 months so could close early 2026 after the holiday season and after Zootopia is back. If it’s ready Encanto and area could open before Indy (similar to FLE where Mine Train was later or SWGE where RoTR came later).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm guessing it's possible that Dinosaur will stay open until Zootopia opens. Or close to it. 16 months is generally the timeline on reskins recently so they might leave it open longer than we think and do all the other work until then.

It's also possible they add extra showtimes to the shows in the park to try to compensate.
I type slower ;););)

Timothy_Q

I know this has been repeated ad nauseum but they should be adding to the park, not just reskinning and replacing.
The way I see it Disney has finally "completed" the park as it was originally envisoned for opening day had it not been for the DLP cutbacks across the entire company that essentially left half of the park on the cutting room floor

Pandora fulfilled Beastly Kingdom's part
Tropical Americas fulfilled the original plans for Dinoland that featured 2 signature rides and a land that felt cohesive with the rest of the park in terms of scope and quality

It took decades, but DAK will finally have 4 full fledged lands around a hub
After this there will be nothing left to fix and they can focus on actual additions, hopefully starting with the Lion King ride

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The way I see it Disney has finally "completed" the park as it was originally envisoned for opening day had it not been for the DLP cutbacks across the entire company that essentially left half of the park on the cutting room floor

Pandora fulfilled Beastly Kingdom's part
Tropical Americas fulfilled the original plans for Dinoland that featured 2 signature rides and a land that felt cohesive with the rest of the park in terms of scope and quality

It took decades, but DAK will finally have 4 full fledged lands around a hub
After this there will be nothing left to fix and they can focus on actual additions, hopefully starting with the Lion King ride
Let’s hope it doesn’t take decades more to get to the 5th full land (no Rafiki doesn’t count) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I 100% agree that Tropical Americas looks like it will be so much more cohesive with the rest of the park. Lion King ride makes sooooo much sense. Each land would have 2 main rides with most having a show or smaller attractions sprinkled in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom