News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

TheRealSkull

Hopefully they reuse those dinosaurs animatronics to create a diorama on the WDW RR, which they could conveniently build while the railroad is down (yet again) for BBT. But, this is wdw management, they'll probably miss that opportunity yet again.
Ehhh they already missed one opportunity when Ellen's Energy Adventure closed conviently when the railroad was shut down. Wonder where those dinos are today...

Brer Panther

You're just going to post your problem with a possible Antonio's door over and over again for the next few years, aren't you?
I literally just said that Antonio's existence doesn't make Encanto fitting for Animal Kingdom. I see no reason why Disney would build an Encanto attraction that focuses on Antonio over more popular characters like Mirabel and Bruno.

I guarantee it'll just be Frozen Ever After 3.0. I'd be shocked if they didn't sing "We Don't Talk About Bruno" at any point in the attraction.

doctornick

As theme parks' rides get old, Disney has choices:
  1. do the repairs
  2. retheme and update
  3. demolish and replace
The reason why choices #2 and #3 are in the mix is because the cost of the repairs may be very extensive. And if they're going to spend that much... maybe make it something more popular or much better instead, or synergistically reinforce their brands. That was the calculus with TGMR.
how exactly does DLR always find ways to just add - even having to deal with complicated space and backstage challenges - while WDW just gets rid of things that are less old?

RSoxNo1

I wonder if WDW will use the "one new big thing per year" strategy. If so, we might be looking at something like this:

2024 TBA
2025 Full press on entertainment including parades, night parades, and drones
2026 DAK: Tropical America
2027 MK: Beyond BTMR
2028 DHS: 'something big'
2029 EPCOT: Figment/Inside Out
2030 DAK: Zootopia in Tree of Life
2031 MK: Moana
2032 DAK: Lion King ride
2033 MK: BBTMR phase 2
2034 5th Gate: Cupcakeland

Count your blessings if two of the things happen in the same year.
Zootopia in Tree of Life is a big thing?

splah

Speaking to the roughness, I’m an infrequent visitor but so when I went last month i got a final ride in.

I was prepared for the worst but was pleasantly surprised. It still moved around a lot but it wasn’t as jerky as I remembered. But who knows it coulda all been in my head that it was smoother

Earlie the Pearlie

Ehhh they already missed one opportunity when Ellen's Energy Adventure closed conviently when the railroad was shut down. Wonder where those dinos are today...
Correct me if I’m wrong, or confirm if I’m right, but I’m pretty sure that insiders have said somewhere on this site that this was looked into, and the animatronics were determined to be too old and too large to be worth moving. From what I remember, they would have had to be completely rebuilt. So no, not really a missed opportunity, just an unfortunate circumstance. And to answer your question, they probably recycled what they could and threw out what they could not. A sad fate for such amazing animatronics, but fickle progress doth march on.

TrainsOfDisney

Correct me if I’m wrong, or confirm if I’m right, but I’m pretty sure that insiders have said somewhere on this site that this was looked into, and the animatronics were determined to be too old and too large to be worth moving.
They also used obsolete technology like the lights of winter and were built over a sinkhole like Horizons.

Joking of course - I’m sure that some of the AA’s couldn’t have easily been moved and would have required lots of work - but there also would have been ways to save some of them I’m sure. Either at Epcot or DAK.

eddie104

how exactly does DLR always find ways to just add - even having to deal with complicated space and backstage challenges - while WDW just gets rid of things that are less old?
To be fair none of DCA’s opening day attractions survived the reimagining in the mid 2010’s.

Unfortunately some of the rides in Epcot didn’t age very well and needed to be replaced because of unpopularity.

I do wish GMR stayed and maybe Horizon’s because it looked really cool however it seemed it was built only for the time period it opened and didn’t translate well to the newer generation.

TrainsOfDisney

To be fair none of DCA’s opening day attractions survived the reimagining in the mid 2010’s.
Grizzly River Run, Jumpin Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr and Soarin did.

Soarin did get the new movie but I’m not sure if that counts? I’d also argue that majority of rides on the pier are pretty much the same with a little retheme - the carousel being the exception (still makes me mad!)

eddie104

Grizzly River Run, Jumpin Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr and Soarin did.
Thanks as I misspoke regarding my previous statement.

Anyways nothing stays the same forever was my original point. Sometimes the changes are for the worst or the better.

We can’t keep harping on things we can’t change. I’m looking forward to all the new rides WDI has been planning and also any updates to current ones.

doctornick

We can’t keep harping on things we can’t change. I’m looking forward to all the new rides WDI has been planning and also any updates to current ones.

I personally look forward to having actual park expansions so you have more than 8 or 9 rides at some of the busiest theme parks in the world. DHS has RNR offline right now and if ToT or RotR goes out in a given day... sheesh.

I don't have a problem with replacing rides per se (though I would hope that any replacements should be clearly superior to what is taken away and that's often not the case) but my bigger gripe is that they haven't improved attraction capacity anywhere near as much as they have needed to and it makes the parks a slog when remotely busy.

Specific to the topic: okay, replace Dinosaur with Indy (I wouldn't, but whatever) and adding Encanto is nice even though there was no reason to just remove PW before, but why not add the Carousel and reskin the spinner? Why not keep the Boneyard even with an Archaeology theme? Why not add both a Lion King ride and a new attraction in Pandora?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hopefully they reuse those dinosaurs animatronics to create a diorama on the WDW RR, which they could conveniently build while the railroad is down (yet again) for BBT. But, this is wdw management, they'll probably miss that opportunity yet again.
To re-create where the dinos in MK comparable to where they are in DL... there is no room. The dinos would have to be between Frontierland and Circus.

BTW, remind me... why is an old timey train traveling through Dino times? No more odder than going thru Tomorrowland, but still... odd. Where's our thematic purists on this issue? The ones that get the vapors with TBA's fit?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They keep taking over back of house like they did for SGE and MMRR? How's the Bug's Life miniland doing? ;)

The number of rides are comparable for all of DLR compared to all of the WDW resort. They're both adding and retheming in such a way so that they remain mostly tied with each other. Long ago, with all of its space, WDW could have pulled far ahead of DLR. But it *seems* that Disney doesn't want that to happen.

DLR's next additions will be with the Disney Forward plots. Apparently, DLR is finding it hard to do further expansion within the current boundaries. There's a limit to their spatial wizardry.

WDW's next additions will be beyond BTM, behind PotC , and in between Pandora and FotLK. That's new rides without retheming/rebuilding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom