News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Even if it's an upgrade, a net loss of rides is not the best outcome. I'd be fine losing the area if we got more (not necessarily in this area, but just in general for the park on top of losing this). But we now are looking at a coaster, spinner, play area, kind of a secondary play area (yes I know it's not liked), and whatever we classify Dino as for 2 new rides and maybe a carrousel. An animal walkthrough would help me feel better about it, but I'm still just not over the moon for a place that needs more, not just better. Maybe Lion King comes and that helps some, but still, these parks need more to do. And I'm going to remain very pessimistic on how well things are going to be done (especially Encanto which doesn't feel like it's going to fit).

Net loss of *rides*?

Previously:
  1. DINOSAUR
  2. Countdown
  3. Tri

New:
  1. Indy
  2. Encanto
  3. Carousel

3 = 3

The Encanto ride should have a significant increase in capacity.

And what is this "coaster we are looking at"?

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Even if it's an upgrade, a net loss of rides is not the best outcome. I'd be fine losing the area if we got more (not necessarily in this area, but just in general for the park on top of losing this). But we now are looking at a coaster, spinner, play area, kind of a secondary play area (yes I know it's not liked), and whatever we classify Dino as for 2 new rides and maybe a carrousel. An animal walkthrough would help me feel better about it, but I'm still just not over the moon for a place that needs more, not just better. Maybe Lion King comes and that helps some, but still, these parks need more to do. And I'm going to remain very pessimistic on how well things are going to be done (especially Encanto which doesn't feel like it's going to fit).
Technically it's a net gane when all said and done. The Encanto ride will have more capacity than primeval wirl, and it will be indoors so it won't close cause of weather. Indy and Dino have the same so there's no loss there. And in pretty sure a carousel has more capacity than a dumbo spinner ripoff. Sure there will be a temporary loss while all this is down but when everything reopens it will be a net gain.

Gusey

If the Boneyard is replaced by an animal exhibit, that would be fine regarding capacity if its enough to be considered an attraction like Mahrajah/Gorilla Falls can be seen as walkthrough attractions. Also, Primeval Whirl has been closed for over 4 years now, so anything going in its former location should be seen as a net gain now, especially as Encanto will probabl have a higher capacity and appeal to all family members.

KDM31091

I understand the complaints about Dinorama being lackluster, etc, but again, why not improve Dinoland, make it awesome, and add Tropical Americas elsewhere? They have the space. They have the money. Add capacity to the park. Dinosaurs are an eternal theme. They deserve a place in the park. To excise them completely is just crazy.

Restaurantosaurus is very themed. Every inch of it is basically covered in theming. Given recent track record of making things more generic, I find it hard to believe it will be replaced with something that is as heavily themed. I am scared we will just get a bland, beige/gray food court.

I rode Dinosaur last week and several children in the preshow were absolutely enamored, talking about this ride featuring Dr Seeker and us going to retrieve a dino. Things don't have to be IP to be successful.

ToTBellHop

I understand the complaints about Dinorama being lackluster, etc, but again, why not improve Dinoland, make it awesome, and add Tropical Americas elsewhere? They have the space. They have the money. Add capacity to the park. Dinosaurs are an eternal theme. They deserve a place in the park. To excise them completely is just crazy.

Restaurantosaurus is very themed. Every inch of it is basically covered in theming. Given recent track record of making things more generic, I find it hard to believe it will be replaced with something that is as heavily themed. I am scared we will just get a bland, beige/gray food court.

I rode Dinosaur last week and several children in the preshow were absolutely enamored, talking about this ride featuring Dr Seeker and us going to retrieve a dino. Things don't have to be IP to be successful.
Dinosaur is IP-based?

Tha Realest

I mean yes, technically, but super loosely. The Iguanodon is indeed the same one from the Dinosaur movie. That's about it in terms of IP. Seeker is not from a movie. He's a character strictly created for the ride. My point is things do not have to be fully movie based attractions to be successful.
Dinosaur was the fifth highest grossing film of 2000.

PATF was the 26th for 2009.

LSLS

Net loss of *rides*?

Previously:
  1. DINOSAUR
  2. Countdown
  3. Tri

New:
  1. Indy
  2. Encanto
  3. Carousel

3 = 3

The Encanto ride should have a significant increase in capacity.

And what is this "coaster we are looking at"?
My fault, I meant attractions. I'm counting the Boneyard (which is why I mentioned a walk through animal area as helping). I just think DAK needs a lot more capacity then an additional 500 per hour or so (assuming the rides stay reliable). Again, I'm not really attached to Dinosaur at all aside from the Boneyard cause it's a nice thing for younger kids, especially boys, but I'm big on adding more stuff to do, especially here and at DHS.

Gusey

Because if they just improved Dinoland, they'd still have to come up with an attraction to replace Primeval Whirl, which had a small footprint. They'd still need to close more of Dinorama to make way for a new attraction in this space, especially when you consider that the original plans for Dinoland would have had the Excavator roller coaster take up all of the Dinorama space (TriceraTop Spin to Primeval Whirl) By that point, you are already developing half of the Dinoland, so might as well redevelop the whole land into something new. They could have split the land in half like the Moana/Zootopia Blue Sky, keeping Dinoland in the South and Tropical Americas in the North of the land, but then they'd need to create another resetaurant and another shop for the North to make it a "land".
I'm going to miss Dinosaur as I can't do rollercoasters, but Dinosaur had enough thrill in it to make it more exciting than just a classic dark ride. At least Indiana Jones should be a similar ride vehicle experience, just with different scenes.

DCLcruiser

Dinorama was a product of the “budget” Eisner era. Same deal as early DCA. Build cheap amusement park rides but make the theme a cheap amusement park so *technically* they’re not breaking Disney code.

Dinorama is horrible. I’m sorry for those who like it, but I’ve never got why you’d want a piece of a Six Flags midway in the middle of the most beautiful and well themed WDW park. Of all the things they could have done to represent Dinosaurs, they chose to build a corner of a state fair and just let it sit there for 20+ years.

The Chester and Hester “story” is funny and all, but let’s not pretend any guests (who aren’t hardcore Disney fans) actually paid attention or got it. It’s always looked like one of those pop up carnivals you find in mall parking lots, and it functioned a lot like one too, with the exception of CTX and the Boneyard.
The only part of Dinorama that I appreciated was that they painted parking spot lines to make it look authentic.

DCLcruiser

Yeah that was pretty much how it was described to me. Moana and LK are both boats so changing Encanto to an omni allows it to still be a people eater while also giving a little more diversity amongst the new attractions.
Wait what is the LK ride? I thought that was just a joke or hearsay.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I mean yes, technically, but super loosely. The Iguanodon is indeed the same one from the Dinosaur movie. That's about it in terms of IP. Seeker is not from a movie. He's a character strictly created for the ride. My point is things do not have to be fully movie based attractions to be successful.
The carnotaurus model is also the same as is used in the movie (though not sure which came first, or if they were developed simultaneously)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom