News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

DisneyHead123

They are progressively abandoning large playscapes that must be staffed to prevent dangerous behavior. It’s unfortunate but too many parents do not parent their children. A carousel is safer. I used to hate taking my kids to playgrounds because of the other kids.
Those tunnel slides are hard because of low visibility. I was at a McDonalds play place last summer and only realized after 45 minutes that the slide was full of puke which is why the kids were avoiding it. Kids climbing up the wrong way and getting smashed by kids sliding down is also an issue.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What really chaps my hide is this:

That area, as stripped down as it was, was pure WDI - Original, creative, and unrestrained (except for the idiots who cut the budget). You had no expectations before you entered and were astounded at what you saw.

Now, with Indy and Encanto and/or Coco going in, you have expectations before you even set foot in the area. Imagineers are restrained to what's familiar and from the movies. They are not allowed to flex any sort of creative muscle and come up with new and unique ideas for the area - It all has to be based on the movies.

What "faith" Bob & Josh have in WDI. :rolleyes:

Disney Analyst

They never said all of the spending was on expansion. This is an underutilized area of the park that needs work.

And I’d still argue, adding attractions that are more popular, that pulls more guests in, does increase capacity, and does help the park. Even if attraction count stays close to the same.

Many people skipped over Dinoland’s attractions. Low capacity, not interesting.

And building a richly themed land with more things to explore also helps.

ToTBellHop

And I’d still argue, adding attractions that are more popular, that pulls more guests in, does increase capacity, and does help the park.

Absolutely. Still hoping for some modest animal exhibits, though. There are plenty of Central American animals that don’t need huge enclosures.

Andrew25

And I’d still argue, adding attractions that are more popular, that pulls more guests in, does increase capacity, and does help the park. Even if attraction count stays close to the same.

I'd say the same about Maelstrom being converted to Frozen. We can go back and forth about whether or not you like FEA, but it is far more in demand than Maelstrom ever was.

Disney Analyst

In short attraction count is really not as important as attraction pull. The types of rides you are putting in.

Replacing a small wild mouse coaster with limited capacity with a potential high capacity popular IP dark ride (Encanto), is utilizing the space better, and will have far wider appeal and guest pull. Capacity increases.

Starship824

In the Parks
No

Keep in mind that all the attractions that are adding also won't be impacted for weather since they're covered or indoors. Which also helps capacity.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Yeah, but the star in EE is (or was) the Yeti. An animal, albeit a mythical one. Again, what does Indy have to do with animals?

Come on, Indy's going in DAK because Iger doesn't give a damn about logic or themeing. He's gonna stick one of his acquisitions in DAK whether it makes sense or not. Oh well, at least the Indy fanboys (what's left of them, after that horrendous film) will be happy...
Animal Kingdom is about man’s relationship to nature and conservation, not just animals. A new Indiana Jones Adventure could absolutely fit that mold, and it’ll be better than any iteration of the attraction.

doctornick

I don’t understand how this is really an “expansion” since the attraction count will almost certainly be the same or lower

Agreed, though if there really ends up being an Encanto dark ride with high capacity, it will certainly help a lot. My one gut reaction is if they are really closing off the Boneyard :( then couldn't they at least have two flat rides - keep the spinner and retheme and also add a carousel. Even as small capacity as that would be, why not at least make anet positive in the ride count?

Also, it would help if they have an animal trail as well. Even if not as lavish as the ones in Asia or Africa, those are a valuable supporting feature for DAK in between rides.

Ice Gator

I’m actually completely on-board with everything they have planned for this area. Sure, there are IPs- but they actually all do fit the theme of the area. It’s going to be far more beautiful and fit with the look of AK than Dino Rama’s trashy Carnival look. And I KNOW we’re going to get some killer new South American food options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom