News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Where would one see dinosaurs along a train ride through the West??
Well, it doesn't have to be along the western area of the railroad, it could be added anywhere along the grand circle tour, Disneyland has it right before the Main Street station. The WDW RR is very boring, there's nothing to look at besides that one view of big thunder and seven seas lagoon. Anyway I'll stop talking about this since this thread is about DAK not MK.

999th Happy Haunt

Disney owns Ice Age - a franchise about prehistoric animals that would work fine in Dinoland (and add some diversity regarding animal species to the park!). They did not create it, but they have shown that they're still willing to milk the franchise even after shutting down Blue Sky Studios in an attempt to kill Nimona. And if we're going to say The Good Dinosaur doesn't deserve anything in the parks because it was a flop, the most recent Indiana Jones movie was a flop too. And Disney also considered The Princess and the Frog a flop (it wasn't, but they considered it one), but THAT'S getting an attraction.
I love Dinosaur. I really like most of Dinoland. If the only way to have it stick around was to add attractions based on Ice Age and TGD, I would prefer Tropical Americas any day of the week.

Moth

I love Dinosaur. I really like most of Dinoland. If the only way to have it stick around was to add attractions based on Ice Age and TGD, I would prefer Tropical Americas any day of the week.
I wouldn't mind Ice Age. I think that'd be good for a more "family" area in a park that could use it.

I feel like the biggest missed opportunity, more than UP for Tropical Americas, is the lack of Rio in these plans. That film fits with AK like a glove.

999th Happy Haunt

I wouldn't mind Ice Age. I think that'd be good for a more "family" area in a park that could use it.

I feel like the biggest missed opportunity, more than UP for Tropical Americas, is the lack of Rio in these plans. That film fits with AK like a glove.
I know it’s all under Disney now, but those Blue Sky films feel beneath Disney’s established IP to me if that makes any sense. But they might be on par now given some recent releases haha

Moth

I know it’s all under Disney now, but those Blue Sky films feel beneath Disney’s established IP to me if that makes any sense. But they might be on par now given some recent releases haha
Oh I know that's the likely reason why anything Blue Sky will never be repped. I just think it'd be fun.

SilentWindODoom

2) Keep the focus of the land on animals and the natural world. I don't want Encanto and Indiana Jones Land, neither IP really fits in Animal Kingdom at all what with them not being about animals (yes, I know Antonio exists, but Disney's likely to have the Encanto attraction focus on Mirabel over him since she's the lead character). I think Up and Rio would be more fitting IPs to have here than either of them.

I doubt the Encanto attraction will focus on Antonio and his animal pals. It'll likely focus on the more popular parts of the movie - Mirabel, Bruno, etc.

Oh yeah, and they'll definitely sing "We Don't Talk About Bruno" at some point. Probably with the same lyrics, even though the attraction will probably take place after the movie and the song won't make sense as a result (a la "Let It Go" in Frozen Ever After).

Even ignoring the fact that Antonio is a minor character, the idea that the hypothetical Encanto attraction will focus on him and Dolores teaching us about nature is very unlikely. People were claiming that Frozen Ever After might teach us about Norway, and it didn't.

I guarantee you it'll focus on the popular merchandise-selling characters - Mirabel, Bruno, maybe Luisa too. And they'll all sing songs from the movie as the vehicle goes by. Nothing to do with animals whatsoever.

Still, I doubt that the Encanto ride will focus on Antonio and/or Dolores over the more popular Mirabel.

Once again, isn't Antonio a minor character in the movie? Does he even sell that much merchandise? I doubt Disney would want their Encanto ride to focus on him over Mirabel or Bruno.

Again, I see no reason to automatically believe that Antonio will be the focus of the Encanto ride, or that the ride will focus on animals at all.

Is Antonio even a popular enough character for Disney to justify having the Encanto attraction star him? Does Antonio merchandise sell really well?

If Antonio doesn't have to be the star, how would the attraction be about animals, therefore "fitting" in Animal Kingdom?

Well, I sincerely doubt an attraction where Mirabel and Antonio teach us about protecting the environment is what Disney would want to build for their ride based on the ever-so-popular Encanto.

I'd be shocked if the Encanto ride is about animals. I'd also be shocked if at no point in the attraction did the characters sing "We Don't Talk About Bruno".

Is there any actual proof that it's gonna be focused on Antonio? That just seems to be a justification for Encanto being in Animal Kingdom that I've seen on here.

What about Encanto? Is THAT ride being made to 'fit' the park's theme? And no, Antonio does not automatically make the movie a good fit for Animal Kingdom.

I literally just said that Antonio's existence doesn't make Encanto fitting for Animal Kingdom. I see no reason why Disney would build an Encanto attraction that focuses on Antonio over more popular characters like Mirabel and Bruno.

I guarantee it'll just be Frozen Ever After 3.0. I'd be shocked if they didn't sing "We Don't Talk About Bruno" at any point in the attraction.

I thought the latest message gave me a sense of deja vu. No wonder.

Okay. We've heard you. You have a mystical future sight that 100% guarantees what will happen. The huge swell of excitement over representation in the movie and the children that were delighted to see themselves in a Disney film doesn't exist, no matter how much people directly responded to you in this thread to explain that. The needle can be taken off the record. The point has been made.

Now the rest can have a discussion.

SilentWindODoom

how exactly does DLR always find ways to just add - even having to deal with complicated space and backstage challenges - while WDW just gets rid of things that are less old?

Likely because of a combination of the regular vs. once-in-a-lifer perception that also leads to differences in upkeep standards and the fact that Disneyland's status as Walt's park ironically leads to it having more of a museum status with more outrage over losses.

I loved those figures so much, it's utterly devastating knowing they were unsalvageable.

Indeed. Energy was a favorite of mine.

I didn't even expect them to necessarily make it to Cosmic Rewind. I thought they'd be homaged with a screen of longnecks munching in a swamp during a jump, but nothing of the sort happened with all the action taking place in space. :(

One would think they’d be able to be recreated using the Disneyland blueprints and skin molds, yes?

The problem is getting them to do that. Having dinosaurs around with nothing to do with them is one thing. It's why we got the Anaheim diorama to begin with. But actually creating something wholesale for a railroad that's been left the way it is for so long... it doesn't seem nearly a high priority.

sedati

One way to bring more nature into the Indiana Jones ride would be if we exited in and out of the temple ruins. The other rides take place entirely inside their temples, but our jeeps could be sent outside (while still in the show-building) creating a sort-of hybrid experience between the Indy rides and Dinosaur.

Brer Panther

I thought the latest message gave me a sense of deja vu. No wonder.

Okay. We've heard you. You have a mystical future sight that 100% guarantees what will happen. The huge swell of excitement over representation in the movie and the children that were delighted to see themselves in a Disney film doesn't exist, no matter how much people directly responded to you in this thread to explain that. The needle can be taken off the record. The point has been made.
I keep saying this because people keep throwing Antonio at me as a "justification" for Encanto in Animal Kingdom.

I also don't appreciate you basically implying that I'm racist by throwing the "representation" card my way.

mickEblu

One way to bring more nature into the Indiana Jones ride would be if we exited in and out of the temple ruins. The other rides take place entirely inside their temples, but our jeeps could be sent outside (while still in the show-building) creating a sort-of hybrid experience between the Indy rides and Dinosaur.

Nice concept but I don’t think they’d be able to execute that well especially when you have attractions like ROTR and RSR where you really go in and out of buildings.

Rich Brownn

Correct me if I’m wrong, or confirm if I’m right, but I’m pretty sure that insiders have said somewhere on this site that this was looked into, and the animatronics were determined to be too old and too large to be worth moving. From what I remember, they would have had to be completely rebuilt. So no, not really a missed opportunity, just an unfortunate circumstance. And to answer your question, they probably recycled what they could and threw out what they could not. A sad fate for such amazing animatronics, but fickle progress doth march on.
Too old? The Disneyland ones were made in 1963 for the 64/65 NY Worlds Fair. In fact, Energy reused most of the molds

Rich Brownn

To be fair none of DCA’s opening day attractions survived the reimagining in the mid 2010’s.

Unfortunately some of the rides in Epcot didn’t age very well and needed to be replaced because of unpopularity.

I do wish GMR stayed and maybe Horizon’s because it looked really cool however it seemed it was built only for the time period it opened and didn’t translate well to the newer generation.
They were replaced (or abandoned) because they lost sponsorship and Disney didn't want to pay for upkeep for long, AA-heavy attractions.

SilentWindODoom

I keep saying this because people keep throwing Antonio at me as a "justification" for Encanto in Animal Kingdom.

I also don't appreciate you basically implying that I'm racist by throwing the "representation" card my way.

It's a way to make it work.

Believe me, I'm far from the kind of person who's going to accuse anyone of racism unless they outright say something racist. And even then it's a big enough charge to give someone the benefit of the doubt and have further conversation until suspicions are confirmed.

Your words suggested nobody cares about Antonio. I remember someone directly countered with a small slice of the publicity over how much of a cultural moment his presence was. But it didn't seem to make a difference. That is what I said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom