News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Luigi

I don’t understand how this is really an “expansion” since the attraction count will almost certainly be the same or lower
Encanto House, if the rumored Omnimover system is correct, will allow 2000+ riders per hour which is way more than the estimated 900 per hour Primeval Whirl allowed.
New technology for the Indy ride will mean less breakdowns like on Dinosaur.
Plus the draw of an evergreen IP...I'm sorry...will attract more riders, like Frozen Ever After.

Thematics aside...it will increase some capacity on that side of the park.

LSLS

Absolutely. Norway did not gain an attraction, but it does have increased attendance and guest pull. Capacity is being utilized fully now.
But that's the thing. It opened in 2016. With the exception of Soarin (which might have to do with the movie change in 2016, so people flocked in 2015?), every ride at Epcot stayed the same or increased in wait times. So adding a popular ride didn't do much to pull guests away from other rides and bring down waits, it just added people to the park with no other things to do. So replacements won't help with the wait times, they need to add more.
1712251617508.png

Andrew25

They need to make AK a full day park and have a nice nighttime show that can perform multiple times since the seating is limited. I’m not sure this expansion will make AK a full day park still for many
With this expansion, it'll get closer to DHS's lineup. If they put a nighttime show there, it'll give them the opportunity to keep folks late into the night like Fantasmic does... if it's good.

DAK
  • 5.5 major attractions (Na'vi is 1/2 lol)
  • 2 major live shows
DHS
  • 6.5 major attractions (Star Tours isn't as popular as it used to be)
  • 3 major live shows

Luigi

They need to make AK a full day park and have a nice nighttime show that can perform multiple times since the seating is limited. I’m not sure this expansion will make AK a full day park still for many
YES! THIS!
I am hoping the Drone show in Disney Springs will convince them to create one for AK at the Discovery River viewing area.

People will stay for that!

Andrew25

But that's the thing. It opened in 2016. With the exception of Soarin (which might have to do with the movie change in 2016, so people flocked in 2015?), every ride at Epcot stayed the same or increased in wait times. So adding a popular ride didn't do much to pull guests away from other rides and bring down waits, it just added people to the park with no other things to do. So replacements won't help with the wait times, they need to add more.
View attachment 777044
Well, take into account that we also "lost" capacity over time with Ellen/Figment losing popularity due to lack of upkeep/updates, horrendous replacements to high-capacity experiences like the Magic Eye theater or weak attractions like Awesome Planet.

LSLS

Well, take into account that we also "lost" capacity over time with Ellen/Figment losing popularity due to lack of upkeep/updates, horrendous replacements to high-capacity experiences like the Magic Eye theater or weak attractions like Awesome Planet.
Figment had longer waits in 2017 than before (albeit just a couple of minutes). Ellen saw a minute or two decrease (gone by 2018). People didn't really stop going to the smaller rides, there were just more people in the park for the Frozen ride. Which goes back to why people scream we don't need all these E ticket rides, and why they say replacements aren't going to help a ton, we need more smaller attractions to spread people out.

DisneyDodo

View attachment 777044
With something as popular as Frozen, the wait time improvements would have been more likely to have been seen in the other parks than in Epcot itself because FEA likely pulled many families who would have otherwise skipped Epcot to that park. In turn, they may have skipped DHS or DAK instead.

doctornick

Well, there is supposedly an additional attraction being considered/planned besides the Tropical Americas stuff. e.g maybe a third ride in Pandora shared with DL or a Lion King ride in Africa. I think something like that, coupled with an Encanto dark ride with high capacity, would make a big difference.

Would also be good if they used the theater on the water for both a daytime show and a night time show.

Andrew25

Well, there is supposedly an additional attraction being considered/planned besides the Tropical Americas stuff. e.g maybe a third ride in Pandora shared with DL or a Lion King ride in Africa. I think something like that, coupled with an Encanto dark ride with high capacity, would make a big difference.

Would also be good if they used the theater on the water for both a daytime show and a night time show.
Unless it's a flat ride, not much space available unless the Nemo theater is replaced.

PerGron

Will be curious if they add any animal exhibits to the area
This is what I’m really hopeful for.

I can accept Encanto and Indy as tangentially related to nature (they’re both a stretch, but oh well) so long as there’s some sort of animal trail and exhibits included.

South America and the Amazon is insanely biodiverse and could include so many really neat animals not already at DAK as well as bring the anteaters from the Oasis over. Species like the beloved capybara, howler and/or spider monkeys, tons and tons of birds for a new aviary, jaguars, named wolves, Andean bears, there’s so much they could do with actual animals for, you know, ANIMAL Kingdom

Phicinfan

How do you figure that? What does Indiana Jones have to do with animals, aside from his fear of snakes?

Ditto with Encanto. The only connection with animals is the one kid who can talk to them. Big deal.

Zootopia would make much more sense than either of those choices. And they are dumb choices. Very dumb.

Beastly Kingdomme would be the best choice of all, but yeah...we ain't getting that.
Because AK is not just about animals and they are declaring this a S. American area. Which Encanto and an Incan temple for Indy would fit

doctornick

View attachment 777044

I believe that Soarin' dip was because they added the third theater, so increasing that rider throughput in the ride by 50%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom