"El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante" name changed to "Tortuga Tavern"

lebeau

Could this third MK "Tavren" be part of a plan by the "Bean Counters" to add alcohol in the future? :lookaroun

Man, people around here are literal!

MK has long had a dry saloon. Why is the use of the word "tavern" in a dry establishment so hard for people to swallow?

NMBC1993

I'm going to miss the old name as well, not everything has to be a tie-in. But if this means the restaurant will be open more than 2 days a year, I'll be happy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh man I miss the old name.

I'm going to miss the old name as well, not everything has to be a tie-in. But if this means the restaurant will be open more than 2 days a year, I'll be happy.
I like the old name as well but let's face it, no one outside of Disney Fanatics like ourselves remembered it. "Tortuga Tavern" rolls of the tounge and sticks in the brain much more than "El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante"

NMBC1993

I like the old name as well but let's face it, no one outside of Disney Fanatics like ourselves remembered it. "Tortuga Tavern" rolls of the tounge and sticks in the brain much more than "El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante"

You are right, it doesn't really bother me too much I just want to enjoy the restaurant more so it's win-win. Heck I even called it "El Pirata", the old name definitely doesn't roll off the tongue.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You are right, it doesn't really bother me too much I just want to enjoy the restaurant more so it's win-win. Heck I even called it "El Pirata", the old name definitely doesn't roll off the tongue.
The description "The taco place across from PotC that is always closed" seemed to be the most recognizable name for this place. Occasionally someone would know it by the English translation "The Pirate and the Parrot". :lol:

emaginear

Best TACOS in all the parks! Good Cheap Mexican food!

I read somewhere this TAVERN was to have a first for the Kingdom... I thought maybe RUm might be coming!

bgraham34

Yeah but how long until people call it the Tortilla place.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The description "The taco place across from PotC that is always closed" seemed to be the most recognizable name for this place. Occasionally someone would know it by the English translation "The Pirate and the Parrot". :lol:

LOL very true!

Penny Lane

Best TACOS in all the parks! Good Cheap Mexican food!

Being from Texas and my family from Mexico, I'm going to have to say that no where in the Magic Kingdom, or much less WDW for that matter, is there "good" Mexican food. Just had to throw my two cents in. :lookaroun

zooey

Outside of the PotC films, Tortuga was an actual pirate haven. It isn't as blatently synergistic as it could be. I like it.

Mansion Butler

Well. Should have come here before starting a topic about it in the Dining forum. Oops.

But I made a poll!

Anyway, I like that it's easier to say.

Have I missed anyone complaining that it's strange to call it a tavern when it doesn't serve alcohol?:ROFLOL:

Tortuga Tavern rolls off the tongue easier. I really hope it's open more often if not all the time now. I've never eaten there.
Meh.

Honestly, Taco Bell tastes better to me, even if it's not actual beef. The tacos are good at Pirata, but it's hard for me to justify the price when I know I can get tastier and more filling for 79 cents off property.

Sure, all park food is expensive, but most of it I'm okay with. Pirata, I'm not.

lazyboy97o

Outside of the PotC films, Tortuga was an actual pirate haven. It isn't as blatently synergistic as it could be. I like it.
I too like this aspect. It is also not a clunker like Jack Sparrow's™ Tortuga Pirate Hideaway Restaurant a Food and Beverage Location.

While El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante just oozes that old-style Disney, it is a clunker and by now sounds more like some sort of obscure beachside restaurant.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
These were sent to me over weekend (thanks C) - they seem to have been overlooked.

Attachments

• DCAM0001.JPG
    DCAM0001.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DCAM0002.JPG
    DCAM0002.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 202
  • DCAM0003.JPG
    DCAM0003.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 197
  • DCAM0004.JPG
    DCAM0004.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 195

TinkerBell9988

I'm Cuban, so the name rolls off of my tongue quite nicely! :lol:

Going to miss the old name, but I kinda like the subtle tie-in... And I'm happy I'll be able to get my taco salad more often!

menamechris

Does anyone else feel like they might come out with a "non-alcoholic rum" do compete with Harry Potter's ButterBeer? :shrug:

While that would be clever, it sounds like it would be more work than payoff. No way you would have people lining their kids up for "rum". And Disney would be afraid of being accused of contributing to underage drinking. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom