News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

WorldExplorer

So billions in investment to add a single D-ticket ride? Re-skinning Countdown to Extinction is not adding anything to the park...

Don't forget: that was a rollercoaster just a few years ago. And you're losing the Boneyard, plus the games, which weren't massive people eaters but they were SOMETHING.

So you're not really adding any capacity at all.

I dont think they really feel like they need to add animals to this area. The existing site doesn't have anything beyond the crocodile.

There's a tortoise and vulture on the other side of the crocodile. Not that I've ever managed to spot the tortoise...

KDM31091

What are the chances we get at least a nod to dinosaurs or perhaps one animatronic in the new ride?

I know I'm dying on this hill, but for the park to have zero dinosaur representation just seems crazy, unless there's going to be a dinosaur figure on the carousel.

co10064

Premium Member
No doubt I am excited about this land… but does this really move the needle for anyone in terms of booking a trip or inspiring first-time visitors? Or is it more about improving guest satisfaction?

I just can’t see this doing what Pandora did for DAK attendance when it first opened.

James Alucobond

No doubt I am excited about this land… but does this really move the needle for anyone in terms of booking a trip or inspiring first-time visitors? Or is it more about improving guest satisfaction?

I just can’t see this doing what Pandora did for DAK attendance when it first opened.
I think the goal is probably to encourage better distribution of guests throughout the park. No one stays in Dinoland very long. It's in and out for Dinosaur, if that. Meanwhile, a disproportionate number of people hang out in Pandora, which can clog things like Na'vi River and Satu'li beyond what they're meant to support. I honestly think the Encanto ride is a great move since it should be able to be designed with excellent capacity in mind and will be indoors, making it an attractive alternative to anyone thinking about waiting in an overly long line for Na'vi. Additionally, though Restaurantosaurus is excellently themed, I think they'll ultimately attract more diners with Central and South American options.

It continues the trend of Animal Kingdom being the only Disney Park I feel comfortable going to and just chilling out in. I enjoy just being there. I can’t say the same for the other parks which promote more stressful feelings. The artwork shows an area I would love to sit and draw or take my time and people watch.
So I dig it. It just so happens there are some more rides as well. (One reskin, two new)

KDM31091

Agreed. I think Indy is generally seen as old news, been there done that kind of property. Not that that means it's unpopular of course. But, do I foresee a turnout like Pandora? No. Especially when the ride is not fundamentally any different, so people who don't like Dinosaur for motion reasons still won't like Indy.

KDM31091

Don't forget: that was a rollercoaster just a few years ago. And you're losing the Boneyard, plus the games, which weren't massive people eaters but they were SOMETHING.

There's a tortoise and vulture on the other side of the crocodile. Not that I've ever managed to spot the tortoise...
This exactly. The games are not immensely popular, but I always see at least a few people playing. At $6 a game I highly doubt they're unprofitable, and it's unusual for Disney to take out something that is seemingly easy money. Maybe they'll relocate them to Boardwalk. I can dream.

But yes, the capacity issue. The coaster, Boneyard, and Spin is to me roughly the same capacity as Encanto plus a Carousel, even considering demand levels. Boneyard is still popular. Kids ride the spinner still plenty. The coaster was moderately popular too when it was actually open anyway. So I'm not sure we are gaining much real capacity. Hopefully the area will have other diversions to keep people busy and staying there longer. The Boneyard is also unique because the time is relatively unlimited, whereas Encanto + Carousel will be a few minutes long and then you have to go do something else.

UNCgolf

I think the goal is probably to encourage better distribution of guests throughout the park. No one stays in Dinoland very long. It's in and out for Dinosaur, if that. Meanwhile, a disproportionate number of people hang out in Pandora, which can clog things like Na'vi River and Satu'li beyond what they're meant to support. I honestly think the Encanto ride is a great move since it should be able to be designed with excellent capacity in mind and will be indoors, making it an attractive alternative to anyone thinking about waiting in an overly long line for Na'vi. Additionally, though Restaurantosaurus is excellently themed, I think they'll ultimately attract more diners with Central and South American options.

I agree with everything except the last sentence -- Restaurantosaurus was always packed, because it was the kid option for burgers and chicken fingers. I think they may have a bit of a problem moving away from that.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Screenshot_20240813_201145_Samsung Internet.jpg

BrianLo

They announced a bunch of stuff for WDW at D23 and the only think that’s actually a straight addition is Villains. 🙄

It’s insane how many billions they waste running in place.

I’ve been talking about this the last few years, but this is the natural endpoint of a la carting the parks experience via paid lightening lanes/single passes.

I’ve been arguing there is a financial reason they have to actually invest in WDW, because they can be rapidly monetized in a meaningful way that isn’t just driving parks attendance (of course that’s the other way).

But it was going to lead towards heavily biasing investment in attractions they can monetize. Now that is good on one hand, I think many of us like the D/E tickets. It honestly also gives probably the best reason we’ve ever had for something to be done with Imagination. Maybe not the ideal fix, but there’s a huge corporate reason to throw money at Imagination now.

But on the the flip side, we’re losing the quiet experiences. Something like Muppets or even Bugs Life could no longer be monetized. It’s a major downside of our next investment cycle, if paid fast pass sticks, which it seems certain to do.

So while there isn’t a net capacity gain in terms of what we actually want and mean, there is a meaningful ‘lightening lane gain’. Even Dinosaur wasn’t really an attractive reason to buy LL, unlike Disneyland, where it remains one of the clear premium choices. DAK also indirectly contributes capacity to the resort, because I think the way it’s currently being run is not actually effectively utilizing the capacity it has to offer. With Encanto and Indy being a 1-2 punch of super desirable headliners (presumably, but I think that’s a safe assumption) - the hours re-expand and DAK actually helps more than simply tallying total attractions would suggest. It’s not a bad plan, per se.

I also think a night show in 2027 is almost a certainty. I also think DAK does not go that long without another investment cycle. Like 2030 if not something squeaks in earlier if the park still isn’t holding onto crowds.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

This is 100% true. Loss of Spinner, Primeval Whirl, boneyard and carnival games and gain of carousel and Encanto ride plus a retheme of Dinosaur to Indy so not much of a net change in capacity. That being said, this whole project is still a huge positive for the park. Pretty much since it opened a large number of people (me included) wanted the carnival stuff to be replaced with “something better”. This is definitely something better.

So while I agree this project does little to address capacity in a park desperately in need of more capacity it is not really the problem. There are plenty of other opportunities to expand the actual park. The lion king ride rumored is one, the expansion area behind Asia another. They probably should have added more capacity first before improving an existing area. IMHO that is the real problem.

WorldExplorer

This is 100% true. Loss of Spinner, Primeval Whirl, boneyard and carnival games and gain of carousel and Encanto ride plus a retheme of Dinosaur to Indy so not much of a net change in capacity. That being said, this whole project is still a huge positive for the park. Pretty much since it opened a large number of people (me included) wanted the carnival stuff to be replaced with “something better”. This is definitely something better.

So while I agree this project does little to address capacity in a park desperately in need of more capacity it is not really the problem. There are plenty of other opportunities to expand the actual park. The lion king ride rumored is one, the expansion area behind Asia another. They probably should have added more capacity first before improving an existing area. IMHO that is the real problem.

I realize that Chester and Hester was a cheap compromise and not meant to last and so I try and put aside my bias towards it and accept it leaving. Completely reskinning all of the land, though, I think is way overkill and a waste of effort and money, especially in a park with so little to do. Dinosaur, Boneyard, and Restraunt O'saurus are fine and form a coherent area together, and they're spending a lot of money to screw with/remove them instead of building something else.

Grantwil93

I agree with everything except the last sentence -- Restaurantosaurus was always packed, because it was the kid option for burgers and chicken fingers. I think they may have a bit of a problem moving away from that.
I think you will likely see burgers and chicken nuggets adapted into either/both Flame Tree BBQ and Pizzafari

My crackpot theory was the reason they removed the onion rings from Flame Tree to make way for the nuggets. Only so much fryer space.

Burgers I'm less sure about but I'd imagine they can figure it out. Cheeseburger pods are a fav of mine anyway

Grantwil93

I’ve been talking about this the last few years, but this is the natural endpoint of a la carting the parks experience via paid lightening lanes/single passes.

I’ve been arguing there is a financial reason they have to actually invest in WDW, because they can be rapidly monetized in a meaningful way that isn’t just driving parks attendance (of course that’s the other way).

But it was going to lead towards heavily biasing investment in attractions they can monetize. Now that is good on one hand, I think many of us like the D/E tickets. It honestly also gives probably the best reason we’ve ever had for something to be done with Imagination. Maybe not the ideal fix, but there’s a huge corporate reason to throw money at Imagination now.

But on the the flip side, we’re losing the quiet experiences. Something like Muppets or even Bugs Life could no longer be monetized. It’s a major downside of our next investment cycle, if paid fast pass sticks, which it seems certain to do.

So while there isn’t a net capacity gain in terms of what we actually want and mean, there is a meaningful ‘lightening lane gain’. Even Dinosaur wasn’t really an attractive reason to buy LL, unlike Disneyland, where it remains one of the clear premium choices. DAK also indirectly contributes capacity to the resort, because I think the way it’s currently being run is not actually effectively utilizing the capacity it has to offer. With Encanto and Indy being a 1-2 punch of super desirable headliners (presumably, but I think that’s a safe assumption) - the hours re-expand and DAK actually helps more than simply tallying total attractions would suggest. It’s not a bad plan, per se.

I also think a night show in 2027 is almost a certainty. I also think DAK does not go that long without another investment cycle. Like 2030 if not something squeaks in earlier if the park still isn’t holding onto crowds.
I'm thinking that once this new area is done, DAK will stay open till at least 8pm routinely. I hope 9pm. It'll probably not open quite as early too.

Restaurants that are dead for dinner due to 6pm closures will stay open with the park, quick services will stay open later. All rides except the Safari, train, and animal trails will be open till close. Day shows will have 1-2 more showings later in the afternoon. And like you said, a new nighttime show(hopefully drones, maybe they make barges to float the drones out from the backstage area so they could launch right in the lagoon)

It's a half day park because it's only 20 dollars less than epcot but it closes 3 hours earlier with half the park closed 2 hours before it even actually closes with no nighttime show. I'd go to epcot or studios too if I was weighing out how much I'm getting for my money

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom