"El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante" name changed to "Tortuga Tavern"

Bairstow

As much of preservationist as I am, the old name was ridiculous. It had, what, 9 syllables? and didn't communicate anything about the fact that it was a restaurant or that it served tacos. I suppose the fact that the name is in Spanish might communicate Mexican food, but that's a stretch for the average guest.

Does anyone else feel like they might come out with a "non-alcoholic rum" to compete with Harry Potter's ButterBeer? :shrug:

You mean molasses? I know that's just what I want a cup of on a hot Florida day.

Ajax Redux

That place once served a foot long chili-cheese dog that required both hands and serving spoon to eat. I was a tad miffed when it went away.

NewfieFan

I like the old name as well but let's face it, no one outside of Disney Fanatics like ourselves remembered it. "Tortuga Tavern" rolls of the tounge and sticks in the brain much more than "El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante"

Gee, I couldn't even pronounce the old name! So how to do you saw the new name... is the emphasis on Tor-tuga or is it Tort-uga?

NewfieFan

tor TOO ga

Also, you need to watch Pirates of the Caribbean immediately. Don't bother with the sequels.

Thanks! I did watch PotC but it was so long ago I don't remember anything about it! Not really into the pirate craze... so maybe that's why nothing from the movie really has stuck with me!?! :shrug:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It seems that TDO wants a Tavern without alcohol in every land in the MK. Liberty Tree Tavern, Tortuga Tavern, and soon Gaston's Tavern. Can the Horseshoe Tavern, Tony's Town Square Tavern, and the Tomorrowland Tavern at Rockettower Plaza be far behind?

Other than the strangeness of all of the taverns being in the park with no alcohol, I'm fine with the name change, although I don't suspect that Tortuga was or is known for its Mexican food. Seems like the Mexican place belongs in Frontierland, but that's just me...

SirNim

A shame, really. I would love to see one of these things filled to the brim with room-temperature Appleton Estate and slid over the counter to curious tourists.
At least you can still get your rum fix in pirate-themed surroundings a short monorail ride away at the Polynesian.

tirian

Being from Texas and my family from Mexico, I'm going to have to say that no where in the Magic Kingdom, or much less WDW for that matter, is there "good" Mexican food. Just had to throw my two cents in. :lookaroun

Amen. I almost demanded my money back when I ate at the San Angel Inn, and La Hacienda isn't much better. :hurl:

HMF

Wow' the pirate captain in the mural does not look like the original captain of the Wicked Wench at all. :animwink::lookaroun

JustInTime

This is actually pretty exciting. Love it. But I don't think that is Blackbeard at all. I am pretty sure it's the Smoking Beard Pirate from the first movie.

HDS

Any true pirate has his trusty flask with him at all times ;) Even had a CM spot it and say "Is that your rum?" Yep "Cool". No problems at all

End of line...

cymbaldiva

Being from Texas and my family from Mexico, I'm going to have to say that no where in the Magic Kingdom, or much less WDW for that matter, is there "good" Mexican food. Just had to throw my two cents in. :lookaroun

Amen. I almost demanded my money back when I ate at the San Angel Inn, and La Hacienda isn't much better. :hurl:

Aw come on y'all, I'm from Texas too ~ Did you REALLY expect Disney to have good Mexican - or even decent Tex-Mex - food? :lol:

Any true pirate has his trusty flask with him at all times ;) Even had a CM spot it and say "Is that your rum?" Yep "Cool". No problems at all

End of line...

Love it!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom