News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are exceptions - Country Bears in Florida and the Treehouse in California are recent examples. Dinosaur is technically an IP.
Country Bears is getting an IP overlay in the form of its new song set.

Treehouse is half and half. Part of it is still 'inspired' by the Swiss Family Robinson IP.

Identifying Dinosaur as an IP is indeed technically correct -- and being technically correct is the best kind of correct -- but its shelf life is expiring. And it was stuck with non-IP rides in its miniland.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

You keep posting like you don't read the threads you're posting to.

The Indy retheme is being made to 'fit' DAK's theme.
I've been lurking the thread for a while now so I don't really feel the need to dignify this with a proper response.
They didn't even TRY to fight Universal. They did nothing with Dinoland after Finding Nemo: The Musical opened, made zero effort to improve the land, didn't even TRY to add better dinosaur-themed rides to the land. Eisner probably would've attempted it, but Iger hates all non-IP attractions because he's terrified of taking risks.
Dinosaurs are such an easy sell too, like you'd think Disney would at the very least take advantage of "the blessing of space" WDW has and maybe add a small walking trail with animatronic dinosaurs or a new E-Ticket where Chester and Hester's currently is. I love the kitsch Dino-Rama brings to the area and I'm aware it's not for everyone, but it felt more like a temporary "band-aid" solution they just never bothered to fix/update.
Disney owns Ice Age - a franchise about prehistoric animals that would work fine in Dinoland (and add some diversity regarding animal species to the park!). They did not create it, but they have shown that they're still willing to milk the franchise even after shutting down Blue Sky Studios in an attempt to kill Nimona. And if we're going to say The Good Dinosaur doesn't deserve anything in the parks because it was a flop, the most recent Indiana Jones movie was a flop too. And Disney also considered The Princess and the Frog a flop (it wasn't, but they considered it one), but THAT'S getting an attraction.
I complain about the presence of IP in the parks a lot, but Ice Age would not only fit the area but enhance it and encompass a different group of prehistoric animals as well. There's at least two Ice Age attractions that currently exist in different parts around the world, but they're not nearly as polished as a WDI built attraction would be. I grew up on the Ice Age franchise and would love to see a well-thought out take on it in a theme park that's capable of building ambitious attractions.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
complain about the presence of IP in the parks a lot, but Ice Age would not only fit the area but enhance it and encompass a different group of prehistoric animals as well. There's at least two Ice Age attractions that currently exist in different parts around the world, but they're not nearly as polished as a WDI built attraction would be. I grew up on the Ice Age franchise and would love to see a well-thought out take on it in a theme park that's capable of building ambitious attractions.
The Ice Age franchise collapsed on itself.

While the first was loved and the second liked, after that, the reviews from critics and audience cratered for 3-5 (along with the Box Office). Disney attempted a D+ short for Ice Age, and that also was rated poorly. Disney hasn't returned to that well.

That being said, I would think an Ice Age attraction featuring the extinct mammals of the megafauna age could work. But it's competing against much more popular IP for space.

Howabout a mashup of Ice Age with Night at the Museum?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'm sold. Though, how has the Night at the Museum franchise been doing? Besides the animated film that dropped with little to no fanfare, the last installment was released in 2015.
Film and animated series came and went with no big splash.

Maybe we can create a brand of the acquired third tier properties joining them together to create a new brand with synergy, like the Disney Princesses.

We'll use Ice Age and Night at the Museum and Robots and Percy Jackson and call it Disney Foxes(tm)!

In the Parks
No
To re-create where the dinos in MK comparable to where they are in DL... there is no room. The dinos would have to be between Frontierland and Circus.

BTW, remind me... why is an old timey train traveling through Dino times? No more odder than going thru Tomorrowland, but still... odd. Where's our thematic purists on this issue? The ones that get the vapors with TBA's fit?
Because you're on a train that clearly transcends the bounds of time and space it originates from. Why wouldn't you go through Dino times?

I don't really mind TBA because it's in Frontierland...my vapors come from much deeper reservoirs, such as the decision to make it a sequel, eliminate the villain, but the fact that it's in Frontierland doesn't help either. But that's a topic for another thread...or maybe not, since we're discouraged from talking about this anymore.

The Ice Age franchise collapsed on itself.
Fully agree on this. Born in '97, I saw and loved the first Ice Age, didn't like the second, and never saw any of the other ones. Disney would be wise to leave Ice Age in the past, so to speak.

I canNOT believe that Jurassic Park is the reason Disney is abandoning dinosaurs. It's just their darn obsession with using flavor-of-the-month (more like flavor-of-the-last-decade) IP. They had nothing good with dinosaurs, so it had to go. It's a dumb decision though, because an 8 yr old boy thinks dinosaurs are cool, and he doesn't care if they are owned by Universal or Disney. They're just cool. And now the superior dinosaur attraction is going away, and my nephews won't have gotten to experience it.

SilentWindODoom

Good message, but it wasn’t an engaging story. Almost as if they were focusing more on spreading the message than telling the best story.

It gave us a lot of characters, but didn't flesh them all out well. Much like I felt when I saw Jumper years earlier, I left feeling like it was a good beginning. But I want more. I feel like a series could give us that.

Ehhh they already missed one opportunity when Ellen's Energy Adventure closed conviently when the railroad was shut down. Wonder where those dinos are today...

Sadly, according to a number of people, they were so old and brittle that they just collapsed into nothing when they tried to remove them. :cry:

EDIT: Whoa! Hitting that I did want to show the recent posts did not load them all, leaving almost an entire page that I didn't know were there. C'est la vie. This was the last thing I was doing before sleep, so I'll just catch up in the morning.

Last edited:

osian

Speaking to the roughness, I’m an infrequent visitor but so when I went last month i got a final ride in.

I was prepared for the worst but was pleasantly surprised. It still moved around a lot but it wasn’t as jerky as I remembered. But who knows it coulda all been in my head that it was smoother
I think it depends where you sit. Depending on how fast it pitches and rolls and where the centre of movement is, some seats will move more aggressively than others. ISTR the front-left seat is particularly jarring, it does a lot of dropping at an angle - but I can't remember now if this was Dinosaur or IJ! I think probably seats 2 and 3 in the middle row move least.

ToTBellHop

I was reminiscing the days when DAK was open at night, tree of life awakenings, entertainment, Rivers of Light, brand new nighttime Pandora.. and I really miss those. Hoping this project makes the park return to that level.
Excited to see the park at night in December…it’s been awhile for us.

Do they maintain Pandora’s glow for the few months of the year the park is open after sunset?

ToTBellHop

😂 Well, that's certainly some kind of take, isn't it? Tell me you have no idea of who she is without telling me.
I loved Fleabag. Didn’t care for her in Indy but I can’t think of a single actor whom I’ve enjoyed in every role. And, to be fair, she portrayed Helena Shaw as the character was written. Dial of Destiny had a ton of bad writing. Does that also make Harrison Ford an awful actor, now?

Ayla

I loved Fleabag. Didn’t care for her in Indy but I can’t think of a single actor whom I’ve enjoyed in every role. And, to be fair, she portrayed Helena Shaw as the character was written. Dial of Destiny had a ton of bad writing. Does that also make Harrison Ford an awful actor, now?
(Yes.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom